Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #171
Ironvortex
Default oldschool

This game is so Oldschool... I LOVE IT !

Old 21-04-2009, 03:06 PM   #172
Ironlion
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironvortex View Post
This game is so Oldschool... I LOVE IT !
It truly is a wonderful game, astonishingly complete, too, in just how detailed it is. plus making pizzas is fun.

A bit of advice: Never become an arms dealer...yes, you get rich, but its almost like cheating. the game is less fun at that point.
Ironlion is offline                         Send a private message to Ironlion
Old 24-04-2009, 04:23 AM   #173
red_avatar
Administrator

Yes, it's easy to make a load of money like that.

I love Pizza Tycoon but I do admit it's a bit unbalanced in areas. For example, your restaurant really needs to meet a certain level before any people will come in. This mostly means that you need to properly decorate your restaurant which is not cheap at all. Oddly enough, people are more fussy about the décor than the actual food. You can buy cheap ingredients and your pizzas will still sell well.

Another odd thing, is how the game calculates the qualities of a pizza. I wrote down some recipes only to discover that, when I replayed the game half a year later, the same recipes no longer worked. Suddenly my excellent pizza was barely mediocre!

red_avatar is offline                         Send a private message to red_avatar
Old 24-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #174
Ironlion
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_avatar View Post
Yes, it's easy to make a load of money like that.

I love Pizza Tycoon but I do admit it's a bit unbalanced in areas. For example, your restaurant really needs to meet a certain level before any people will come in. This mostly means that you need to properly decorate your restaurant which is not cheap at all. Oddly enough, people are more fussy about the décor than the actual food. You can buy cheap ingredients and your pizzas will still sell well.

Another odd thing, is how the game calculates the qualities of a pizza. I wrote down some recipes only to discover that, when I replayed the game half a year later, the same recipes no longer worked. Suddenly my excellent pizza was barely mediocre!
Okay well, let me offer a few tips here.

1) Don't use the cheap décor :x however, even the reasonably priced furniture can satisfy customers well enough, and ultimately it IS the pizzas that are going to bring in customers above all else.

However, even some of the pricey décor won't work for some demographics. The game assigns a value to each furniture item for each demographic (kids, teens, blue collar, white collar, businesspeople, and seniors), and this value determines how much they like that item. IMO this is somewhat arbitrary and not quite intuitive. If you want an reference This Website lists the customer ratings for each item.

You can't go wrong with the Small & Sunny collection, for a limited budget. I wouldn't ever go cheaper than that.

2) Different pizzas score different ratings with different customers, in different markets... these can change with time, and are different for every game. Check market research to see what that group likes, then try to match the pizza's flavours to that customer. Also, the type of zone (residential, commercial, leisure) matters in what customers look for. You will always need to have at least 3-4 standard recipes (with a 95%+ imitation score) to satisfy your customers.

There are two different scores for pizza really.. the judges' scores
reflect different aspects of your pizza- and each one has a different priority- satisfyingness, trendiness, sophistication, normality, and somehow asthetics (or balance, its hard to say). This score gives you a clue how well the pizza will be recieved by the public. (Btw, there is a method you can't go wrong with: Just pile on a good variety of ingredients, especially fatty ones, until its something like 2000+ calories. This will go over well with most customers; just don't make it so expensive that nobody will be able to afford it.)

There is a second score, and that is that pizzas score for your restaurant. That reflects how much your customers like it, and that is a reflection of: percieved value (price vs. calories), quality (combining staff skill, oven skill, and ingredient quality), and how much they like it- based on the particular tastes of their demographic, and its trendiness, sophistication, and normalcy.

3) Pricing. Customers will only buy pizzas if they think its a fair price. for your basic Marghertia, Napolitana, etc. that only cost $1.50-2.00 to make, don't go over $10 at the beginning, and even better, go for 8 or 9. This will really bring customers in. Once your restaurant is really popular and you're keeping the tables full all day, then you can get away with raising the price for them. Advertising will allow you to charge a bit more for pizzas too.

