Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
rynncc
Lurker

Default futurustic combat racing game, can't remember name!

Hey folks, I need some help trying to recall a game I vaguely remember from my childhood.

It was a combat racing game with closed courses, not free-roaming like carmageddon. It was futuristic, with hovering ships that would race through closed-course terrain that was usually cavernous or valley-ish. The graphics are close to descent in comparison. It had around 8 or 10 different ships to choose from, ranging from heavily armed, slow ships to fast racers. I remember having a blast playing it and I think it may have just been a demo, I can't remember I played it on a friend's PC back in the day...

Some details I can pick out that may help in identifying it are:

It was 3d but not really good 3d, kinda like descent but it was still really smooth and had great visuals.

It took a while to chew up your opponents with the weapons, and killing them was really satisfying. I can't remember the weapons very well though, whether or not each ship had unique guns or if you custom-fit your ship or picked up weapons on the field I am not sure, but I do remember having numbered values for ammunition, and picking up more ammunition on the course.
Your shields had numbered values as well, I think...

I remember that the CPU players would have a quirky name, like "manny" or "killjoy" and usually served up a good challenge. You could see their names above their heads I think, when they were close to you - and also on the HUD in place order (with current health too?) I think each name had a different color too.

Races were lapped, and usually kinda long, and there were a fair amount of combatants in each one, at least 8-12.

Similar games would be wipeout (but a little slower) and POD (but older I think.)

I can't remember the name at all... quantum something maybe?

Hope this sparks someone's memory, I really liked this game and hope to track it down! Maybe it's abandonware?

My first post BTW! I'll do my best to try and help out other "unknown game threads" in the meantime. This aspect of the forums really appealed to me the most, it's great to remember those old games and add them to the abandonware archive!

This is a really great site! Thanks to everyone who makes it happen here, thanks to you I've been jammin out on some great games I used to play or always wanted to play the full-version of because I was playing the demo from a PC gamer CD!

So far I've been playing blood, amulets and armor and settlers 2! About to take a crack at twinsen's odyssey

Have fun!

*edit* I think it may have been "hi-octane." Just read a similar thread posted by bastiaaan looking for a 3d racing game with hovering cars. Someone suggested hi octane and that name kinda jumped out in my mind. The description on it at cdaccess.com is for carmageddon though... plus they don't have any screens

Last edited by rynncc; 02-09-2009 at 03:43 PM.
rynncc is offline                         Send a private message to rynncc
Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Mobygames has screens for Hi-Octane: http://www.mobygames.com/game/hi-octane/screenshots

It might also have been WipeOut: http://www.mobygames.com/game/wipeout/screenshots

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
esgmaster
Super Freak

It's probablely the Sequel to Wipeout, Wipeout 2097 (XL).
esgmaster is offline                         Send a private message to esgmaster
Old 06-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Oskatat
Game freak

to me it does sound like hi-octane.

guns and missiles, missiles upgradable to be tracking, boosts and upgrades on the track, in, if i remember, green, yellow purple and red. limited ammo for missiles but not guns, but overheating. turboboost

one craft like a flying saucer with a cockpit on one end, one like a truck (the slowest and most heavily armed/armored ones, great for practicing).

the track was indeed a canyon. If i recall correctly, it wasnt possible to go against the driving direction. There were pit-stop straits to refill fuel, ammo and shields.

It was often more fun to kill anyone faster than you than to move fast yourself
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat