Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Castles2Confused

I've been attempting to install Castles2 through dosbox with Norton Commander installed. I've followed the instructions on "A Beginner's Guide to DOSBox" and the Intro to DOSBox, but while I can get the installer to run, it always asks me where I would like to install my game from, the A: drive or the B: drive. I don't have either, and while I know where all the files are, it doesn't give me any other options. What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

:wallbash:

Thanks for the help!

Old 28-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
dosraider
Dismembered.

QUOTE(Castles2Confused @ Oct 28 2007, 09:48 PM) [snapback]317620[/snapback]
Quote:
What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?[/b]
Everything, and nothing, and you can't fix it.

Meaning:
The game is pre-installed.
So: you don't run install.
So: Nothing to fix.
Simply input castles2.
Capiche?

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider
Old 28-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Installing thru DOSBox is exactly what you'd have done back in the DOS days. When the game ask you for A or B drive, it's asking you for a floppy drive (CD Roms were not even created yet back then).

Just setup the installation files you downloaded as drive A: and go through with the installation.

If you downloaded the game from this site, most of the games are already ready to run.
Old 29-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Castles2Confused

QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Oct 28 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]317627[/snapback]
Quote:
Installing thru DOSBox is exactly what you'd have done back in the DOS days. When the game ask you for A or B drive, it's asking you for a floppy drive (CD Roms were not even created yet back then).

Just setup the installation files you downloaded as drive A: and go through with the installation.

If you downloaded the game from this site, most of the games are already ready to run.
[/b]
Ok, I tried "mounting" the game files I downloaded as drive A, but it doesn't seem to work.

I also tried typing castles2 in, and as I expected, it doesn't work. It's been about 15 years since I used DOS, and I don't remember the commands I used to know, so I don't know how to start up the game, if all I need to do is type something in!

I'm sorry, but can someone give me some help and explain things very simply and very thoroughly, step by step? I loved this game as a kid, and I'd really like to play it again, but I'm missing an important step.

Old 29-10-2007, 03:47 AM   #5

And now I feel extremely stupid. It works, if I just click "Castles2" in the downloaded game files. DUH. Sorry, and thanks for the help. If there is a way to get this to work through DOSBox, I'd love to know about it so I can hear the music, but if not, I've got it working.

Old 29-10-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You can always try VDMSound with the game if you can run it directly thru Windows. What VDMSound does is emulate the SoundBlaster card for a particular game. This doesn't hurt your machine performance as a true emulation like DOSBox does, so it's bound to give you some problems with very old games being too fast and such. Otherwise, a good option.
Old 29-10-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
dosraider
Dismembered.

QUOTE(Castles2Confused @ Oct 29 2007, 05:44 AM) [snapback]317641[/snapback]
Quote:
I'm sorry, but can someone give me some help and explain things very simply and very thoroughly, step by step? I loved this game as a kid, and I'd really like to play it again, but I'm missing an important step.
[/b]
You said you followed the guide, so I will assume your c:\oldgames is mounted as C when you run dosbox......

This is the simpliest and most basic way to get it running:
Extract all files in c:\oldgames\castles2\
Check if your files don't end up in c:\oldgames\castles2\castles_2\ !!!
Run dosbox and input:

cd castles2
castles2

Not a member of The Victorious People's Shoutbox Liberation Army.
Not a member of the GAG Guerrilla. Don't get A Grip!
FOR RENT
*Advertising space*
dosraider is offline                         Send a private message to dosraider