Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #151
Wicky
the little viking

Just wanted to tell you, that I managed to beat the M.A.X campaign on expert difficulty level. I dug out the game because I remembered that I never completed it, and it was rather cool!

You have to build a base like in Starcraft, but there's metal to be found first with surveyor vehicles, and the factories have to be connected with them with pipelines!
And mines require fuel, because their powergenerators don't start working on electricity, unless you have everything very realistically planned, in addition to a normal RTS-game.
Wicky is offline                         Send a private message to Wicky
Old 19-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #152
Bethrezen

Default M.A.X v1.56 issues

hi all

I have posted about these issues before but it doesn't seem as though anything has been done about them so I though I'd ask again.

does anyone ever plans on releasing a v1.57 patch for M.A.X ??

while the 1.56 version of M.A.X that can be downloaded from abandonia does seem to be more stable than the official 1.04 patch for M.A.X its buggy unstable behaviour has not been completely eliminated yet and I'm still experiencing random crashes / lockups or general malfunctions

for example

The demo that would normally only pop up if you left the game inactive at the main screen for a period of time pops up continually

My settings keep getting reset to the default specifically

it will continually reset alien derelicts from common to none

it will change the game type from turn based to simultaneous

its resets the scroll speed

the animation you get the first time you start a new game of the builder roiling through the desert with the motorbikes keeps getting set to on even though I've set it to off

The zoom level keeps getting reset so that it is zoomed all the way in even though I normally have this set at about 75%

when trying to transfer materials from my constructors to my mines/storage silos it wont let me in the 1.04 version of M.A.X when ever you transfer material from your constructors back to the complex the materials will be automatically distributed between each of the storage bays that have space but in 1.56 this doesn't happen and you have to manually search through each of your storage bays till you can find some space and then off load in to that one directly this is quite obviously a bug

On occasion when starting a new game I get to the point where it asks you to select a starting location but instead of the game loading and going to the map after you select one it crashes back to the desktop and M.A.X turns its self off

The switch on the preferences menu that lets you decide if you want units to stop or not when enemy units are encountered is missing this is quite obviously a bug

so anyone know of a newer patched version of the Maxrun.exe that has these issues ironed out ??
Bethrezen is offline                         Send a private message to Bethrezen
Old 19-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #153
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

As far as I know, 1.56 is the highest version there is. And don't even bother asking if someone could make an unofficial patch - things being as they are, the person to manage it would have to be some sort of genius hacker/programmer.
About your settings, check if the contents of the MAX directory are set to read only. If any are, clear the attribute and the settings should not reset anymore.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 21-03-2008, 02:28 AM   #154
Bethrezen

Quote:
As far as I know, 1.56 is the highest version there is. And don't even bother asking if someone could make an unofficial patch - things being as they are, the person to manage it would have to be some sort of genius hacker/programmer.
oh ??? so who was it that did the 1.56 build because so far as i am aware the last official build from interplay was 1.04

if it was someone from here they would it not be possible for them to give the current build 1.56 build the once over to see if it would be possible to correct these issues that still haven been fixed ?

as for checking for read only I've checked and removed read only from all the files and will see if that resolves the issues with setting getting reset
Bethrezen is offline                         Send a private message to Bethrezen
Old 21-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #155
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

The 1.56 we have came from Home of The Underdogs. No idea where they got it.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #156
Wicky
the little viking

Why don't you get my version of M.A.X?
I've got it fully working, and I never heard of any of the problems you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
I have setup a fully working Version of M.A.X in eMule just right now.
It contains a highly compressed rar archive of about everything the full install does, there are no advertisements nor preview trailers from the original CD.

Including music, digital speech, movies etc...

ed2k://|file|M.A.X%20-%20Mechanized%20Assault%20&%20Exploration%20(DOS). rar|235631161|B0C06BC28AD5CAC02A5395C1A75ACA5C|h=D A365RO7YVGOMJQ7G46HYW63LD6IPBGW|/
And the best: It weighs only 230mb, Good hunting

Last edited by Wicky; 22-05-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 23-03-2008, 05:39 PM   #157
Wicky
the little viking

Could we pls search for the game in emule in the future, the load is just too much for my private comp, sorry.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #158
jackamell
Lurker

Default How to install M.A.X.

I have downloaded M.A.X. Mechanized Assault and Exploration but have not been able to make it run. Can anyone help? Do I need DOSBot? I am running Vista....
jackamell is offline                         Send a private message to jackamell
Old 01-05-2008, 10:02 PM   #159
Mighty Midget
Pox Vobiscum

If you're on Vista, then either try XP compatibility mode or get DOSBox. Also, a bit more info would help, like what exactly happens when you try to run the game?
Old 25-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #160
Wicky
the little viking

There is a bug when there are too many units. I think it hits the maximum then the game crashes:
"Assertion failed: index >=0 && index<count, file smartlst.cpp, line 189"

Is there an inofficial patch which has a solution?