Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Invalid Requests
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
Henki

Default Stugan [NON-English]

Hi!

I'm new here, so I hope I don't do anything wrong by suggesting a game to be uploaded on this site. I read the rules and figured there would be no problem.

Stugan is an old Swedish text based game written by three kids (at the time) around 1986. Although they were only around 13 years old when the development started, the result was groundbreaking. As I've understood, this is the first text based game ever to be written in any other language than English. It has some basic AdLib speaker sounds (and songs!) which certainly remind me of good old times with the old 286 computer (with the 8" green tone monitor)! Considering when it was written, the game was really HUGE with its 10 000 lines of BASIC coding.

It takes place in and around a mysterious cottage ("Stuga", in Swedish. The name "Stugan" simply means "the cottage"), that has many rooms and halls, and even a graveyard. Your job is to explore the house and its surroundings and gain points, because (if I have understood this correctly) sooner or later you will lose (at least, that's what I always have done), and the goal is to try to get as many points as possible by exploring as much as possible, and completing different tasks you are given.

The game is really hard, even if you play it over and over again. It is impossible to create a real geographic "map" over the cottage, because it has so many rooms that they seem to go into each other. The game is charming because of its AdLib sound effects and even the earliest ASCII graphics I have ever seen. The descriptions of the characters and other things you will meet are both funny and cute.

Also, if you have not yet understood it, the game is completely written in Swedish. That's why not many here would appreciate it very much. Still, I have seen some Swedes here and I don't think they would disagree that Stugan is a real classic of classics in text based gaming.

Download it here! It includes an installer file, which will extract not only the game, but also pictures of the cover, an old article from 1988, and even the disk itself.

Official (?) site
Swedish wikipedia

Cheers!
Henki is offline                         Send a private message to Henki
Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

I have translated the text from Swedish to English, correct me if I'm wrong, the game is Freeware and it run under windows Xp, right?
Well, the problem is that generally Abandonia do not deal with non-english games.

Considering its nature and the small size, you could ask a special permission to Kosta (the owner).

By the way, is it possible to obtain a English version?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Henki

Quote:
Originally Posted by David86 View Post
I have translated the text from Swedish to English, correct me if I'm wrong, the game is Freeware and it run under windows Xp, right?
Well, the problem is that generally Abandonia do not deal with non-english games.

Considering its nature and the small size, you could ask a special permission to Kosta (the owner).

By the way, is it possible to obtain a English version?
What text? But yes, it runs perfectly under Windows XP and it's freeware. They have even released the source codes in case anyone would want to get it running with other operation systems, programs etc.

An English version? Well... don't get your hopes up. I don't think anyone has translated that big text game into English (yet :P ). Not that the general language in the game is hard to translate, it's just too much of it.

Special request to Kosta? Would I dare? :worried:
Henki is offline                         Send a private message to Henki
Old 03-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #4
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henki View Post
Special request to Kosta? Would I dare? :worried:
The question is, would you care, since he's never online at all the last time so you might wait for months until he replies.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Well, he's busy with university, if you are really interested try with his dad
Romano
Old 17-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
Paco
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Paco Send a message via MSN to Paco Send a message via Yahoo to Paco

Stugan

[INVALID]
until a english version exist then its [FREEWARE]

Check here for Maps i made
Paco is offline                         Send a private message to Paco