Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

i got another question, even though everything is still beta, im interested in making my own adventure, i went through your files for the game (like 1.par) and i realized that the par files only had the scene descriptions and not the actions available, did you just make a single file that sees what scene is open and lists all available actions so you could have all scene actions in one place rather then have to go threw every par file to find actions available? Also, how did you actually make the game definitions (eg the core file with the opening for telling what your name is, telling your stats, etc etc, cause i could prolly just build off of that to make a game.

And now getting more complex, would it be possible to to intergrate and ASCII map into a game and add directional controls (n,e,s,w) and conditional events? that way one can actually choose there own adventure!

and ifnally, add a status bar of current health, inventory, etc etc

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 30-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #12
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

im trying to figure out exactly how this works im using Notepad++ right now. In 1.lnk you have 9 lines...

ALWAYS
Open the gate
ALWAYS
Climb over the gate
ALWAYS
Walk along the wall looking for another way in

What do the numbers and ALWAYS correspond too? I assume ALWAYS is so the engine checks the module for this option everytime?

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 30-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Bejelith
Forum hobbit

Send a message via Yahoo to Bejelith

Tried it out too, I love the idea so far.
I saw a bit through the code and if I got this right, the "Grue" message is not a bug, just an absence of said paragraph file. No big problem then (Correct me if I'm wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubb View Post
And now getting more complex, would it be possible to to intergrate and ASCII map into a game
I'd love to see that too. Doesn't sound difficult at first, but it sure would get more complex ahead.
One could index each paragraph to a separate map file, forming a random overmap with the rest of the paragraphs.
OR
Place each event to trigger on certain areas of a single overmap.
Just a little thought here Fifth, though I must confess that I'm not much used to C++.
Bejelith is offline                         Send a private message to Bejelith
Old 31-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Yeah - Fifth's said the Grue thing is an error message :3

tired of being eaten by grues... ruins my hair.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 31-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #15
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
i got another question, even though everything is still beta, im interested in making my own adventure, i went through your files for the game (like 1.par) and i realized that the par files only had the scene descriptions and not the actions available, did you just make a single file that sees what scene is open and lists all available actions so you could have all scene actions in one place rather then have to go threw every par file to find actions available?
Each paragraph has a .LNK file with the available actions. That way I can run the link parser on them without writing in extra code and markup for recognizing what's the paragraph and what's the links.
Quote:
Also, how did you actually make the game definitions (eg the core file with the opening for telling what your name is, telling your stats, etc etc, cause i could prolly just build off of that to make a game.
The code handling player statistics and initialization is in dragonengine_player.h
If you're asking how to set these values for your module, the player.dat file is used for that.
My comments are after // - but don't belong in the actual file.
Code:
20 2 // Base Vigour (HP) + how many D6 rolls to add
3 1 // Base Agility + how many D6 rolls to add
3 1 // Base PSI + how many D6 rolls to add
10 // Starting Gold
Sword // Starting items (however many you like, each must be on a single line)
Leather Armour
Backpack
Quote:
And now getting more complex, would it be possible to to intergrate and ASCII map into a game and add directional controls (n,e,s,w) and conditional events? that way one can actually choose there own adventure!
Quote:
I'd love to see that too. Doesn't sound difficult at first, but it sure would get more complex ahead.
One could index each paragraph to a separate map file, forming a random overmap with the rest of the paragraphs.
OR
Place each event to trigger on certain areas of a single overmap.
It's is a possibility for a future branch of the engine.
As far as conditional events go, that is one of the things I intend to add into DE before releasing the final version, along with other tweaks (like the descriptions for each event and changing how the link system works).
Quote:
and ifnally, add a status bar of current health, inventory, etc etc
It's already there, on top of the screen. player_brief() in dragonengine_player.h
Quote:
What do the numbers and ALWAYS correspond too? I assume ALWAYS is so the engine checks the module for this option everytime?
As I explained in the original post, each option either has "ALWAYS" or a condition its' availability depends on
The numbers are the name (sans extension) of the paragraph file the engine loads when the player selects the option (again, no spaces).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejelith View Post
Tried it out too, I love the idea so far.
I saw a bit through the code and if I got this right, the "Grue" message is not a bug, just an absence of said paragraph file. No big problem then (Correct me if I'm wrong).
That is correct. No event, no paragraph, no link = Grue.
A paragraph can exist just with LNK, for victories and deaths just with EVT or just with PAR (a paragraph with no LNK sends you to paragraph "0" - which is a "game over" code for the engine)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #16
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Two questions.
1. Is "0" acceptable as the "breaker" (ie the "paragraph" which stops the engine's gameplay loop), or would you prefer a different one for that? Any text string is acceptable here, including ones which would be illegal in file names.
2. Do you want to be able to specify the starting paragraph in one of the configuration files?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 01-09-2010 at 03:32 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The breaker now defaults to "!". It can be changed for each module, however. (a temporary measure to allow me to continue working on the engine without having to fix large parts of the current module to work with it; I can leave that override in the final version or remove if nobody needs it)

The starting paragraph can now be specified in the DEM file (Dragon Engine Module) for the module. If there's none, the game will default to "1".

The event/link system still has to be rewritten. Most of the current parsers will be trashed and replaced, while event handling will be moved to separate functions. This will mean that most of the Crypt Of The Vampire .EVT and .LNK files will have to be changed to conform to the new system. This is also why I haven't gone to finish the module yet.
Attached Files
File Type: rar DragonEngine Beta 1.0c.rar (170.5 KB, 1 views)

-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 01-09-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Any suggestions for colors to use for the various texts, messages and statistics?
Do keep in mind I'm limited to the 16-color CGA palette (link), though.

-- Reed Richards
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #19
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Some basic text colors are in.
Text fade effects are in.
A rudimentary title screen is in.

New event system is partially in - it will need a new condition parser in order to work, though (besides rewriting the event parser).
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3...gonengine7.png

It's partially based off how the current link system works (but improved), and in turn the new link system will be based off how the new event system works.

-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 04-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

New event system is in. Link system to be rewritten shortly.

-- Reed Richards