Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner > Programming
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 24-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Default DragonEngine

This is a test version of an interpreter program meant to replicate the system present in the "Golden Dragon" fantasy gamebook series.

Programmed in C++ during two days of weekend and three evenings of regular days, the engine is - to be honest - so far the most complicated single program I wrote.

I did my best to make sure no glitches crept in, but if you find any - do let me know!

How it works:
A compiled executable of the engine must be placed together with the files for the given module. (right now, at least - I do, however, intend to add support for running multiple modules from individual subdirectories)

Each module must have the following files:
player.dat
items.dat
weapons.dat
items.dat

weapons.dat

player.dat

This is what you need to start the game. Now, the important part is what makes up the actual game data.
Each file name corresponds to a node (scene) in the game - I use numbers, but the engine works so that you could use other names as long as they don't contain spaces(would mess with how some conditions work).
.par files

.evt files

.lnk files

.fgt files

Well, that's it for documentation. Let's see what can be done with the engine, shall we?
Attached Files
File Type: rar DragonEngine_binary.rar (116.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: rar DragonEngine_source.rar (4.8 KB, 2 views)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 24-08-2010 at 07:51 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I decided that having to name each weapon twice was dumb to begin with. So, a slightly updated engine is attached.
Now the weapons only have to be declared in weapons.dat, and the check if the player has a weapon was - shall we say, fixed - so that it doesn't have to open the weapons file every time.
Attached Files
File Type: rar DragonEngine_binary.rar (120.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: rar DragonEngine_source.rar (5.7 KB, 0 views)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 24-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

um, can you add values to weapons? You know, damage, etc? I know this is just an early example, and if not your goona add that stuff later, but yea, just wonderin

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 24-08-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Damage bonus for weapons, damage penalty for armour?
Possibly so.

-- Reed Richards
Old 26-08-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

so i saw in the CB that your almost done your first module for the dragon engine! what can we expect? Is it just a mini adventure to demo all the features thus far?

We ate the horse.
Old 26-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I'm halfway through inputting the entire first book from the Golden Dragon series. That's going to be a proper, complete adventure with 290 separate scenes.
Weapon and armor bonuses will be added to the engine, just as several other features (some of which will require more extensive changes, but will make stuff easier in the long term).
Doing this also helps me with finding bugs in the engine and features I have to add to properly handle the system.

-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 26-08-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 27-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

New beta. Partially complete first module.
Attached Files
File Type: rar DragonEngine_Beta.rar (159.8 KB, 21 views)

-- Reed Richards
Old 29-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I've made it so that the "null" value (no weapon/no armour) can be declared in the weapon file and armour file by using an exclamation mark as the weapon/armour name.

Also, the weapon and armour work differently from each other: The weapons don't increase the damage you deal, but rather modify your combat rolls (greater chance to hit the opponent), while the armour reduces the damage you receive from opponents (it doesn't apply to non-combat damage, though).

-- Reed Richards
Old 29-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

i think i found an error in your vampire crypty game...

Paragraph 190 was eaten by a Grue

thats all so far..

We ate the horse.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

That wasn't a complete version, just a progress release.
The paragraph warp at the start is there exactly to get around this sort of problem.

-- Reed Richards