Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-12-2007, 03:54 AM   #381
marshal99

Can't say that i remember the NPCs having speech in world of xeen but then the game i last played it like over 10 years ago , back then , when i bought it , it was in diskette format and i doubt that it had speech. (not that there's a lot of speech to be said - just the same things in armory , bank , etc).

Didn't even know there's a CD version of world of xeen.
marshal99 is offline                         Send a private message to marshal99
Old 23-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #382
zaphod_x86
Forum hobbit

I have Interplay's "Ultimate RPG Archives" which contains the CD version of this game.
And yes, it has speech for all NPCs (they have audio tracks on the CD) and no, the disk version never had speech.
zaphod_x86 is offline                         Send a private message to zaphod_x86
Old 28-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #383
RIPclass
ಠ__ಠ

Very nice games
RIPclass is offline                         Send a private message to RIPclass
Old 28-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #384
Capo
Unconventional member

I definitely agree
Capo is offline                         Send a private message to Capo
Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #385
dyingculture

I managed to find an edition of this game included with Might and Magic VI at Big Lots a couple of years back...it includes 1-5 and Swords of Xeen. This is a classic series, and World of Xeen is one of the pinnacles of the CRPG genre.

One thing I have noticed though...recently I have been watching RPGenie's Might and Magic videos on YouTube (so far he has posted videos on MM1 NES, MM2 SNES, MM3 SNES, World of Xeen, VI, and VII), and it seems that the quality of the music in his World of Xeen (starting at like video 21) is far superior to the version I have.

Does he have some special enhanced edition? I read somewhere that the version I have is supposedly the disk version, but it does have speech. I would link to the videos, but I haven't read all of the stickies yet, so I don't know if it's okay to link to them or not.
dyingculture is offline                         Send a private message to dyingculture
Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #386
dyingculture

I didn't see anything in the rules about not linking to YouTube, so here is the video I'm referencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUglS...eature=related
dyingculture is offline                         Send a private message to dyingculture
Old 07-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #387
kmonster
Abandonia Homie

Run install and play around with the sound card selections. Different sound cards sound differently.
kmonster is offline                         Send a private message to kmonster
Old 07-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #388
dyingculture

I tried that...there was definitely a difference in sound, but nothing like the quality heard in that video. Roland sounded a little better than Soundblaster when it came to certain instruments, but overall sounded much worse, like it's out of sync or something. Adlib was essentially the same as Soundblaster. DosBox doesn't seem to support any other sound hardware (at least that can be selected from the MMIV install utility).
Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #389
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

Just in case you missed this: When you change the sound configuration in the game, you should also change it correspondingly in the dosbox config file.
Old 20-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #390
levethian

Need to say - one of my favourite games. It took me a year to convince myself to play through its initially .. curious graphics, which I now think are lovely.

Any views on Swords of Xeen? I'm finding it less interesting, and more difficult.
levethian is offline                         Send a private message to levethian