Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

Well I have to vote for Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol here

Quote:
Originally posted by underdogs review
One of the very best shareware RPGs ever made, with very high production value and longevity that rivals the best commercial games, Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol is an epic fantasy RPG in the best dungeon hack tradition set by Rogue. Mordor introduces a user-friendly interface and above average graphics without sacrificing hundreds of hours of gameplay. Despite the name, the game is not based on Tolkien's classic Lords of the Ring novels but an entirely original gameworld, populated by strange monsters and races that AD&D fans will find refreshingly unique. In addition to familiar character classes (called "guilds" in the game) such as warriors and wizards, you can play as scavenger (cross between a warrior and a thief), nomad (quick learner), or even villain (fallen thief). The same goes for races: you can choose to be a morloch (cousin of trolls) or osiri (distant relative of elves) in addition to human, ogres, trolls, and other typical AD&D races. Choose your alignment as Good, Neutral, or Evil, then off you go to the dungeon of Mordor for fame and fortune.

Despite what the lengthy background reading in the manual would have you believe, Mordor is a dungeon hack where the plot takes a (very far) back seat. The game can be summed up as: go down into the dungeon, kill monsters, search the corpses, find treasures, go back to town to sell treasures and heal, go down into the dungeon again (deeper this time). It may sound very boring to some, but as they say, the devil is in thedetails... and Mordor has got enough details to put Diablo to shame. There are dozens of spells, hundreds of monsters, items, and many detailed (bordering on anal) features Rogue fans have come to expect from Roguelike descendants. You can, for example, "bind" monsters to be your companions by casting the charm spell on them. Once charmed, these monsters will be your allies in battles, and you can sell them in the town of Marlith once you go back to the surface to heal and replenish supplies. The game literally offers *hundreds* of hours of gameplay, especially if you want to explore every nook and cranny in Mordor. If you are a Rogue or NetHack fan who wants to try a faithful Roguelike with good graphics, look no further than Mordor. It may not be the most charming or original game, but it's still one of the best dungeon hacks that deserves a lot more attention. Two thumbs up!
if you want to know more, well then... -> points to www button in my profile
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 11-10-2004, 09:02 PM   #12
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

My problem with Mordor is that Ialways end up dying without enough money on me for reincarnation so I end up permanantly dead last time this happened I just created lots of new characters, transfered the gold to my main person and deleting the characters until I had enough money, I did this once before getting bored when he died again.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 11-10-2004, 11:08 PM   #13
Nosam

Lightbulb

I loved Lands of Lore.......those were the days! Throne of Chaos(the first one) was the best one in my opinion.
Nosam is offline                         Send a private message to Nosam
Old 12-10-2004, 06:07 AM   #14
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

The best RPG I ever played is Chrono Trigger.

'nuff said.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #15
Braindead
Abandonia Homie

Send a message via ICQ to Braindead Send a message via MSN to Braindead

Quote:
Originally posted by R Havell@Oct 11 2004, 09:02 PM
My problem with Mordor is that Ialways end up dying without enough money on me for reincarnation so I end up permanantly dead last time this happened I just created lots of new characters, transfered the gold to my main person and deleting the characters until I had enough money, I did this once before getting bored when he died again.
Well it ain't an easy game, especially in the early stages, best is to start with a fighter with high strength for your first character...

You made sure a hard way of reviving your character.... If you want to cheat there are easier ways you know, you could just 've used an editor....
Braindead is offline                         Send a private message to Braindead
Old 12-10-2004, 02:26 PM   #16
FreeFreddy

Quote:
Originally posted by Nosam@Oct 12 2004, 01:08 AM
I loved Lands of Lore.......those were the days! Throne of Chaos(the first one) was the best one in my opinion.
Part II is also pretty good. Especially the digital (not midi) music there is sometimes awesome, especially at later levels, when you enter those icy mountains (don't remember the name now), the place that looks like an alien UFO fortress (great music there ) and Belial's Living Place.
Though I still have to play the third part and buy it at E-Bay. :P

Old 12-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #17
Stroggy
Home Sweet Abandonia

I think the music was, as always made by frank klepacki
perhaps you can listen to a few tunes on his website: http://www.frankklepacki.com
Old 12-10-2004, 03:00 PM   #18
FreeFreddy

Not bad, the music there...

Old 12-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #19
Fawfulhasfury
Home Sweet Abandonia

call me crazy
but
paper mario 1 and 2
super mario rpg
mario and luigi superstar saga
Fawfulhasfury is offline                         Send a private message to Fawfulhasfury
Old 12-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #20
aaberg
Game Wizzard

I don't know why, but I played "Might & Magic VII - Blood and Honor" a lot, and liked it very much. I have played some of the other Might & Magic games, and I have hated them!! But number 7 I liked.
aaberg is offline                         Send a private message to aaberg
Closed Thread