Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #121
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FoxURA @ Feb 27 2007, 09:18 PM) [snapback]281237[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I tried running it using D-Fend but I got some error about there not being enough memory, what shoule I do?
[/b]

In d-fend edit the profile for the game and click on the environment tab and increase the amount of memory that it is allocating.

"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 28-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #122
Phex

Hello!

I cant seem to get this working under Win98.
It just crashes when I run KONDOR.EXE. When I change the letters in DRIVE.CFG to the drive where I copied this game and start KONDOR.EXE again, the screen turns black and a text appears: "Loading...", but nothing more happens and the pc crashes.

Anyone got an idea?

Old 28-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #123
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I tried running it using D-Fend but I got some error about there not being enough memory, what shoule I do?[/b]
Stop using D-Fend. It's little more than a crutch in disguise, really.
If you do things right, you can create shortcuts to make DosBox run specific games (or simply start with specific settings) without any frontend.

Quote:
I cant seem to get this working under Win98.
It just crashes when I run KONDOR.EXE. When I change the letters in DRIVE.CFG to the drive where I copied this game and start KONDOR.EXE again, the screen turns black and a text appears: "Loading...", but nothing more happens and the pc crashes.[/b]
Either use DosBox to run the game or reboot your machine into DOS and run the game from there.

These two topics should help:
How to configure DOS for gaming
Win98 - Memory

Another option is to use Abandonia's bootdisk.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-02-2007, 11:11 PM   #124
FoxURA
Forum hobbit

The reason I use D-Fend is because I am not the most computer leterate person. Yes I can use them well, I just am not that good a programming things. Besides that I would prefer to just skip directly to games by clicking on an icon instead of going through DOS box itself. Although if someone would tell me how to set up Krondor to run through its own icon I'm willing to give it a shot.
FoxURA is offline                         Send a private message to FoxURA
Old 01-03-2007, 02:13 AM   #125
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FoxURA @ Feb 28 2007, 04:18 AM) [snapback]281237[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Does that mean there are more Krondor abandonware games? Because only Betrayal of Krondor is on Abandonia.
[/b]
I don't know the abandonware status of the other two games, but Return to Krondor is a depressingly unimaginative attempt by Sierra to do a followup, while Betrayal at Antara, by Dynamix, is among the worst attempts at a sequel ever attempted, and a truly, horrifically bad game. Why would you want to play either of these, when are so many good games (not to mention excellent books, films, and other things to do with living, human beings) to check out?
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #126
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Borodin @ Feb 28 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]281361[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FoxURA @ Feb 28 2007, 04:18 AM) [snapback]281237[/snapback]
Quote:
Does that mean there are more Krondor abandonware games? Because only Betrayal of Krondor is on Abandonia.
[/b]
I don't know the abandonware status of the other two games, but Return to Krondor is a depressingly unimaginative attempt by Sierra to do a followup, while Betrayal at Antara, by Dynamix, is among the worst attempts at a sequel ever attempted, and a truly, horrifically bad game. Why would you want to play either of these, when are so many good games (not to mention excellent books, films, and other things to do with living, human beings) to check out? [/b][/quote]

I don't think Betrayal in Antara is a sequel to the Krondor saga. Used the same game engine. Return to Krondor wasn't that bad. Antara did suck, however.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #127
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Although if someone would tell me how to set up Krondor to run through its own icon I'm willing to give it a shot.[/b]
I'll send you detailed instructions via PM tomorrow.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #128
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Geezer @ Mar 1 2007, 05:41 AM) [snapback]281366[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
I don't think Betrayal in Antara is a sequel to the Krondor saga. Used the same game engine. Return to Krondor wasn't that bad. Antara did suck, however.
[/b]
Not a gameplay sequel, which really doesn't matter, but a sequel in terms of project, marketing, concept, and appearance. I would go so far as to say it was a near-clone, done by people without the slightest idea how to make a good game and whose only thought was "cram more of the same down their throats but make it much, much more." So combat balance was lacking, character writing was abysmal, etc. Suck doesn't begin to describe it.

The reason it came to be that way was that a certain VP at Dynamix who tangled with and hated the Betrayal at Krondor development team fired them all right after the title was published. It proved a big hit, so that VP took an inhouse programmer with no game design experience and ordered him to make a followup as quickly as possible. Antara was the result. I spoke to the programmer-who-was-made-king when I got my copy for review, and he frankly struck me as a good-natured lug without the slightest idea what he was doing. His attitude to questions about why plot elements didn't connect and why balance was so bad was to laugh and say, "Oh, well! Hey, at least they gave me a great job doing it!" :blink:
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 12-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #129
RyuRanX

Send a message via AIM to RyuRanX

I've started this game twice, but never made to the first town. I think I'll try again =D
RyuRanX is offline                         Send a private message to RyuRanX
Old 19-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #130
Blittz

Fun game, you just gotta keep Stamina in mind. Two of my party members were mortally wounded because they went to battle with like 3 stamina. Then I went to get them healed, and it was WAY out of my budget :tai: