Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #31
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally posted by BLOODUK+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLOODUK)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>not looking for vip status are we[/b]

Actually, I am. Right now I am preparing 50-odd games for upload.

Quote:
Originally posted by BLOODUK@
Did i mention wa*ez?
I'll answer with a direct quote.
<!--QuoteBegin-BLOODUK

Who cares put them up , the game is well old and shouldnt be sold at the price they are on that ONE SITE!!! [/quote]

Quote:
back off buddy dont flame people , when they dont flame you!
I did not intend my post to be taken as a flame. If you felt it to be that way, I am sorry. I am sometimes too straightforward, I guess.

Just remember... getting the companies to Abandonia will result in us all losing both a great site and a great community. Not to mention getting Kosta and all the high command to court for software piracy - when one company gets on that, the rest will join in as quickly as flies on a corpse.

Pax?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #32
The jaws of cerberus

but how can a game is still being sold is the company that create the games doesnt exist no more?

and please take yours fights somewhere else, this topic is to disscus about the game not to argue about stupid things
The jaws of cerberus is offline                         Send a private message to The jaws of cerberus
Old 12-01-2005, 07:58 PM   #33
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by The jaws of cerberus@Jan 12 2005, 08:22 PM
but how can a game is still being sold is the company that create the games doesnt exist no more?
Any product on a communications medium doesn't become "free to all" because the person who did it dies, or the company that initially owned it ceases to exist. Legally binding contracts determine ownership, and these rights are often transferred. That explains why JRR Tolkien's eldest son was able to successfully sue the hell out of Ace Books back in the 1960s when they put out a pirated edition of the Lord of the Rings in the US. The same thing happens with games many games when their developers and publishers vanish; it's just less obvious.

That's why, for example, Jim Gasperini could claim ownership of his 1980s title, Hidden Agenda, despite the fact that Springboard Software, the publisher, has been gone for nearly two decades. Gasperini wrote it, and he can claim the intellectual copyright. Fortunately, he's generous: he offers the game free on his website to anybody who will contribute to one of a group of charities that Gasperini supports. Other developers don't want their titles available currently, and keep a tight rein on them. It isn't worth the trouble arguing with them.

The best thing you can hope for is that the company or developer simply doesn't care any longer. That explains why EA, which owns everything Orogin Systems ever did, doesn't come after websites that give away the Ultima titles. EA realizes the huge interest in those games will simply drive the transaction underground if they attempt to sell them; though it wouldn't surprise me if someday, someone in their bookeepping department gets the bright idea to do just that, again. Then we could expect to receive dunning notices demanding that the Ultima games be removed from Abandonia.

Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #34
The jaws of cerberus

oh
The jaws of cerberus is offline                         Send a private message to The jaws of cerberus
Old 15-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #35
The jaws of cerberus

so i guess that is nothing more to say about this topic.

so
it can be closse
Old 15-01-2005, 03:04 PM   #36
Omuletzu
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via MSN to Omuletzu Send a message via Yahoo to Omuletzu

Roger :bye:
Omuletzu is offline                         Send a private message to Omuletzu
Closed Thread