Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Community News & Feedback > Old Suggestions
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

Nice!

*gitz bright idea*

Make an executable tag w/ links towards a feedback section on the site... or something.
Eg. Site poll thingey.

Oh and great ideas are usually born on toilets and other places you wouldn't look for them. I'll just go there now.
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
chainsoar
Master Debater

I think it's a great idea, but I do agree with fifth that a readme text file would probably be enough. Although it would be kind of nice to have a colourful little .exe included, there's not much point, really. The only times I can think of downloaded files/programs including flashy executables like that is when hacker crews stick them in to show off their programming skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
Kosta
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I like the idea, however, the scary things is - do you have any idea how long it will take to repack all the archives? :blink: Also I like the second option. We can put the original logo though to make it more authentic

Kosta is offline                         Send a private message to Kosta
Old 10-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #14
Hadiel
Abandonia nerd

Ok. let's forget about the ever-so-slow repacking and text files for a sec. If... and i say if... we decide to add a logo, how on earth would it look like?

I know i've got some spunky ideas, but i currently lack a decent drawing program.

Theme's could include:

- Futuristic (lots of mechanica and such)
- Old Skool (think pacman, space invaders)
- Industrial (lot's of power gear, machinery.)
- Spacey (self explaining)
- Nature (think wild growth)

And also an option is to wait for results on the Abandonia landmark contest (see below)

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=249552

Hope it helped.
Hadiel is offline                         Send a private message to Hadiel
Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
but i currently lack a decent drawing program.[/b]
Get GIMP. It's free and powerful.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Taskmaster
Super Freak

I do have a snap of the forum logo (ie. the horizontal one versus the angled one) which I can toss in to the second option just to see. I mess with that today and see how it looks.

As for updating all the zips try something like this....

1) Run this DOS command from the root of the zip file folders. DIR /ogn /b /s *.zip > ZIPS.BAT

2) Use an editor with a search and replace ability to insert a PKZIP command at the front of each line and the path to the EXE (or text file if you'd rather) to the end of eah line. Something like this (the PKZIP flags can be adjusted accordingly):

path:\PKZIP -a -es (zip path already in file) (path to the EXE or TXT file)

3) It has been a long while since I've messed with BAT files, but you could go one step further and insert a IF ERRORLEVEL 1 ECHO (zip name failed) to show any issues.

I would say that if you test a single line or two from the BAT file and it works, then you can ignore the last bit.

Run the batch file and let it update the ZIPs for you.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Taskmaster
Super Freak

Sorry for the double post, but it is a few hours later....

Here is what I have done using the forum logo. Comments, suggestion, etc are welcomed...

(Shown at 60% of actual)

The EXE is 180KB at present compressing to 73KB.

EDIT: It is not so bright when run on a desktop. The color is not a "web safe" color. It is not so glaring when run. The color can be change, of course.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Why not make the text's background the same beige that surrounds the "OK" button?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

100's? aren't we in thousands already?!

you went with red background to get it more visible (striking), right? well i think it's unnecessary. I would go with what horsman said. same background.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #20
Taskmaster
Super Freak

I was trying to keep the red logo from standing out so much against the grey (default dialog color) background. It is not beige even though it may appear that way in the image. If I do not use a colored background it looked (to me) to be too much grey. I will try other colors and such.

I'm also attempting to show other option each time so that folks can get a sense of what can be done, not just what I did in a specific case. I want this to be an "everybody's idea included" not just mine.

The text is an EXAMPLE! I would expect Kosta to APPROVE the actual text. I have written a control that can draw text just like an internet browser (ie. handle italics, bold, underline, color, tabbing, indention, bulleted lists, etc. so I could also use that if the desired text called for that type of control. It would increase the EXE size a bit (probably).

Plus, yes it is closer to 1000 now, but I can't say "1000's", but I could say "over 1000 classic....."

Again, thanks for all the feedback.