5) Ingredient quality. This is a particularly curious issue... everyone appreciates a quality pizza, and that requires starting with good ingredients. But that doesn't mean you have to buy the best. At the beginning, you can just by the mediocre ingredients, from suppliers with the 'brown star'. The cheapest ingredients will not make great pizzas, and will not keep long in storage either. In the beginning of the game, you need to develop a good reputation before you really benefit from very high quality pizzas. There's no need to buy uber ingredients, unless you're trying to cater to upper-class people right off the bat.

6) Customer queries: clicking on people in your restaurants will allow them to give you feedback, but remember, they always either like it or complain about something. The fact that they're complaining doesn't mean its bad, it could mean that what they're complaining about is just the part of your restaurant that is the "least good", if that makes sense. That is to say, your furniture ratings could be just fine, but it is lower than your pizza ratings, etc. Also, it could just be that demographic expects something a little different.

7) Beginning the game: Choosing someone young is a good idea. Don't worry about the money they have, you'll likely be taking out 2-3 loans to get your first restaurant off the ground, and you'll be okay as long as you watch your other expenses. The only stats that matter for a human character are age, popularity, energy, charisma, health, dexterity, courage, and personality. You won't need cookery or intelligence, as you will be using your own skills in both (not your character's) to get by in the game.

-courage and dexterity mostly affect your...shadier dealings. if you don't plan on getting involved much with the darker side of the game, these don't matter.

Age is how fast your health regenerates (when you go on vacation).

Energy reflects how much you can do in a day, and how early you have to call it a day. Pick someone with more and you'll get more done in one day.

Charisma and personality reflect how well you'll do in business negotiations, and how positive random events will end up being.

Popularity definitely helps you bring people into your restaurants, and will help out the speed with which you get better deals from venders and such.

Ultimately those four stats are MOST important for your character: energy, personality, charisma and popularity. The others are more relevant to the Mafia side of things.

A good, young character with great all-around stats is Elvis Bailey. You'll be able to conquer the world with that character.
Ironlion is offline                         Send a private message to Ironlion
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #175
PieAir2

I have a problem with the warehouses in the game. For some reason, I am not able to buy anything from my warehouse. I can open the pages of the various suppliers, but when I click on an ingredient that I want to buy, nothing happens. Can anyone help me?

Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 AM   #176
Default Vacation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlion View Post
Okay well, let me offer a few tips here.

1) Don't use the cheap décor :x however, even the reasonably priced furniture can satisfy customers well enough, and ultimately it IS the pizzas that are going to bring in customers above all else.

However, even some of the pricey décor won't work for some demographics. The game assigns a value to each furniture item for each demographic (kids, teens, blue collar, white collar, businesspeople, and seniors), and this value determines how much they like that item. IMO this is somewhat arbitrary and not quite intuitive. If you want an reference This Website lists the customer ratings for each item.

You can't go wrong with the Small & Sunny collection, for a limited budget. I wouldn't ever go cheaper than that.

2) Different pizzas score different ratings with different customers, in different markets... these can change with time, and are different for every game. Check market research to see what that group likes, then try to match the pizza's flavours to that customer. Also, the type of zone (residential, commercial, leisure) matters in what customers look for. You will always need to have at least 3-4 standard recipes (with a 95%+ imitation score) to satisfy your customers.

There are two different scores for pizza really.. the judges' scores
reflect different aspects of your pizza- and each one has a different priority- satisfyingness, trendiness, sophistication, normality, and somehow asthetics (or balance, its hard to say). This score gives you a clue how well the pizza will be recieved by the public. (Btw, there is a method you can't go wrong with: Just pile on a good variety of ingredients, especially fatty ones, until its something like 2000+ calories. This will go over well with most customers; just don't make it so expensive that nobody will be able to afford it.)

There is a second score, and that is that pizzas score for your restaurant. That reflects how much your customers like it, and that is a reflection of: percieved value (price vs. calories), quality (combining staff skill, oven skill, and ingredient quality), and how much they like it- based on the particular tastes of their demographic, and its trendiness, sophistication, and normalcy.

3) Pricing. Customers will only buy pizzas if they think its a fair price. for your basic Marghertia, Napolitana, etc. that only cost $1.50-2.00 to make, don't go over $10 at the beginning, and even better, go for 8 or 9. This will really bring customers in. Once your restaurant is really popular and you're keeping the tables full all day, then you can get away with raising the price for them. Advertising will allow you to charge a bit more for pizzas too.

5) Ingredient quality. This is a particularly curious issue... everyone appreciates a quality pizza, and that requires starting with good ingredients. But that doesn't mean you have to buy the best. At the beginning, you can just by the mediocre ingredients, from suppliers with the 'brown star'. The cheapest ingredients will not make great pizzas, and will not keep long in storage either. In the beginning of the game, you need to develop a good reputation before you really benefit from very high quality pizzas. There's no need to buy uber ingredients, unless you're trying to cater to upper-class people right off the bat.

6) Customer queries: clicking on people in your restaurants will allow them to give you feedback, but remember, they always either like it or complain about something. The fact that they're complaining doesn't mean its bad, it could mean that what they're complaining about is just the part of your restaurant that is the "least good", if that makes sense. That is to say, your furniture ratings could be just fine, but it is lower than your pizza ratings, etc. Also, it could just be that demographic expects something a little different.

7) Beginning the game: Choosing someone young is a good idea. Don't worry about the money they have, you'll likely be taking out 2-3 loans to get your first restaurant off the ground, and you'll be okay as long as you watch your other expenses. The only stats that matter for a human character are age, popularity, energy, charisma, health, dexterity, courage, and personality. You won't need cookery or intelligence, as you will be using your own skills in both (not your character's) to get by in the game.

-courage and dexterity mostly affect your...shadier dealings. if you don't plan on getting involved much with the darker side of the game, these don't matter.

Age is how fast your health regenerates (when you go on vacation).

Energy reflects how much you can do in a day, and how early you have to call it a day. Pick someone with more and you'll get more done in one day.

Charisma and personality reflect how well you'll do in business negotiations, and how positive random events will end up being.

Popularity definitely helps you bring people into your restaurants, and will help out the speed with which you get better deals from venders and such.

Ultimately those four stats are MOST important for your character: energy, personality, charisma and popularity. The others are more relevant to the Mafia side of things.

A good, young character with great all-around stats is Elvis Bailey. You'll be able to conquer the world with that character.

How do I take vacation??

Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #177
leeharveyosmond

Default travel difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyad View Post
Hi,

I'm encountering a really weird behavior - I am only able to select the city once at the beginning of the game. When I try to travel later on, the game only charges me for the flight but never actually opens another city.

Do you guys know why can that be?

I'm having the exact same problem.
leeharveyosmond is offline                         Send a private message to leeharveyosmond
Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #178
leeharveyosmond

Default Travel Difficulties

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyad View Post
Hi,

I'm encountering a really weird behavior - I am only able to select the city once at the beginning of the game. When I try to travel later on, the game only charges me for the flight but never actually opens another city.

Do you guys know why can that be?
Actually forget what I just said. You just have to click on the box that says how much the flight is.
leeharveyosmond is offline                         Send a private message to leeharveyosmond
Old 11-05-2009, 05:56 PM   #179
Alhander
Default Standard recipes

Hello! I am looking for standard recipes everywhere and i can't find them. Does anybody know where to get them? Thanks for help.

Old 14-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #180
anycolourfloyd

hmm, i think the version of the game from this site has a bug?

every time the day changes, my money changes too. just randomly. up or down. seems to work on a cycle though, and i think the various money values i can get are the starting money of each character.

on like every 7 (or 14th or something) day i go back to what my money was at the end of day 1.

help pleeeeease