Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #171
Gamer24

Arrow

Hey everyone . I feel like a real retard but it seems that as soon as I unzip, download bosbox, mount the drive to access the game, change the directory to the game and then initializing to run orion.exe a prompt always comes up saying I have to run install to configure orion :tai: . It wont let me play the game. Does anyone have any tips so I can enjoy this game once more?

Last edited by arete; 13-10-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: smileys...
Gamer24 is offline                         Send a private message to Gamer24
Old 03-08-2007, 05:23 PM   #172
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

well, worked for me on the first try but... it did say you should run 'install' didnt it? did you do that?
Old 03-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #173
Gamer24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer24
Hey everyone . I feel like a real retard but it seems that as soon as I unzip, download bosbox, mount the drive to access the game, change the directory to the game and then initializing to run orion.exe a prompt always comes up saying I have to run install to configure orion :tai: . It wont let me play the game. Does anyone have any tips so I can enjoy this game once more?
NVM, it started working after about the 10th attempt. Now to battle.

Last edited by arete; 13-10-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: html and smileys
Gamer24 is offline                         Send a private message to Gamer24
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #174
siron
Lurker

DOSBox is such a convenient tool, actually the default to play MOO2 on XP, Linux, Mac, Vista etc.

Check out this link for DOSBox tuning:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2...box-guide.html

It is even possible to play MOO2 online games with DOSBox now.

And for those who asked. MOO2 isn't abandonware yet. Actually, Atari offered a MOO2 digital download recently.

http://www.atari.com/us/games/moo2_battle_anta/pc
siron is offline                         Send a private message to siron
Old 16-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #175
Avelardo
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by siron
Actually, Atari offered a MOO2 digital download recently.
Ooo, lovely!

Last edited by arete; 13-10-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: html removed [/picky]
Avelardo is offline                         Send a private message to Avelardo
Old 30-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #176

I got the program to work fine but dos box won't maximize on my screen. DUH!!! I'm having a slow moment here.

Old 30-08-2007, 05:48 AM   #177
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
I got the program to work fine but dos box won't maximize on my screen. DUH!!! I'm having a slow moment here.
Press Alt + Enter to switch between window and fullscreen modes

Last edited by arete; 13-10-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: html
Mighty Midget is offline                         Send a private message to Mighty Midget
Old 30-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #178
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Open dosbox.conf, find the line that says fullscreen=false and change it to fullscreen=true .

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #179
12turtle12
Game freak

While someone is mentioning sequels, I just want to say that MOO3 was one of the worst games I've ever played. Thank you for that bad memory being brought up.
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 04-09-2007, 01:14 AM   #180
Jokokulus

Wow, i still love it! in my opinion after civilization the 2nd best round based strategy game ever!

i used to hate humans but now i think at least for "impossible" difficulty they're best (though they're very weak at ground combat)

i think in impossible difficulty the other races get a head start to the player race (or their industry grows much faster), sometimes it seems impossible how fast they build up their empires... often they already have 6 stars when i only have 3 and they're also way ahead in tech + have a fleet ( which i NEVER build in the beginning)... and it stays that way. so i think through the first half of the game you're inevitably one of the less powerful races and you'd better keep your head down.

and in this respect humans are perfect: every race has a "relaxed" attitude towards you on contact, you can immediately sign non-aggression-pacts (which i'd suggest to do with every race!) and improve your relations with trading (+tech exchange if you're lucky enough to have any tech they want).

NEVER break any treaties, your opponents remember that very well and i experienced that whenever i broke ONE treaty all further treaties were easily broken by the other races. so stay loyal to your allies. enemies will be found anyways...

only expand without attacking! keeping a scoutship at good empty planets until your colonyship arrives is useful though, as it will chase away enemy colonyships.

if all colonizeable planets are out of range, research propulsion tech (fuel cells) or, if a barren/tundra planet could give you access to more planets, research planetology. (this -the very beginning- is the ONLY time where it's useful to focus ALL research on one tech branch)

once you got 1-2 fully developed planets start researching(while still trying to colonize more planets). i think it's best to skip some cheaper technologies and research a higher-level tech instead. this will give you some chance to exchange the tech with other races (though in the beginning they're often so far ahead that they don't need any of your techs even if you skip the cheaper ones...)
other races will usually only give you inferior tech in exchange but it pays anyway if you exchange tech with more than one race. sometimes you can give one tech to 2-3 races which gives you 2-3 techs while they just get 1 tech each. (moreover exchanging tech improves relations, which is most important!)

