Go Back   Forums > Updates Workflow > Request Games > Freeware Games
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-05-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
Necromagus
Forum hobbit

Default Another MasterMind For Windows

Right, I know most abandonware stuff is DOS only, but I'm looking for a game that was designed specially for Windows 3.1. I've spent the past two weeks restoring an old 486 that came with a bunch of floppies, including the old Windows version, so I'm looking to find some old favourites of mine to play on it.

One of them is a puzzle/strategy game that put you into the shoes of a taxi driver. The story behind the game was that somewhere in the future, all roads are replaced by interchangable panels that are managed by some central computer, that makes sure taxis always take the shortest possible route from start to finish. Of course this greatly stifles your ability to make a profit, so you've been given a system that allows you temporary control to arrange the panels to your liking.

In each level you have limited time before your taxi starts driving, and once you do you can't stop. If you make it to the finish you're payed for the distance you've driven, but if you crash it's game over. You can use the money to buy fuel or upgrades such as shocks or snow tires, which you will need later in the game when you start encountering more hazardous roads.
Necromagus is offline                         Send a private message to Necromagus
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #2
Necromagus
Forum hobbit

Right, found a lot of info, yet I can't find any site that still has the game. The company is long defunct, as is their AOL-hosted website :tai:

Name: Street Shuffle (sometimes StreetShuffle)
Company: MaxWare
Produced by: Max Eissler
Year: 1994
Screenshot:

(It really doesn't help that there's also a Bruce Springsteen album with 'Street Shuffle' in the title...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Necromagus is offline                         Send a private message to Necromagus
Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

and you want us to.... do what?

I mean "Google is your friend" other than that there is very little we can do. There is a chance however that some of us actually has the game, but not that much.

Tell you what... If you find this game, pack it up, write a nice review and upload it to us, that way we will have it

Good luck dude! k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Mmm... I've only found this $8 cdrom which apparantly has the game on it. Other then that, the game's pretty much dissapeared of the internet. Either that, or my google-fu is getting rusty
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 11-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
Necromagus
Forum hobbit

~Edit: Nvm, found it on Link removed...David

It took me another 30 minutes to get it working fully, since there was a .dll file missing, and the self-extracting .exe replaced the game's .exe in the game folder. In the end I managed to replace both with files from an old shareware version that only had one randomly generated map. Thanks for your help anyway

Anyway, if the site's admins are interested in having Windows 3.1 games on their site, I'll be happy to review and upload a few, starting with this one...
Old 11-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Data
retired

ah just found the game
it's is on one of recenly acquired games collections CD's of '97
But glad you found it. Saves me the trouble of inserting the cdrom :0
Old 11-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #7
Necromagus
Forum hobbit

Well, to use the self-extracting .exe found on that site, you'll need to change its name to something like streetinstall.exe so that it won't skip adding the game's .exe, and you'll need to download vb300.dll. Still, the version I've found isn't perfect. For some reason I can play normally, but when I save a game and restore it later the game reverts back to randomly generated maps. I'm still working on a way to fix this.

~Edit: Also fixed that problem. Appearantly the archive required a default.stg as well as a default .stg file. The second file was also missing in the selfextracting archive. The game appearantly automatically generated that file as a 0kb file that appeared to be completely empty in notepad. I solved the problem by copying the file without the space in the filename and adding the missing ' '.

So I now have a completely hassle-free and functioning version of the game. My offer to repackage, screenshot and review it, as well as any other Windows 3.1 games for this site still stands.
Old 13-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Moved from FoN.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Necromagus @ May 11 2006, 05:20 PM) [snapback]230043[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Link removed...David
[/b]
There are some free games in this link, but the site seems not so reliable.
What do you think?
Old 14-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

As long as it doesn't contain oldwarez, it's okay.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 14-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #10
Dave
Mandolin & Spaghetti Soldier

Keen Dreams (aka Commander Keen 3.5) (1991) id Software, Inc.
Freeware

Math Rescue (1992) by Apogee Software, Ltd.
Sold here: http://www.3drealms.com/math/index.html

I'll hide the link, btw I still have it to check the other titles.

Edit: I don't have much time in these days.
(Link sent )