Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting > General compatibility fixes
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 31-12-2004, 03:45 AM   #21
Rogue
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Borodin+Dec 30 2004, 06:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Dec 30 2004, 06:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FreeFreddy@Aug 19 2004, 09:02 AM
Also DosBox emulates sound too, like old Soundblaster standards on new soundcards.
Under Windows XP old Dos-games cannot play the sounds or music based on this standard, just the General Midi-music, like Roland Rap-10.
Also DosBox emulates sound too, like old Soundblaster standards on new soundcards.

I've never been able to get any sound using DOSBox. A good example is Darklands. It has configuration options for Roland, Soundblaster (early and late), AdLib, etc, but none of them seem to do anything through DOSBox--although I'm using a SoundBlaster Audigy card in Windows XP. [/b][/quote]
DosBox emulates SoundBlaster, so when you selecting the game in DosBox, default should be: Sound Blaster, I/O address to 220, IRQ to 7 and DMA to 1.

Dos game in DOSBox sees only emulated soundblaster, no mather what card are you having.
Rogue is offline                         Send a private message to Rogue
Old 31-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #22
Borodin
Home Sweet Abandonia

That seems to have done it: thanks! I had to choose Soundblaster (early), since Soundblaster (later) for some reason brought the menu in the game to the fore, froze it, and left me hanging. But now, with Soundblaster (early) chosen and the settings you mentioned, it works.
Borodin is offline                         Send a private message to Borodin
Old 17-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #23
BUFFY
Game freak

Ok its going to look like i am putting this picture all over the place, but the same questions regarding DosBox are everywhere, ive make a topic which covers the basic steps for running DosBox

DosBox Picture Example

This topic shows the easy way to play games, in a graphic. And yes, to my knowledge you have to do it every time (just drag and drop executables). I still think there needs to be a easy-to-find place for a graphic similar (no doubt it can look better!) to mine.

Hope this is helpful and not too overdone
BUFFY is offline                         Send a private message to BUFFY
Old 17-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #24
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

No, this is just what we needed, Buffy. Thanks! Btw, luv your show
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 17-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #25
xoopx
Hero Gamer

i understand all the commandline and config stuff for dosbox, but i use d-fend most of the time..

because its 200000000000000x quicker to open games and easier to set up each game with different configs

SO GET IT!!!
xoopx is offline                         Send a private message to xoopx
Old 17-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #26
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

I use the command line. And when I'll have a particularly strong desire to make launching one game or another, I will do what I did on my old 486 - create a number of BAT files launching each game after typing a short command.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 28-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #27
easyjacksn
Lurker

I'm curious why Dosbox is used so much. I've never used it myself - I usually just have a partition on my HDD with DOS 6.22 installed.

Is it somehow better than an actual DOS partition?
easyjacksn is offline                         Send a private message to easyjacksn
Old 28-01-2005, 10:29 AM   #28
mouse31e
Games Master

Quote:
Originally posted by easyjacksn@Jan 28 2005, 10:55 AM
I'm curious why Dosbox is used so much. I've never used it myself - I usually just have a partition on my HDD with DOS 6.22 installed.

Is it somehow better than an actual DOS partition?
It's far more convenient than a separate partition for those who are not experienced enough to create partitions but want to play the games or those, like myself, that just can't be bothered to create a new partition. Also, I don't have DOS 6.22 and I can't be bothered to buy it when I can use DosBox for free.

Basically, it just makes it very easy to play Dos games under later versions of windows with minimum effort!
mouse31e is offline                         Send a private message to mouse31e
Old 28-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #29
Data
retired

It's quite simple.
you don't have reboot your pc to play the games.
you can instantly exit them (ctrl-f9)
and you have control about the speed.

Rebooting for just playing a game is sometimes not worth the effort
Old 29-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #30
blazer-glory
Forum hobbit

Once Ive installed it where do I install the games and how do I load them?
blazer-glory is offline                         Send a private message to blazer-glory