Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 28-11-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Rorture
Forum hobbit

Hi, I made this thread in response to continous delving into political/social issues in other, unrelated threads. The topic is simple. Bring up an issue you know about and discuss it. Please don't descend into stupid insult duels, as they are lame.
Rorture is offline                         Send a private message to Rorture
Old 28-11-2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

Okay, what about corporal punishment?
Old 28-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #3
Rorture
Forum hobbit

Okay, first issue, Maerlyn and I were having an argument about whether you should discipline your children by hitting them. My opnion is no, because, as I originally stated -

Kids are impressionable at a young age. You hit them then, the first thing they learn is that the only way to deal with someone doing something you don't like is to hurt them. Hammer this mentality into them too much, and they will turn out to be violent people.
Old 28-11-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
Rorture
Forum hobbit

Corporal punishment is stupid, no child should be hit at school. The power to hurt someone is too much to give to teacher, no matter how good that teacher may be.
Old 28-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #5
Maerlyn
Abandonia nerd

Was not arguing with you, but mabye i said what i meant the wrong way. I see these parents on Current Affair programs whining because their kids walk all over them, yelling, screaming and sometimes even hitting.

These parents just sit back crying, not realising what needs to be done. Now the wonder of science gives every parent and child an excuse for this bs behaviour, its called ADHD. I believe that you can verbally stop most of this, just get some balls, and if in the extreme cases that doesnt work, the kid needs a smack.

I was smacked when i was a kid, i am not a violent person at all, i despise people that pick fights at pubs and such - i do not mean beat the kid black and blue, just learn when it needs to be treated a certain way.

Ofcourse now days, the kid will probabaly end up running to social services claiming he/she was abused. It is pathetic.
Maerlyn is offline                         Send a private message to Maerlyn
Old 28-11-2004, 02:28 PM   #6
Maerlyn
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally posted by Rorture@Nov 28 2004, 03:23 PM
Corporal punishment is stupid, no child should be hit at school. The power to hurt someone is too much to give to teacher, no matter how good that teacher may be.
I agree completely.
Maerlyn is offline                         Send a private message to Maerlyn
Old 28-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #7
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I disagree. My father beat me back when I was much younger when I did something really wrong and I never turned out to be a bully.
I've never picked a fight on anybody. And I'm not a social outcast either.

I think PARENTS (not teachers) should be allowed to punishment their children this way, as long as they don't take it to extremes.

I believe the fact that parents are now way too lazy to discipline their children properly is much more to blaim for an increase in young delinquents than 'violent TV'
These delinquent children never faced the consequences for their actions. The severest punishment they ever got was being grounded or something. What does that teach them?
Old 28-11-2004, 02:32 PM   #8
Rorture
Forum hobbit

Okay, maybe a small show of force if the kid exceeds the boundaries (i.e. hits you), but earlier, it sounded as if you were suggesting smacking as the primary means of punishment.
Old 28-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
Yamcha
Home Sweet Abandonia

My father hited me sometimes when i was making some real BS.This is correct.but beating a child with belt just because he dont have good points this is sick(this is the case of 1 of my friends and he has 14 tears :blink:
Old 28-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #10
Puffin
Abandonia Homie

I don't believe that beating the kids is the right thing.

I know that I'm a kid from hell. Wow, I'm the kid nobody wishes to have. Seriously. I'm messed up. Sometimes I take some phases, where I'm really evil, towards everybody. It lasts for weeks, sometimes. But my parents never lay a hand on me, they manage to sort things out without beating me.
Usually by telling me to stay in my room, take away my computer, stop driving me to school, ban me to use the phone, stuff like that.
Once they cancelled a trip to Europe.

And I really hate when teachers beat up students. One of my children-school teachers used to beat up students (he got fired after my friend told on him), another is more pervertic, but used it as a punishment.

I don't think it's the best way to raise children like that.
Puffin is offline                         Send a private message to Puffin