Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 31-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #71
humorguy
Super Freak

STFM - You have to look into the public performance laws and the 'multiple license' side of any entertainment machine. It's never that simple.
humorguy is offline                         Send a private message to humorguy
Old 31-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #72
chainsoar
Master Debater

Damn, I know Abandonia is all about old games, but not ALL new games suck. Sure, there were some real beauties that came out back in the day, but there are plenty of new games that are totally worth playing. *cough* HALF LIFE 2 *cough*. C'mon, guys, don't deny it - there are a lot of new games that are really, really good. Recently I went out and bought a bunch of Xbox games that I've wanted for ages but haven't been able to afford, and they were all great. Halo 2, Doom 3 (a great sequel that, as a long time Doom fan, I think does not disappoint), Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six:Lockdown, to name a few. I will admit, however, that the standard of games these days is not what it used to be. Someone said in a post way up before me somewhere that most of their favourite games were made before their time. I would say that this is also the case with me. Some of the games that hold a special place in my heart - Commander Keen 4,5 & 6, Dune 2, Ultima 8, Gender Wars & the early Command & Conquer games, were nearly all made while I was still too young to appreciate them the way I do now.

However, this still doesn't mean all new games are a load of dump.

p.s - 50 Cent : Bulletproof IS a load of dump. What a waste of money. I should've bought Soldier Of Fortune 2 instead. *sigh* I hate 50 Cent, I wish I hadn't listened to my sister.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 01-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #73
Icewolf
Il Lupone

Send a message via ICQ to Icewolf

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Jan 31 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]277304[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Damn, I know Abandonia is all about old games, but not ALL new games suck.[/b]
I think we've been pointing that out already.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:11 AM   #74
STFM
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Feb 1 2007, 01:41 AM) [snapback]277304[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
HALF LIFE 2 ... Halo 2, Doom 3 ... Ghost Recon:Advanced Warfighter and Rainbow Six:Lockdown...Soldier Of Fortune 2 instead.
[/b]
Anything other than FPS games?
STFM is offline                         Send a private message to STFM
Old 02-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #75
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Most surely. One of the best is an RPG by the name Gothic + Gothic 2, these both games are great. Besides, part 3 came not long ago out, but my PC is too weak for it so no way right now :P
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #76
humorguy
Super Freak

Scatty, if you like RPGs, make my statement above just 50 terto games that will last 4 years before you need anything new! LOL!

And yes, I like RPG's and Morrowind meant I only bought one other PC game that year! So great RPG's, retro or otherwise, can save you money!

With more and more sub 15 hour gameplay shooters and arcade/adventures, I don't think future retro gamers will be able to say the same!
Old 04-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #77
silz
Abandonia nerd

Seriously dude, you are not alone. I feel a little bored as it looks like the current new games just doesn't seem right. I will be lying if I said I enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2. Oblivion? damn I don't even want to talk about it. The last games that I enjoyed the most is Baldur's Gate II and that was like 6 years ago. All this years I can't really say that I enjoyed playing a game as I used to and I'm 27. I started playing Ultima IV when I was in grade school and that was the game that gets me totally hooked into RPG. At the same year, I was also introduced to pen and paper AD&D. D&D and Ultima is like my lifeline to RPG even when the gold box AD&D games were purely hack and slash.

Not interested in new games or such doesn't make me feel old. I mean, as long as it has a good gameplay, it will remain a classic even when our generation fades out and Ultima is not as accessible anymore thanks to the internet. You know what really makes me feel old? Its the disappearance of gamebooks (a little OT here, sorry). I basically grew up with that.

The only games that are getting better and better these days are the FPS games. Just have a look at DOOM 3, Half-life 2, and the future game Crysis with the DX10.
silz is offline                         Send a private message to silz
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #78
HomerDOHSimpson

Since ther're many old games i ever wanted to play i'm too busy to buy new ones... i'm waiting if there old and cheap to... buyed Doom for 10 bucks and if Half-Life 2 with the further episodes is available then i will propably buy it.
HomerDOHSimpson is offline                         Send a private message to HomerDOHSimpson
Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #79
humorguy
Super Freak

I am downloading lots of retro abandoned games, downloading text or pdf manuals for them, and a walkthru or FAQ if I can find them, then putting them all on CD's (about 25 per disk) or DVD's (about 250 per disk!). I am playing retro games all the time as well, of course, but I am worried that one day, because PC gaming is becoming close to dying that publishers may take their revenge on the vastly expanded abandonware/retro market and take everything off line, hoping we then are forced to buy their crappy modern games and save PC gaming. So I am downloading all the ones I want now, just in case! I also buy the ones I really want on ebay, etc, as one day, if all abandonware sites are closed, the cost of these games will go through the roof!

Nothing like being prepared! And the reason I think the above may happen is I am finding myself playing my retro games more and more, and just losing interest in modern PC gaming. With having to buy Vista and a DX10 card in the next 12 months at a cost of $500+ it will need some pretty special PC games for me to spend that sort of money upgrading - and I just can't see it happening!!! There may be two titles this year and another two titles next year and maybe in three years when there is around six-eight games I really want and the upgrade is only $200 (and those games are on $10 budget labels!) then i might do it!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #80
silz
Abandonia nerd

The only new game that I'm interested in buying right now for the PC is Jade Empire SE from Bioware. That company makes superb RPG titles. I will definitely buy it when its hot having waited for 2 years since the xbox version was released. I enjoyed KoToR I immensely. To be honest, there are the only developers where I bought the game and keep it with the box in a nice drawer. Temple of Elemental evil is the other game that I keep too. For the others, I will be glad to eBay it as soon as its completed.

As for Oblivion, that definitely made the history books. Not only is it boring, the game doesn't scales with experience. Which is kind of sad considering I had high expectations from it, no thanks to Morrowind. I even upgraded my video card to a 7900GT solely for playing it. Right now, I'm happily playing Betrayal of Krondor and Ultima VI, which is pretty overkill for the card that I have. LOL
silz is offline                         Send a private message to silz
Closed Thread