Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

First one is my router (ASUS RX3041) keep needs reseting. it happens a few times a day. suddenly my internet connection is gone and then i need to reset the router (unplug the cable and plug it back in in about 10 secs) and it works again. why?
at first i thought Zone alarm done some internet lock but that's not it. so why does that happen? is it ISP fault?

secondly on my new machine i installed Firefox 2. well after i start up or restart computer and if i start firefox the computer crashes (i.e. automaticly reboots, finds errors on disk, repairs them and loads windows).

here is the catch if i use first IE instead of firefox and then load firefox everything is ok. no crashes. but why does it do it? i never seen this before. i mean why would a programme such as browser cause restart of computer. :blink: and at one point it even damaged my profile (i have two firefox profiles). anyone else had this?

both problems have a way arround, but they are annoying and i wan't to solve them. so any help is appreciated
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 29-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

simmilar things happened to me when i had some wrong ports opened (officialy windows default!) and zomebie pcs attacked me
so try analysing your open ports and closing them.

there was one useful tool http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm

and if it didnt help, try running better firewall. but now i have all the doors closed, dont use any firewall and it runs fine
Old 29-06-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Skymutt

As far as your router is concerned, you probably want to look into a firmware update. All the necessary information and software should be available from the ASUS website. If a firmware update doesn't fix the problem then it's most likely a hardware fault.
Skymutt is offline                         Send a private message to Skymutt
Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

HUH?!? I am still unsure what i am supposed to do.

i mean it only happens on one computer while actually two computers are connected on router.

this weekend it happened only one time. i dont' have those ports opened as i opened only one port for torrent and that's not the one.

indeed my zone alarm logs over 2500 attempts to break into the computer. is it possible that the other ocmputer on the net is trying to get in? and if so shouldn't router firewall reject it already?

another hting i noticed it seems that the issue appears when my ocmputer is on and the other computer get's turned on.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

did you try the program i linked you?

also, download this and see if you have other vulnerable ports opened
Old 02-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

i really didn't have much time for programme testing. will do it during weekend when i get back there.

so if i understand that programem closes some ports but at same time torrent download, games and similar can still work normal?!

Becuase as i remember i did open one port for torrent. well i dont' know much about these networks...i will try these porgrammes and see what they can find out. i am still suspecting the other computer...

so i will try these programes to find vulnerable spots and then i will post again if it still does it.

it used to do it at my home ocmputer but somehow it doesn't do it anymore.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jul 2 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]297600[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
so if i understand that programem closes some ports but at same time torrent download, games and similar can still work normal?!
[/b]
yes, it only closes wormdoors ports
Old 06-07-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

turns out first 3 ports were on. so i switched off the first two on that firewall leak tweaker. i didn't turn off the netbios port.

that is because it said if i disable it then others won't be able to access my shared files (so it has to be on for local LAN access) - or at least so the programme said.

oh and on the first one i left the option for automatic updates, because i want it automatic. i am not the only user on that computer...

last two were closed already?

did i do something wrong? could i do things better?

anyway let's see what ahppens now. I plan to do the same on the other computer later which is running original Sophos antivirus version, but XP SP2 only it's a copy so no updates are possible anymore... :-/

i am worried that that computer might try to do something to mine. especially because zone alarm is showing over 3000 attempts of breaking in. ugh the whole ISP service is strange if you ask me. they need some certificate verification when you use their mail sevrer. WTF?!?!? so i just use GMAIL instead...

edit: i just checke dthe attempts that Zone alarm blocked since install : 42879 attempts . yah over 42 thousand. someone is eagar to get in. but i dont' have anything interesting here so.... stupid.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

do you realy want netbios? there are many other ways how to share files over lan than 'shared folders'. i personaly find them lil bit gay and slow. you can dl some free ftp server maker, and make one with full acces for the other pc and it will be at maxed speed, everything controlled by you.

or maybe you can just disable netbios for specific network adapter somewhere in network connections? (im not sure about it) so it would be stopped for lan but for your dial up or whatever only

well, and if you want to use netbios and its not disable-able for internet connection, i would block it with the firewal and open when i realy need it

btw those attempts are just zombie pcs, so if your pc got infected as well, you would 'attempt to hack' other computers too

EDIT: also try the second link i gave you and see if you have other ports opened
Old 09-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

well the other computer is used by my grandfather, so shared folders are easy to explain, while FTP is a bit more difficult. He uses explorer a lot cause he got used to it. so...

it does seem that closing the ports helped. but this weekend i could really test it since the other computer was off most of the time.

i plan to update the firewall and do some virus scan. i also think that ISP provider is not doing his best to protect us. the other one i have in my hometown is much better. but it's not available at my summer/weekend residence.