Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Your Reviews
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-03-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Abandonia's Replaced Stub Reviews

Following _r.u.s.s.' suggestion I've started a thread in which everyone could post the stub reviews before replacing them with the adequate ones.

A stub review is a small text containing one or maximum two ideas, in which the writer posts his impressions about the game, often lead by pure emotional motives. In short - it has less than 10 lines (or around 10 lines) and doesn't contain enough of the needed information on the game.

The List:
1. Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow & the Flame, by Kosta
2. Mortal Kombat, by Kosta
3. King's Quest 1 - Quest For the Crown, by Tom Henrik
4. Wolfenstein 3D, by Kosta
5. Desert Strike - Return To The Gulf, by Kosta
6. Flashback (DOS), by Kosta
7. Centurion - Defender of Rome, by Kosta
8. Last Ninja Pack, by marko river
9. Bouncing Babies, by Tom Henrik
10. Pole Position, by bob-satan
11. Prince of Persia, by Kosta
12. Beneath A Steel Sky, by Borislav Dobudja
13. Flight of the Amazon Queen, by Sebatianos
14. Wacky Wheels, by Kosta
15. Gobliiins, by Kosta
16. Goblins 3, by Kosta
17. Space Invaders, by chickenman
18. Terminal Velocity, by Kosta
19. Pinball Dreams, by Kosta
20. Prehistorik, by Kosta

Last edited by TotalAnarchy; 22-01-2010 at 11:32 AM.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 31-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Default Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow & the Flame, by Kosta

I love this game! In general, one of the thigs I like the most about a game is the story it contains (if one contains any). And, just like it's predecessor, Prince of Persia 2 has a story that you've got to love. And it's well told: this game contains several minutes of illustrated and narrated "storyboard" to pull you in (which is rarely seen in other games from this computer era). In fact, I find it admirable how they've put so many images, sounds and colors in a "less than 5 MB package". Unfortunately, besides huge visual and auditive improvements, Prince's gameplay hasn't changed a bit, and thus many hardcore fans of "Prince 1" were a bit disappointed by it. I wasn't - play it.

by Kosta

The game: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/51...the+Flame.html

Last edited by TotalAnarchy; 31-03-2009 at 07:07 PM.
TotalAnarchy is offline                         Send a private message to TotalAnarchy
Old 31-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat surely is one of the best one-on-one fighting games ever created. Perhaps the most interesting feature of Mortal Kombat is the presence of a real player action performed by actual "living" actors. It made Mortal Kombat look so much better than any other games' graphics at the time, although still in 320x200 pixels and only 256 colors ("13h" means anything to anyone? ). I was amazed by it the first time I saw it, today as I play it again after a long time; I realize it's not THAT good looking (especially seeing the edges of the objects on screen), but I also believe it really couldn't have been done better. Two players are supported, and playing a single player game is not any less exciting. There are 7 fighters to choose from, and 2 additional "bosses" to defeat playing a single player game, so get ready to beat the crab out of them!

by Kosta
Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

King's Quest 1 - Quest For The Crown

Some of you gamers out there might look at the release date and think “Nah, King’s Quest was made in 1983 and NOT the year after!” … True, but by IBM and not by Sierra, who took over in 1984 and released the version available for download here. And thus began the greatest adventure saga of all time. Police Quest, Space Quest, and even Leisure Suit Larry are all children of this very first game.

King’s Quest: Quest for The Crown takes place in the land of Daventry, where you (Sir Graham) are called before the good King Edward. You are sent on a daring adventure to claim three magical artefacts and give them to King Edward, to prove yourself worthy to become the next king. Along the way you must complete myriad side-quests in order to progress through the game. The story might seem simple enough, but do not be fooled. King’s Quest is a very difficult game to play, but as soon as you pick up the basics you are on your way to completing the grandfather of many adventure games.

No one could guess the impact this little game would have on the gaming population of the world, but soon it was evident that a sequel had to be made … and so the epic tales of Sir Graham of Daventry had begun!

by Tom Henrik
Old 24-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Wolfenstein 3D

If you were to make a list of truly legendary games, Wolfenstein 3D would surely have to be in it! It is the father of all present-day FPS games. You are in control of an American agent trapped inside a Nazi prison. Your task is simple - shoot the guards, get keys and find your way to the elevator. As you progress through the levels you will acquire some new weapons and encounter new enemies.

Not spectacular, but it keeps the game remotely interesting. The scenery is pretty authentic: pictures of Hitler, swastikas and German WW2 symbols will follow you throughout the game. As for the graphics, considering that this was probably one of the first 3D engines with textured surfaces, I'd say they are almost revolutionary for the time. The game is not truly 3D, but it gives you an impression that you are moving in real space. Bear in mind that this game runs smoothly on a 386. The sounds are also great: Background music creates a wonderful mood, and the Nazi guards' shouts will certainly startle you from time to time. Strafing wildly around a room and knocking down guards with a Schmeisser will probably provide you with some fun.

By Kosta
Old 24-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Desert Strike - Return To the Gulf

Desert Strike is a very simple and fun helicopter game. This is a true relief, as I remember most of the old chopper games made me dizzy or just confused. This one, on the other hand, takes a different approach and places entertainment ahead of realism. You are a chopper pilot and have to carry out various missions in the Gulf. They will vary from seek-and-destroy to rescue and delivery operations. There will be some power-ups on the way as well. The controls are as simple as they come: arrow keys for moving around, and three keys for shooting your weapons. You are equipped with a standard machine gun, and two types of missiles - one light and unguided, and the other guided and heavy. You will also be able to buy new (and better) co-pilots as the game progresses. This is a very solid piece of software that I remember playing for countless sleepless nights smile.gif You might end up doing the same, you never know. Try it out!

By Kosta
Old 24-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Flashback (DOS)

"Flashback" definitely is to be put in the "Ahead of it's time" section. It "feels" a lot like Prince of Persia or Black Thorne, however one thing makes it different: the animation. I always had special feelings for well animated games :-). And there are tons of animations here. Low resolution, of course, but sometimes suprisingly smooth. The levels look pretty good also (not excelent though), especially "The Jungle" (screenshot 1). When I first saw this game at my old frend's brand new PC (it was a 386 I think) I was so jelaous knowing there was no way this game would run on my computer equipped with EGA graphics. Well... enough frustrating memories for now. There are only 7 levels but several animations between them to support the storyline. Gameplay is nothing spectacular, but navigation is easy to get used to. Some will appreciate the way our characters moves: smooth - smoother than Prince for example. The bad thing is: you always carry the same pistol - no interesting weapons around. All in all - this is an average game in it's "brand", but I must say: Highly recommended. At least try it and watch the intro!

By Kosta
Old 25-06-2009, 06:02 AM   #8
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Centurion - Defender of Rome

This game puts you in shoes of a Roman emperor. Your task is to conquer the world of course! The game is immensely addictive, and don't be surprised if you end up playing it for hours and hours from the minute you unpack the archive and run the executable! It's only drawback is it's length. With some luck, and basic knowledge of the game, you will be able to finish it in a matter of hours on the beginner level. However, if you choose to play on a more challenging level, you will find yourself dissapointed as nothing changes, except for the numerosity and size of enemy armies. Nonetheless, it features excellent VGA graphics, interesting diplomatic dialogue between nations, real-time field combat, strategic map of the world etc. Download it and see for yourself, you will most certainly not regret it! It's a classic!

By Kosta
Old 10-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Luchsen
Lurking Forever

Not stub but replaced because it was splitted:
Last Ninja Pack

This is one of the best games ever made for the Commodore 64. It was quite revolutionary in 1987 and is a legend today. Followed by two sequels and a remix, The Last Ninja was the first in the series. If you've never heard of it, now you know a little more. For everybody else, well, come on - it's The Last Ninja; is there really anything more I could say?

I guess I could, since there will be youngsters that have never heard of this game. Besides lovely graphics and great music, this game had many innovations. It was one of the first isometric games ever made (maybe even the first, I'm not sure). You had eight directions to move, plus you could jump and perform various moves and attacks with your arms and legs or with several ninja weapons. You could even block. Maybe the existence of your character's inventory wasn't that revolutionary, but I never saw a game before this one in which you could really "pick up" items. In every platform game, you just moved across an item in order to pick it up. But this was different.

The story is as follows: You are Armakuni, a member of Ninjutsu, left to guard their shrine while the other members go to the island of Lin Fen. Every ten years, they go there to receive instruction from the Koga Scrolls. However, the evil Shogun Kunitoki has called creatures from the Nether World and destroyed your comrades, so he can bring his own guards and learn the power of Ninjutsu. When he was a child, Armakuni went to the island by using a secret passage. Now he must do it again, but it is not as it used to be. So he (with your help) must travel alone through the unknown, avenge his brothers, and retrieve the Scrolls. (I shortened the story very much.)

The PC version came out a year after the C64 version. Everything looked like it did on the C64. Well, almost everything. The game was a little rough. This is very bad, since you'll have lot of trouble picking up some objects (your ninja must reach out his hands exactly on the object) and jumping over water, lava, or mud. Jumping is the worst; you'll have to step perfectly on the stone to jump to another one. Your ninja moved smoothly on the C64 (with a joystick), but here you use Numpad, and the ninja keeps on moving until you press another direction key or 5 to stop. Jumping over rocks is simply too hard. You'll even find it difficult to turn your character in another direction.

If you manage to handle the controls and you don't turn away from hard games, you'll like this one. Even now I run a C64 emulator to play it again. I can never forget the first level, when you go down and actually pick up a katana from some rocks. Although the game looks good, you'll have some problems playing the PC version, and that's a real shame. Also, the PC speaker's limitations left the game without the great musical themes by Ben Daglish.

The second game is more colorful, with some logic puzzles and (almost) without levels that drive you mad. It's not legendary like the first game, but is still very fun to play. Armakuni finds himself in 20th-century New York without a clue as to how he got there. Feeling that his old enemy Kunitoki has something to do with it, Armakuni isn't planning to take it easy. But Armakuni must be careful; a different time brings different problems.

The programmers tried very hard (and mostly successfully) to make every level interesting to play. Some of the logic puzzles require the use of items (the easiest example would be using a key), but most require nothing more than pressing buttons, turning your ninja in exactly the right way to climb a ladder, and so on. The PC version of the second game has smooth animation and better gameplay, so now you can easily play with the cursor keys, jump precisely, and pick up objects without having a headache. So, it turns out that the second part is much, much better on the PC. Don't think that it is easy, but you will have less trouble as you become better and more familiar with the levels.

In front of you is a cult game (and its sequel) that probably won't be forgotten. There is a third part for the C64, but it wasn't made for the PC, since the PC versions of the first two parts were never very successful. It's too bad the PC had so many limitations at that time. Both games look (and sound) much better on the C64, so you probably won't experience all the fun these games could provide. Still, I give the games the highest mark, and all those who have really played them will agree. For the rest of you, my advice is to try it. If you don't like it, at least you'll know that you played another old legend.

by marko river
Old 30-07-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Bouncing Babies

Bouncing Babies is a game in which you control two firefighters and try to save babies from a burning building and get them into your ambulance. You move them by pressing the number keys 1, 2 and 3 (left, middle and right).

Sound easy? Well, it ain't! If you are able to get past Level 3 without extensive training, you are either bloomin' lucky or a cheater.

by Tom Henrik