Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 03-10-2004, 07:39 PM   #41
Beast58

I can't download DOSBOX

can someone send it to me in email or through AIM???

Old 05-10-2004, 01:28 AM   #42
Beast58

OK!

I finally got the DOSBOX downloaded how do I use it???

how do I play Starcon2 through it! when I start it up its in zdirectory and I can't switch over to C drive! HELP!!!

Old 13-10-2004, 02:51 AM   #43
humbaba

Send a message via MSN to humbaba

A great game. I liked Starflight a bit better from the 80's but Star Control II was soo funny and the music was among the best for it's time. I'm glad people are still enjoying it.
humbaba is offline                         Send a private message to humbaba
Old 14-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #44
Fathamburger

Hahahaha suckers who have the computer star-map LOL . I have the original full one.
Fathamburger is offline                         Send a private message to Fathamburger
Old 15-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #45
FreeFreddy

Good for you...
But scanning it still will provide others with the "near-oroginal" map, so go crying elsewhere... sucker...

Old 16-10-2004, 08:23 AM   #46
Endop

I haven't tried this one, but have had great time with a free remake "The Ur-Quan Masters". It has new musics (better quality, but but big download) and works without DosBOX. It is the same game, however. Well, atleast so I have read... If someone has problems downloading/running this one, here is the link: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

I think someone already posted the link, but am not sure.

As for how to run DosBOX:

You have to create new shortcut for DoxBOX.exe (right-click on and to choose "create shortcut" or something like that). Then you have to some properties of the shortcut (right-click the shortcut, choose "Properties". There are two paths (C:\abc\...) in there. One is the path of dosbox.exe, other is the folder the program dosbox runs is run from. You have to add path to the game you want Dosbox to run after the path of dosbox.exe.

Here is dosbox path with address to program called XYZ.xyz in folder sc2 in folder games on your c-drive after it. I don't know what is the name or type (.exe or .bat, probably) of the starcon2 program, you have to solve that yourself.

C:\DOSBox-0.61\dosbox.exe c:\games\sc2\XYZ.xyz
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You also have to change the working folder so that when dosbox runs StarCon2 the program finds the files it is looking for.

To the 'working folder' or similar part of shortcut properties, put eg. c:\games\sc2\. Replace that with the path StarCon2 is installed in. DosBOX runs most Dos-programs. I think it would run Betrayal at Krondor, suberb, once commercial but nowadays free rpg too. Or so I wish... I never completed it. Two hard-drive formats, one new computer, one crash... :-(

Old 16-10-2004, 11:05 AM   #47
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

:blink:

I've never even heard of that method of running DOSBox before.

Nice of you to tell us of a new way to run our favourite games k:
Old 18-10-2004, 02:58 PM   #48
Endop

Well, Beast58 had some problems and I wrote down how I have used DosBOX... If there is an easier way, I would be quite interested! Any way, I might download and try original SC2 to see the beginning movie (is there one?)... Also, if Ur-Quan Masters (the remake) doesn't have ending (I'm not sure as I haven't finished even it yet) I might have to go through the game with the original SC2 too.

Are there many out-game sequences in SC2? Like ending movies, or something in the beginning?

Old 21-10-2004, 05:15 AM   #49

so there's no way to get sound in this game?

Old 24-10-2004, 02:54 AM   #50
Tempesta

Hello,

I downloaded DOSBox to work with my original Star Control 2. The game works and the sound works, but every time I go to another screen within the game, I get strange colors..... it happens in Super Melee as well as in the full game. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, what settings can I tweak in DOSBox?

Thanks!