build up a planetary reserve (30-50 bc/turn in the beginning) and transfer resources from the reserve to newly founded colonies to help them develop (also send colonists from fully developed planets of course).

start trading with everyone: humans are expert traders, after some time you should be able to get as much resources out of trading as out of a good planet... but start with small values (i.e.25BC ) as in the beginning the revenue will be negative. then with time passing increase the values, but increase them in BIG STEPS! that way you'll get most out of it... (if you want more detailed info consult the manual )

usually one race gets superior to all others soon... keep this race happy by trading and even money-tribute if necessary, but don't exchange tech with them as your goal must be to catch up with them sooner or later (you can make an exception if they give you key tech's like improved robotic controls!)...
an alliance with them may be dangerous too, as they're most likely to attack another race (they know they're most powerful!) and then they may force you into war too (which will keep your resources away from research... and of course ruin your relations with one race. they won't forget it that you declared war without reason!)... usually i try to forge one alliance with one of the inferior (and if possible peaceful) races and hope that they stay out of war. (i think they give you better techs in exchange if they really like you... one more reason to be friends with everyone)
i think the key to success really is tech: focus research on economy and planet development whenever there's a good tech available( improved industrial tech/soil enrichment/etc.) but without neglecting the other tech branches...(if you completely cease research in one branch you'll completely lose "bonus research points" which you get every round for continued research in that branch...detailed info -> manual)
and try to get these key techs by exchanging. weapon tech is not soo important. don't worry to give good weapons tech! as long as they like you you're not in danger, and on the long run other techs are much more important... and as long as you don't attack you don't need a fleet, missile bases are cheaper and better for defense (so you might still want to get some missile tech to improve your missile bases in case of an attack)

later in the game (often after the first election when they realize you didn't vote for them) weapons get more important, and so do shields.

bombers make good use of cloaking devices so they're protected until they get next to the enemy missile bases.

if you build fast ships they may be able to completely evade enemy missiles.

if the enemy has lots of small ships build ships with good shields!
example:
your ship has a class 10 shield -> will absorb 10 damage from EVERY attack: if a group of 100 small ships shoots at your ship scoring 12 points of damage each, 10 of these 12 points will be absorbed -> every ship only inflicts 2 points of damage (making 200 points of damage only, instead of 1200 without shield)
(against one big ship with death ray the shield will be useless: say the death ray scores 500, 10 points absorbed -> 490 damage)

also use weapons like tachyon beam/energy pulsar/etc. against small ships (missiles are good too):
if you fire a death ray at a group of 1000 ships it only hits 1 ship! so it's useless against large groups of small ships...energy pulsar etc. hit every ship in a group which makes them perfect for large groups. tachyon beam etc. hit one ship; if it's destroyed the damage left is inflicted to the next ship in the group etc... so with a death ray(200-1000 damage) you can only kill one ship with 3 health-points but with a tachyon beam (1-15(?) damage) you can kill up to five of them(if they don't have armor))

couldn't make too much use of these "halves-effectiveness-of-enemy-shields"-weapons yet... :blink:

as soon as you're at war build spies and have them steal tech (though humans are quite bad in espionage), but make sure to have a look at your enemy's "report" screen from time to time, to make sure you know in which tech branches you want to steal... it's also useful to aquire very old techs now (which you don't really need) by tech exchange, because if you don't get these old techs your spies may end up stealing "class II deflector shields" or something as crappy... moreover these old techs add to your "tech level" in a branch which helps in miniaturization ( higher tech level in a branch -> devices from this branch occupy less space in your ship -> you can put more stuff into a ship if your tech level is higher)

well, that's about it... tech and good relations are the key to the game i think (one more reason for being friendly to other species: if you're not you may find the game is suddenly lost after an election at the high council...)

hope this mess helps some of you

only drawbacks of the game are in my opinion: you depend a bit on having a "good" tech tree... and if no race has sub-space-interdictor in the tech tree, you have no possibilty to protect your colonies whatsoever, the enemy may just teleport his ships next to your planet and before you're to send one single rocket flying your planet along with your missile bases is dust... and i think that missile bases/colonies are too weak in the late game anyway, don't stand a chance against a good group of bombers, they'll always destroy the colony in 1 turn...
but anyway, one hell of a game!!! :brain: