Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-06-2005, 01:31 PM   #11
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

I recommend the Discworld books(Suprise!) or the Lords of the Rings.
For some good classic reading,i recommed Bram Stokers Dracula(Very good classic,with the real "non-action" Van Helsing in it).
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 27-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

That mentioning of Drakula reminded me where I got it from (for free).

Check out this free eBook downloads.
I know - a book is something you hold in the hand and take out of the room with you, but these are really worth looking into (maybe not for the light summer read, but deffinetly worth reading).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 27-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #13
DakaSha
Forum hobbit

"Incarnations of Immortality" Series by Piers Anthony

At least the first book "On A Pale Horse"
I'd explain what they are about but im 2 lazy.... just google for the name of the first book. believe me they are really cool... if you like the fantasy stuff
DakaSha is offline                         Send a private message to DakaSha
Old 27-06-2005, 02:15 PM   #14
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

First of all: whats with all the "Terry" books?

Terry Pratchett
Terry Brooks
Terry Goodkind

(I have books by all those authors, but it IS weird)

A book BESIDES The Good Earth? (While, it really is a dang good book but if you want....)

Ice Hunt, By James Rollins. Other very good books by him: Amazonia, Subterranean, Excavation, Deep Fathom (havent read this one yet)

All very very very good modern sci-fi books. You get sucked in really fast. k:

If you can't find him, find Michael Crichton: Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Sphere, Congo, The Terminal Man, Airframe, Prey, can't think of any more....

Similar to James Rollins, very good scifi.
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 27-06-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
plague
Abandonia nerd

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (in five books) by Douglas Adams.
plague is offline                         Send a private message to plague
Old 27-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #16
Indignus IV
Game Wizzard

Talking

Aye, Hitchhikers guide is very good, too. k:
Indignus IV is offline                         Send a private message to Indignus IV
Old 27-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #17
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well i haven't read all of the later replies since I went to buy the book, but come on... what kind of literary recluse do you take me for? i've already read all the discworld books, the tolkien books (didn't really like the story but I enjoyed the structure) and I just finished reading the last book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (pity really, i bought all those ugly little books, and now they suddenly launch a new book which contains all the books in the series and has a nifty cover, damn!)

And to Sebatianos, I already read all the books you suggested, except for 'The Good Soldier Švejk' and the ones you didn't know if they were translated, but thanks anyway, they are great books.

I couldn't find the Terry Brooks book (well i found them, but not the first in the series) so i just went with "A Game of Thrones" (thanks Flop, hope the book doesn't turn out to be a flop) which looks interesting and reads smoothly which is just the thing I want in beach literature, not that I am adverse to deep books which requires some reflection and pondering, but it's not the thing I want when lying on the beach.

I think it was Pratchett who spoke of this in one of his books including Rincewind (I think it was in The Last Continent): during the vacation everybody will try to read something profound and important, but no matter what you take with you, that book will change (because of quantum) into a book with a catchy and cool name and cover.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to check out Terry Brooks again.
Old 27-06-2005, 05:10 PM   #18
Flop
Hero Gamer

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. k:

I also hope that you don't get a complete breakdown, in two weels time when you've read the three first books, and realise that the series isn't finished.

If that happens, just remember that he just finished the fourth and that it'll be published in october or november.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 27-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Ah, this is the chance I've been waiting for, it has been a long time since i've been able to wait for a book in anticipation. Sure, it's fun when pratchett's new book is in the stores, but since his stories aren't ever really continuous it's not the same as waiting and thinking "I wonder what will happen next?"
Old 27-06-2005, 05:22 PM   #20
Flop
Hero Gamer

Maybe so, but Martin writes very slowly (quality over quantity and all that). It took him five years to write the last book, and the only reason it didn't take him longer is because it was split in two (i.e. it wasn't really done, but the final work would have been way too big one book). But with any hope the fifth one won't take too long to write, since he's already written at least some of it (about 40% according to himself).

Anyway, although it goes down fast you may still want to put it down once in a while and ponder what happens next. I know I did, anyway, but also to just check the "family trees" in the back of the book, since there are so many people to keep track off.
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop