Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Forgotten Games Bureau > Cold Cases
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 25-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #1
pczelda

Send a message via MSN to pczelda
Talking

k: Maybe you can help me. I'm trying to find a great old computer game, but I can't remember the title. I remember that it was maze-like and it was similar to Gauntlet (of Nintendo fame), and you had a certain amount of time to get to the exit of each level. You start at level one and as you go deeper, the levels (and enemies) get harder to beat. There were supposedly at least 100 levels to this game, and also supposedly on the 100th level there was a very hard, giant boss. This game also came with a cardboard wheel that you turned based on instructions in the game so you could get the specific password to continue.

If you know what this game is called, where I could find it, and whether the wheel could be constructed manually, or whether the game has been hacked to prevent this need, please let me know. Thanks for your help!
"Baldrick, believe me, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil if we can't replace this dictionary." - Blackadder
pczelda is offline                         Send a private message to pczelda
Old 25-01-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Not sure about the game, but you posted it on wrong part of forum.

Do you remeber graphics, were they simillar to nintendo graphics?
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 25-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

might this be the game???
http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2902
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 25-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Dungeon Hack?
Old 26-01-2005, 03:28 AM   #5
pczelda

As far as graphics, I think it may have been similar to the old Nintendo's; it's a very old game. It seemed very good for its time, however.

As for that game mentioned, Get Medieval, isn't it. I know it didn't have that name, and the game wasn't that new. It's a lot older than that. Maybe not as much as ten years, but somewhere thereabouts. It was on old 5 1/4" diskettes, the game box was super thin (an inch or even less), and the password wheel was made of cardboard; every so many levels in the game, it would prompt you to get the wheel and line up certain parts of it to reveal the password; this was a security device made to prevent pirating of the software.

I also remember about the game that you had to sometimes find keys to unlock doors to progress through the level, and there were also treasures to find to increase your wealth.
"Baldrick, believe me, eternity in the company of Beelzebub and all his hellish instruments of death will be a picnic compared to five minutes with me and this pencil if we can't replace this dictionary." - Blackadder
Old 28-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
mrpeenut24

was it by any chance on a macintosh? i asked about a similar game a while back called Citadel: Adventure of the Crystal Keep. it took forever to find it...cuz i kinda forgot to mention that it was on a mac. :whistle: it also had a cardboard wheel, it came out a long time ago, and was about a maze. you can check it out here: http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=479 unfortunately it only works on a mac. maybe this'll help!
mrpeenut24 is offline                         Send a private message to mrpeenut24
Old 28-01-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

mr. peenut that citadel game sounds interesting, would it work in a mac emulator? and also do you have a download link that works?
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 28-01-2005, 11:30 PM   #8
feminista
Abandonia nerd

It should work with a 68k emulator like Basilisk II, I would think. Check it out, great program. Never seen OS 7.5 boot so fast.
feminista is offline                         Send a private message to feminista
Old 29-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #9
pczelda

:Titan: No, I've never played anything on a Macintosh... that doesn't seem like the name, either. I've always played on a PC with some form of Windows on it. Citadel does sound interesting, though. Unlike Citadel, however, I think my game didn't have a party of people to choose from or play with (just one person). I also don't think there was ever a shop to buy things from like in one person's description, and you don't have to have torches.