Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: Will terrorist attacks ever affect your life?
Yes, I'll never travel on the London Underground. 0 0%
Maybe in a while.... 2 9.52%
No, I would never let them win. 19 90.48%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #11
Kearnsy
Games Master

Oh of course it is.
Im just saying that Im not going to change my life complety just because of that very slim chance that a terrorist attack will happen.
Kearnsy is offline                         Send a private message to Kearnsy
Old 22-07-2005, 01:41 PM   #12
Iron_Scarecrow
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Jul 22 2005, 10:25 PM
You've as much chance of dying on an aeroplane as being killed by an asteroid...

Different things entirely.
I don't know, I think those two things come pretty close.
Iron_Scarecrow is offline                         Send a private message to Iron_Scarecrow
Old 22-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #13
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Jul 22 2005, 11:01 AM
Hmm this is a pretty stupid poll, due to the gung-ho views on terrorism. So what, there are attacks. What we don't hear is about 60% of the story.

Osama Bin Laden : Trained by the USA, funded by the USA and given weapons by them to fight off the Russians. Taliban helped by them too.

Surprisingly enough, he isn't a particuartly nice person and due to this he 'somehow' turned against his funders.

Why wasn't he killed in the early nineties? The Americans couldn't hire enough people to ensure his death.

Saddam Hussain : Put in by the USA to replace a government who they liked even less. Given money, arms, all of that lot. They also bought him some nuke-proof bunkers too.

Wiped out a lot of the Kurds, but since they had basically been terrorising the region I can't say that it was either unprovoked or underserved. Surprising as this may sound, they too were armed + funded by the USA.

Invaded Kuwait in a completely un-illegal war.

Now held by the USA, almost certainly going to die now in an unfair trial for crimes that George Bush has done.

And Blair and Bush are recognised as heroes by a fair few news channels *FOX NEWS*.

C'est la vie, je suppose...
What does this have to do with the original question?

The attacks will of course affect my life, but I will not change my habits or looking the wrong way people.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 22-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #14
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

What's the really big deal with terrorist attacks? They have been going on for eternety - but it's only after 24/7 news chanells apeared that terrorist attacks got great publicity.

Before you just heard about it in the news - or read it in the newspaper the next day. Now they are folloing the story (even though they have nothing then some blasts to report) and creating mass histeria.
Terrorist attacks are nothing new and the people have been to many things much worse then the attacks (terrorist attacks don't come close to stuff you go through in a war), yet life goes on. Your just adding oil to the fire by constantly talking about it.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 22-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
AlleyCat

I live in Denmark and since Al Quaida has announces that we are next, there is total paranoia, it's ridiculous. One of our central tube stations was evacuated because someone left a bag unatended, they brought out like a SWAT team because of an empty bag. I think it's fine to be on the lookout (somewhat pointless, but okay), but I think when they do it to such an unusual extent, they just help freak people out and create fear among people by reminding them of the threat, and that kindda completes the job of the terrorists...
So the way it affects me is by scaring me, not as a constant fear, but just an occasional pang of realisation that it COULD happen anytime and is not at all unlikely
AlleyCat is offline                         Send a private message to AlleyCat
Old 22-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #16
Danny252
I have a custom title!

the police have done a good job. by either delaying or cutting lines of communication, the most recent bombs did not go off. This is either because:
The bombs had 'gone off' like old food (:P) because they were delayed
The chemist who made the first batch of bombs could not get in touch with the bombers and they tried to make the bombs themselves (and failed miserably)
Old 22-07-2005, 02:17 PM   #17
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

I don't think you're right myself, but there we are, I disagree with a lot of things.

And my point was to do with the amount of terrorism in our countries and in others, and what caused it.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 22-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #18
A. J. Raffles
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Danny252@Jul 22 2005, 02:06 PM
the police have done a good job. by either delaying or cutting lines of communication, the most recent bombs did not go off. This is either because:
The bombs had 'gone off' like old food (:P) because they were delayed
The chemist who made the first batch of bombs could not get in touch with the bombers and they tried to make the bombs themselves (and failed miserably)
Or because some morons thought it was a great idea to do their own bombings. And I don't think it does great credit to the police that all those bombs would have gone off all right if they hadn't been badly made...
A. J. Raffles is offline                         Send a private message to A. J. Raffles
Old 22-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #19
PrejudiceSucks
Above-Par

Also, here's a point that nobody ever raises -

Why is there terrorism?

Because it works, that's why. There are not going to be many people in the UK, USA, Canada, Europe, Asia, Oceania, South America or even Africa who will not have heard about this or September the 11th (I resent it being called 9/11 by the way...).

Hence, it is shown that it works.
PrejudiceSucks is offline                         Send a private message to PrejudiceSucks
Old 22-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #20
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos@Jul 22 2005, 02:59 PM
What's the really big deal with terrorist attacks? They have been going on for eternety - but it's only after 24/7 news chanells apeared that terrorist attacks got great publicity.
True, Israel has had to endure terrorattacks for a long time now, the peak being when civilian busses were blown up nearly every day and it was just a small item in the scrolling newsbar.
The difference now is that it (terrorism) is no longer a thing that only happened to people that live in far away countries.
The same fear existed during the time that France was the target of terrorist bombing, and when Belgium had to endure terrorist attacks by communist terrorists.