Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 21-12-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
kleine777
Game freak

just wondering is it still possible to get a drive b now days?
kleine777 is offline                         Send a private message to kleine777
Old 21-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Just as easily it is to have a drive A.
Old 22-12-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Just get a second floppy disk drive, it isn't hard.

Though why would you want that is beyond me - the transfer rates will be impaired if simultaneously using two FDD's, not to mention that it really doesn't have much of a practical use (speaking as someone who's been there and done that).

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #4
kleine777
Game freak

i maen the old drive b with the really big floppy disks no the ones we have today.
kleine777 is offline                         Send a private message to kleine777
Old 22-12-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

God almighty...

Whichever type of FDD you have, you can connect it either as A or B. The latter appears only in two cases: 1. You have one FDD and enable the floppy letter swap option in your BIOS or 2. You have two FDD's.

All you need is an appropriate floppy IDE cable and the 5" floppy drive itself.

Why do you want to do such a thing?

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 22-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #6
kleine777
Game freak

:blink: sorry but i didnt understand a word you said i don't know all those tecnichal things and i wanted a drive b: cause my older brother said he had some games in those big b: driver floppies wanted to check what he had. (hopefully he still has them).
Old 22-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #7
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

If you didn't understand my prevois post:
FDD stands for Floppy Disk Drive. Either the small 3,5" or the large 5,25" one (that's the one you're asking about).
BIOS is the mini-program on your motherboard that controls most of the computer's function.
The IDE cable is the cable used to connect drives to the computer's motherboard. There are two sorts of these - one for hard drives and CD drives and one for floppies. The floppy IDE cable must have certain sort of connectors for you to be able to connect it to the 5,25" drive.

As I said, the 5,25" floppy drive is NOT called "Drive B". It's just 5,25" FDD, not much different from the smaller 3,5" one, really.

Read some on these things on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk

However, seeing as even 8 years ago - when I have found out that a game I bought was on 5,25" FDD's - this format was on decline, you might have trouble finding a 5,25" drive these days, not to mention that most of your brother's 5,25" floppies will probably be degraded beyond recovery.

-- Reed Richards
Old 22-12-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Really depend on how he conserved his floppies. They still may be as new than when he got them out of the box, or as you said beyond repair and recovery. The second case is, of course, more likely.
Old 22-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
kleine777
Game freak

ok thanks for all your help i suppose i need to say bye to those disks but thanks for all your help