Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
G Mann

Default Trying to run Discworld II on Windows 7

I downloaded this from Classic Gaming Presents. I click on the game's startup icon, it opens up in DOSbox 0.74 (which I have on my computer), fullscreen, but the colours aren't all right. Rincewind is multi-coloured instead of what he should. When I press the windows button on my keyboard, it goes back to my desktop and the game plays in a small window (my desktop resolution is 1280 x 1024). The colours are now normal, but I want to play it in full screen, not a tiny little window.
G Mann is offline                         Send a private message to G Mann
Old 30-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Content obtained/downloaded from 3rd parties not affiliated with this website can not be assisted with. May I recommend that you try something which we can help you with?
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 30-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

First, we can't help with the copy you got from CGP. They're a scam site and we're not paying them to find out what they messed up with whatever they supplied in their custom installer.
Their current TOS page is trying to hide it with clever wording, but they charged you for download of an illegal copy of the game. Here's what it used to say: http://web.archive.org/web/200801201....com/Terms.htm
Do try to get a refund.

Second, you're better off setting up the game yourself.
To begin with, get DOSBox: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosb...r.exe/download
Then get Discworld II from our ISO Cellar: http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?ur...ad.php?t=17522
Alternatively, you can find a CD-Rip at HOTUD: http://hotud.org/component/content/a...dventure/20005
Yes, those technically are illegal copies - nobody is selling legit copies of it anywhere and no technical support is available; in our book it makes the game OK to share as long as nobody is trying to make a profit on that activity.

Next thing is a tutorial on setting this thing up.
Mine goes into detailed explanation, but was written for XP - some things have changed in Vista and 7. http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=14406
DOSRaider made one for Win7 specifically: http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22241
Read those two, and if you have any questions how to run the game after that we'll happily answer each and every one of them until you're happily playing the game.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards

Last edited by The Fifth Horseman; 30-08-2011 at 07:05 PM.
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 30-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
G Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Do try to get a refund.
How? Are they likely to refund me? I did buy Discworld 1 from them a year ago and it was fine. Bascially, the only problem I'm having is that colours are fine when in a 640x480 window, but when you go to fullscreen, some things become multicoloured. What do you think the problem here is?
Old 30-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Mann View Post
How? Are they likely to refund me?
It's either that or report them as fraud. Up to you, altough in your place I wouldn't let them get away with the money either way.
Quote:
I did buy Discworld 1 from them a year ago and it was fine.
You mean you bought their fucked up installer which came with a free copy of DOSBox and a free pirated copy of the game. You could have gotten the game for free from our ISO Cellar or at HOTUD.org and set it up yourself for $4.99 cheaper.
Quote:
Bascially, the only problem I'm having is that colours are fine when in a 640x480 window, but when you go to fullscreen, some things become multicoloured. What do you think the problem here is?
Their installer contains a copy of DOSBox (which for all we know may have been modified compared to the official build), a config file with unknown contents AND a copy of the game from an unknown source (which also may have been hacked in some fashion for all we know). ANY of those may be the cause alone or combined with the others.

If you want tech support for the copy you've gotten from them, ask them for help. Their most likely answer will be to re-download the game from them - and, from what I've read before they removed the customer feedback section, pay for the installer again in the process. There were people they conned into paying for the same game three or four times over.

The most certain way to solve the problems you have is to start from scratch like I described - get DOSBox directly from the source, get a clean copy of the game and start from there. At that point you have DOSBox with the default configuration - ie the proper starting point for checking whether the game operates normally or not. If it doesn't, then you have a proper base configuration to start making changes to in order to fix any issues the game may be exhibiting.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 31-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
G Mann

Right. Should I just simply email them saying it doesn't work and I want my money back? But then won't they just fob me off saying I need to reinstall it or whatever? I payed using my Paypal balance (not my actual credit card) and it was £5, which isn't exactly enough to lose sleep over. What would you do? Of course, I know you'd never be stupid for fall for something like this, ha ha ha. Do you think I should file a report on the Office of Fair Trading's site? If many other people have been ripped off, how come the site's still going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
You could have gotten the game for free from our ISO Cellar or at HOTUD.org and set it up yourself for $4.99 cheaper.
With those links you gave me, with the ISO cellar one the original download is gone so someone made their own clone download, this requires downloading 2 dozen files one by one and having to wait 3 minutes before loading each one (unless I pay for premium service from the download site), so that's just brilliant. And as for the CD-rip at HOTUD, that didn't seem to be able to even start downloading last night.

Last edited by G Mann; 31-08-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #7
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Quote:
this requires downloading 2 dozen files one by one and having to wait 3 minutes before loading each one (unless I pay for premium service from the download site), so that's just brilliant.
Do you have so little time or patience left to download those parts? That's a free hosting service, what do you expect?
Of course you can always pay some scam site money instead, to give you a version that doesn't even want to work correctly.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 01-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Or you could use the JDownloader program like the little box suggests in the ISO Forum. Copy the link into it and bam it does all the work for you.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
G Mann

Well, I've managed to get my money back (filed a Paypal dispute, 10 minutes later I got a refund)

How come their site is still going though, if many people have been ripped off by them?

I'm currently in the process of downloading the files from Ermuli's link here http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?ur...ad.php?t=17522 using jdownloaded (thanks for telling me about that, DarthHelmet)

Don't know what I'll have to do once they're all downloaded yet.

Can anyone vouch that this will work? I've noticed it's only 700MB instead of 900MB like the download I got from Classicgamingpresents was.

Last edited by G Mann; 01-09-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Well, I've managed to get my money back (filed a Paypal dispute, 10 minutes later I got a refund)

How come their site is still going though, if many people have been ripped off by them?

I'm currently in the process of downloading the files from Ermuli's link here http://www.abandonia.com/en/forum?ur...ad.php?t=17522 using jdownloaded (thanks for telling me about that, DarthHelmet)

Don't know what I'll have to do once they're all downloaded yet.

Can anyone vouch that this will work? I've noticed it's only 700MB instead of 900MB like the download I got from Classicgamingpresents was.
My guess is that the 3rd party website you are referring to might have added something to it, or they did not compress it as well as we can.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak