Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 18-03-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
assasian346

when the game gets past the intro movies and to the bridge all i see is the mouse and i can hear the bridge sounds but theres no picard data or anyone just a mouse

Old 19-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Without knowing what you have exactly done and what specifically is the problem, we cannot help you.
Until you post more detailed information about your problem, I can only refer you to this FAQ.

Please post a more detailed description of your problem including any and all error messages you encountered.

Also, describe where exactly did you unpack the game and what commands have you entered in DosBox (exact syntax, please; it's important).

If you have made any modifications to your DosBox.conf, please post a copy of its contents.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 19-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
assasian346

thanks for replying and i am using dosbox 0.70 no changes to the .conf file but i am using dfend i don't know if thats a problem and i installed the game to its default install location i also am using dos32a and dynamic core theres no error messages just a black screen and a mouse and the bridge sounds i love this game so any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 20-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
but i am using dfend i don't know if thats a problem[/b]
Is one. D-Fend is known to cause issues with some games - guess this might be one of them.

Quote:
i also am using dos32a[/b]
This is also a problem, at least from my point of view. When I used D32A instead of DOS4GW, I ended up having major stability problems with a number of games.

For the moment, try run the game without D-Fend and using DOS4GW instead of DOS32A, and post back here on what was the result.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 20-03-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
assasian346

I did what you said fifth horseman and in the dosbox status window i get illegal read from messages

Old 20-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
The Spider Mastermind
Forum hobbit

Strange. I have "A Final Unity" working (although with the ocassional flicker in the movies) in DosBox 0.70 without making any changes to the config file or running any extra utilities with it. I'm not using DFend and I'm running through DOS4GW, as T5h suggested. I'm at a complete loss to figure out why it works for me like that, and not for you.
The only thing out of the ordinary I did was make the CD into an ISO because it was scratched and I was sick of the game stopping for 30 seconds whenever it needed anything from the CD.
The Spider Mastermind is offline                         Send a private message to The Spider Mastermind
Old 21-03-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
assasian346

yeah TSM i made an iso for that same reason i even copied it to the hard drive but i still get the illegal read from messages

Old 21-03-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Data
retired

sound is setup correctly ?
Old 21-03-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

This sort of message might indeed be a result of incorrect choice of soundcard.

Another thing to check is the amount of RAM required by the game - DosBox uses 16 MB by default, so if the game needs more, a crash like that may occur.

Finally, you said you were using Dynamic Core. Change the core to Normal and see if the crash still occurs. Also, are you running on auto cycles or on a predefined cycle value?

-- Reed Richards
Old 21-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #10
The Spider Mastermind
Forum hobbit

QUOTE(Data @ Mar 21 2007, 07:36 AM) [snapback]284401[/snapback]
Quote:
sound is setup correctly ?
[/b]
If you're referring to the in game sound set up, I have it working with SoundBlaster Pro selected, with IRQ 7 and DMA channel 3 (I think, I won't be able to re-check these settings until the weekend).
I also set the in game movies to "window mode" rather than fullscreen mode, but I doubt that's the problem, because if it was, it'd surely have messed up whilst playing the intro movie, rather than after it.
The Spider Mastermind is offline                         Send a private message to The Spider Mastermind