Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: What religion do you believe in?
Catholic 7 8.43%
Atheist 27 32.53%
"Born Again" 3 3.61%
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) 3 3.61%
Christian non-denominational 8 9.64%
Hindu 1 1.20%
Pagan 0 0%
Lutheran 2 2.41%
Presbyterian 1 1.20%
Methodist 0 0%
Jewish 4 4.82%
Protestant 2 2.41%
Islam 3 3.61%
Other 5 6.02%
"I make my own religion" 15 18.07%
"None of your business" 2 2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

After the interesting discussion that is currently going on in the Sexual Orientation forum, I began to wonder what religion (if any) many of you are. Myself, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon) and proud of it!
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 15-02-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
FreeFreddy

I'm evangelic from birth on. But I don't hold to any religion. Though I'm no atheist, either. And no stubborn, blocking anything unusual "scientific" kind of thinking, rather open for anything new and unknown yet. Also logical thinking, combined with intuition. As such, I can believe anything that my inner voice tells me would be right, but also remain critical enough to differentiate lies from truth.

Old 15-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

That´s interesting. Thought the Mormons say no to everything that has to do with the "outer" world. In other words: they aren´t allowed to watch TV, drive cars, etc...
But maybe this goes more into the direction of the Hutterers???

I´m catholic. But I don´t care which confession I belong to. I think church and relion is some mediaval stuff. Everyone can believe in what he wants to. No need for some institution that tells you they operated in sense of a god.
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 15-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by FreeFreddy@Feb 15 2005, 07:25 AM
I'm evangelic from birth on. But I don't hold to any religion. Though I'm no atheist, either. And no stubborn, blocking anything unusual "scientific" kind of thinking, rather open for anything new and unknown yet. Also logical thinking, combined with intuition. As such, I can believe anything that my inner voice tells me would be right, but also remain critical enough to differentiate lies from truth.
Ok good, so you CAN tell the difference between your conscience and the evil little Leprachaun that tells you to burn things.

Edit:
@Don Corleone: You didn't by chance happen to see the movie Witness with Harrison Ford did you? I only ask, because I am frequently asked the question you did. In Witness, Harrison Ford goes to hide among the Amish people, but in many translations of the film, for one reason or another, they changed the word "Amish" into "Mormon." So no, Mormon's are allowed to use computers, drive cars, etc. Myself and many of friends are technilogical geeks.
Old 15-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
FreeFreddy

They're both opposite extremes. And I prefer to stay in the middle, using both when needed, prefering the good side usually, though. Because "good" is the same as ethics. And the inner voice only tells anything in ethical way.
If you can understand what I mean.

Old 15-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

I'm orthodox.I'm like freefreddy when it comes to religion.
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Old 15-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

I belong to no religion.
Although Slovenia is mostly Catolic country I was born in the time of the communist regime, so I wasn't baptised (so I wasn't forced into any religion). I can choose whichever I want, but I choose to stay atheist.

I'm convinced, that there's no higher being controling us. Everything that is, is a subject to the laws of nature (they aren't personal and there is no will behind them - they are cold and simple science). This however doesn't mean, that we shouldn't strive for a meaninful life - but you must find your own meaning, set your own goals (they off course must not harm others).

That being said I must say I am fascinated with philosophies of different religion (and also some other theories, like marxism,...). That doesn't mean I believe them, but they are trying to explain how everything came to be! Science can't do that (but I think that's only temperary). The main two faults of religions I found are:
-they come to a point, they can't explain something any more, so they say that's the will (or act of) a supreme being - GOD;
-institutions that are supposed to take care of religious needs are led by people, that were curropted in the past (way to many times, and many still are). So those people are many times trying to force their views upon others and were/are often an excuse for war. Many of them also exploit the fears, shame and misery of this life to tie people to their believe. But that's the problem off people that are leading religious movemants (and communism - which isn't a religion, but is really close to being one).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 15-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #8
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Feb 15 2005, 07:42 AM
I'm orthodox.I'm like freefreddy when it comes to religion.
So you and FreeFreddy kind of take the Homer Simpson route?
Old 15-02-2005, 04:19 PM   #9
wormpaul
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to wormpaul Send a message via Yahoo to wormpaul

I`m chatolic k:
Old 15-02-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

When a child is born in Iceland, it is put in the Lutherian church.
So, on records, I'm there.
But I never go to church, unless for some weddings or funerals or something like that.
I don't believe in god, Jesus nor any of all that.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin
Closed Thread