Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-12-2018, 01:41 AM   #1
Jessup

Default Subspace Continuum/Trench Wars

So I ran across Abandonia randomly and thought to myself why not join and share a link to a great old game I'm a member of. It sort of is slowly dying as a game and that shouldn't be happening as it is a true classic. The game is called Continuum/formally known as "Subspace". I play in one of the last active zones Called Trench Wars. It is a 2d MMO spaceship game that has amazingly fun gaming and ship control dynamics.

It really should be more popular but because we are in a state of abandonware and the new mmo's with all their bells and whistles that catch peoples eye it isn't as popular as it once was. If you enjoy spaceship battles and squading and other team events this game can be REALLY fun. It has been around since 1995 and to this day still continues being 100% player funded and player controlled. Their is an incredible story behind it and 10's of 1000's of players have come and gone. 1000's still play but not at the same time. Many log in for bits these days to just have fun and remember the glory days but..... there is still action and still leagues and squads that battle each other.

The game is ALWAYS 100% free. To download it go here

http://subspace-continuum.com/

or you can download it here at

http://www.trenchwars.org/

This is the most popular zone right now.

YouTube link to see game dynamics here..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdS5RQyP1X8

There are some amazing pilots. Do not get frustrated. Takes some practice but I'm sure some here could be legends if they put in the time.

Speaking of thanks for your time and any questions or discussions I'm happy to respond to here. -Jessup

Last edited by Jessup; 23-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Jessup is offline                         Send a private message to Jessup
Old 23-12-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Original Post

Quote:

So I ran across Abandonia randomly and thought to myself why not join and share a link to a great old game I'm a member of. It sort of is slowly dying as a game and that shouldn't be happening as it is a true classic. The game is called Continuum/formally known as "Subspace".
Quote:

It really should be more popular but because we are in a state of abandonware and the new mmo's with all their bells and whistles that catch peoples eye it isn't as popular as it once was.
Quote:

Their is an incredible story behind it and 10's of 1000's of players have come and gone. 1000's still play but not at the same time. Many log in for bits these days to just have fun and remember the glory days but..... there is still action and still leagues and squads that battle each other.
The game seems to have nice graphics!

I’ve seen the screenshots of the game on Mobygames.

By the way, unfortunately this current tendency is to prioritize graphics and special effects and sonorous be it in games, movies, animation, music...

In this way, unfortunately, content quality, storyline, coherence, script, etc. have fallen into the background. Those explosive uninterrupted actions have become top priority... Oh, and also a lot of violence, blood and explosions complete the depressing scenery.

Just note that games with perfect graphics and pure action that require only dexterity and quick reflexes and few dialogues make the players a bit “brainless”... Torchlight, Diablo, Demon Souls, Dark Souls, etc. vs. Drakensang, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.

Is that the reason why the Adventure Game genre is decadent and only exist as Indie games now?
Old 24-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
Jessup

Hi Mystvan,

Yes, you are correct about how games these days are all about the graphics and pretty packaging so often. Games like Red Dead Redemption 2 are quite impressive and I don't want to take anything away from them but the actual gameplay is sporadic. I suppose these days games with an in depth story and cinematic qualities are all the rave but there is something to be said about the pureness of older games.

Continuum is in my opinion as pure a mmo as you can get. Straight up player vs player gaming. When you add multiple ships and make teams it creates amazing dynamics too with lots of strategy and skill required.

It is so basic.. just the old DOOM style controls with arrows and using shift to achieve "thrust" to go faster. I always describe it to people as Asteroids but where you kill each other instead of rocks heheh.

I just love the older games as there really is nothing hidden in the experience. Simple, straight forward player vs player gaming at its finest. Subspace/Continuum is definitely one of these. 2d top down pure mmo competitive game play. We have eliminations and squad duels and sporting events like hockey in space ships. Mario player vs player and other fun variants too such as Bugs vs Humans (basically game of tag by being killed) The basing is great too. Capture the flag team events based on time. 1st team to hold flag for set time frame wins. 8 ships to use and balance each with their strong suits. Anyways .. thx for replying. I hope some of you all here decide to check it out. Happy to help anyone who needs it if they are interested. Happy holidays!
Jessup is offline                         Send a private message to Jessup
Old 24-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #4
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Thumbs up

Original Post

OK. Merry Christmas!