Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2006, 04:20 AM   #11
win98
In the loop on hardware.

Did you manage to fix the pc? Have you installed the recommended software?
win98 is offline                         Send a private message to win98
Old 20-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Jul 17 2006, 10:39 PM) [snapback]243688[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I personnaly use Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware Se Personal, Spyware Doctor.

Also, get Firefox if you don't use it already. Best spyware and ad blocker ever. You can find several extentions to help you out for security reasons too, I love NoScript for instance.
[/b]
What exactly does this "NoScript"... I use an UMTS-flat at the moment and the provider proxies all pictures so that they have a lower quality. Would "NoScript" avoid something like that?
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 20-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #13
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

NoScript prevent everything external to Firefox, like Java Script, Flash, plugins, etc. to be executed without my immediate consent.
Old 21-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #14
Bobbin Threadbare
Not quite dead.

Unhappy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Jul 21 2006, 01:59 AM) [snapback]244181[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
NoScript prevent everything external to Firefox, like Java Script, Flash, plugins, etc. to be executed without my immediate consent.
[/b]
I just use that. I really can't be stuffed to get rid of spyware. Just get used to it. Horseman has a good tutorial for you too.
Old 21-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #15
FISHCHAIR
Abandonia nerd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(win98 @ Jul 20 2006, 05:20 AM) [snapback]244083[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Did you manage to fix the pc? Have you installed the recommended software?
[/b]

??????? well in a way yeah. But i only get popups in a different language now, I think its in french ?????????
believe me i am not even taking the piss ? what the hell ??? can anyone help me please this is really doing my head in now
I have managed to remove the other crap of my computer now thanx to all you helpfull people. But i still get popups poping up written in french. But the thing about these popups is they dont have a home adress ???. in other words abandonias http adress at the moment is "http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index." so the popups i am getting at the moment dont have a http address.and are written in another language. please help
FISHCHAIR is offline                         Send a private message to FISHCHAIR
Old 22-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #16
melthas
Abandonia nerd

In my opinion you need the following: (at least these are what I use)

1.Firewall
2.Anti-virus
3.Anti-spyware
4.Registry Optimizer

You can try Zonelabs Internet Security Suite, it contains first three but it considerably slows down PC and I doubt its virus and spyware database is good enough. I'm not using it anymore. If you want, Zonelabs also has seperate products. (Firewall is good but it conflicts with Avast)

Lavasoft Ad-Aware is really good at cleaning spyware. On the other hand I think real-time protection is necessary, no meaning to recover after getting infected, so I offer you to get the Pro version. Spybot could also be essential, it's quick, effective.

For virus protection I tried Zonelabs, AVG, Antivir and finally Avast. Avast seems really cool and it is free.

After all an optimizer should be used for correcting registry entries and improving performance. WinASO is really handy.(Only neg is that you can only correct 10 entries in trial mode)

Here is my suggestion:
Download and install Avast, Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Winaso and a firewall of your choice. Open your browser, delete all temporary files, cookies, etc. Perform deep scans both with anti-virus and anti-spyware. Then open Winaso, set the scan to aggresive mode and don't use ignore list. Delete all wrong entries after the scan. Finally don't enter junk sites k:

Currently I am using Avast, Ad-Aware and Winaso. These seems enough at the moment, I don't encounter any problems. I didn't change my browser but I guess it will surely help. I hope this wasn't so long

(BTW I'm looking for an another firewall which doesn't conflict)
melthas is offline                         Send a private message to melthas
Old 22-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #17
Danny252
I have a custom title!

Firefox works great for me. Mind, I know a site where one popup always gets through, but on the whole, it's great.

It occasionally blocks one I want, but thats what the "Temporarily allow popups" button is good for.

I have McAffee aswell (Not legally acquired, mind), and that can root out some adware. My dad has about 5 different programs for adware/spyware on his pc, but they take forever to start.
Old 23-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #18
JimmyJ
Game Wizzard

wait, where is the temporarily allow popups button at??
JimmyJ is offline                         Send a private message to JimmyJ
Old 23-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
Japo
Autonomous human

When a popup is blocked a frame appears telling you, and I think that clicking on it you can allow one popup at a time, or all popups for that site. I don't know if it was this Danny was talking about. Anyway it's very difficult for a navigator to mistake a wanted popup with an unwanted one, after all you're clicking for the former but the latter comes without a click.

Meh, I use Opera, it's so much faster and stuff.
Old 23-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #20
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Icewolf @ Jul 17 2006, 11:01 AM) [snapback]243632[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Use this one:

Spybot - Search & Destroy

It's real spyware a$$-kicking program. But you have to be aware what you're removing. But you get enough disclaimers about that. It's like overclocking.
[/b]
This really is the best, I've used it to clean up my PC completely, it works fine and dandy.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy