Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Monkey Island has a great story... Monkey II, too.
Well, I liked so much also Monkey III and IV...
Old 23-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
BranjoHello
Skilled WormMaster

From all games in the list I played only GTA: SA so I won't judge other games, maybe GTA: SA doesn't have the best story but it has very interesting characters so it deserves some points for that since characters are important for the story.

This games have good story and are on my top 10 list:
1. Max Payne
2. Mafia
3. Heroes of Might & Magic 4
4. Warcraft III
5. Undying
6. Arcanum
7. The Secret of Monkey Island
8. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
9. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
10. Worms 4 ()

P.S. list will be edited if changes occure

Last edited by BranjoHello; 23-04-2008 at 03:41 PM.
BranjoHello is offline                         Send a private message to BranjoHello
Old 23-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #13
12turtle12
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood-Pigggy View Post
Fallout 2 did NOT have an "excellent story", and your comment about the majority of fans finding FO2 the best is EXTREMELY incorrect, go to No Mutants Allowed and just look at all the polls asking which one was the best.

FO2 is pretty much only saved by its gameplay and the fact that the writing wasn't bad at all, there were still as many choices (more). Hell FO2 was better conceptually, but at the end it doesn't satisfy like FO1.

Hell you even agreed on Sins of the Fathers which came out at the same time, impossible, retarded that you would say that FO2 did well for '97.

No way Fallout 2 is a good story. Not even the most seasoned fan would say that. I can list the ways FO2's story sucks.

3. No extensive backstory on the Enclave and the president like the there was in FO1 between the Master and the mutants. IE, no connecting and relate able characters like Harold around to connect you to the villain personally.
I'll just start by saying I'm not going to argue the Ultima/FF idea *at all* - you like yours, I like mine :P

NMA is ... well, there's too much to write here. Short story is, NMA is a bunch of 13 year olds who still talk about Fallout like it's relevant, and it may be the biggest 'fallout fansite', but it's not the best. A LOT of their content was taken from DuckandCover.cx - which is in itself another story which you can find on Wikia - too much to write. NMA is just bogus, plain and simple. Most of their old and contributing members were ripped off of other fansites, and they just happen to be the fat Jabba the Hutt of the group.

I think we can agree on *most* of what you said about Fallout 1 and 2 - 1's story is better, 2 has much better gameplay, etc, but the story sucks? No, sir.

I said nothing about SotF - I said I had it illegally downl...um....legally purchased and sitting on my desktop in RAR format waiting to be played.

The only part I fully agree with you on is everything you said about the oil platform section of Fallout 2 - uninspired about sums it up.
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 25-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazgotsaved View Post
I'll just start by saying I'm not going to argue the Ultima/FF idea *at all* - you like yours, I like mine :P

NMA is ... well, there's too much to write here. Short story is, NMA is a bunch of 13 year olds who still talk about Fallout like it's relevant, and it may be the biggest 'fallout fansite', but it's not the best. A LOT of their content was taken from DuckandCover.cx - which is in itself another story which you can find on Wikia - too much to write. NMA is just bogus, plain and simple. Most of their old and contributing members were ripped off of other fansites, and they just happen to be the fat Jabba the Hutt of the group.

I think we can agree on *most* of what you said about Fallout 1 and 2 - 1's story is better, 2 has much better gameplay, etc, but the story sucks? No, sir.

I said nothing about SotF - I said I had it illegally downl...um....legally purchased and sitting on my desktop in RAR format waiting to be played.

The only part I fully agree with you on is everything you said about the oil platform section of Fallout 2 - uninspired about sums it up.
First off, Duck and Cover is exactly what you said NMA was, you're mixing it up. NMA is the oldest fansite, the largest, and their information is not "ripped" from Duck And Cover because most of their relevant Fallout info has been around for countless years.

D&C also has a much younger community, the majority of its members hardly seem to be able to spell properly. You must be one of those cornheads who think that Bethesda is doing right with Fallout 3 and finds it fit to brainlessly side with the idiotic gaming media and jab at the NMA community every time you get the chance, I've heard your little "13 year old, Jabba The Hut" or whatever accusations before, on places filled with atrocious knuckleheads and idiots like GameFaqs or Gamespot.

One publication even went as far as to use the word "nerdcore". What the hell does that even mean? I'm astounded at how everyone is filled with complete nonsense about NMA like all they ever do is rage about FO3. They don't, you'll only see that in the news sections and in the news comments, and even then they're completely clearheaded about it.
You're typifying the ill-informed gaming gurdle, don't buy into that dumb crap.

Fallout 2's story DOES suck, it is the epitome of everything that is mediocre and generic, it infuriated me, they could have at least done something different than what they did in FO1. The dialog was still up to par (thanks to the Black Isle writers) but everything about the plot fell flat.
Also I never said that Fallout 1 had worse gameplay, it has even better gameplay. In FO2 raising your tagged skills to %100 mean nothing towards bettering your character in that regard, and raising them above %200 is just wasting skill points as at that point you're going to hit\unlock\sneak\etc. everything that the skill can possibly effect without any effort.

There are even more useless perks than in FO1, there's a considerable amount of unfinished content in FO2 (moreso than FO1), the majority of the quests are broken and completely nonsensical compared to those in FO1.
FO2 is a great game, but it's inferior in atmosphere, gameplay, story and anything else imaginable except maybe the level of content. The NPCs are largely a bunch of pathetic bumbling morons. In FO1 Dogmeat, Ian, Tycho, hell - even Katja were all balanced and extremely useful, despite the inability to really modify their equipment.

Yet in FO2 you get idiots like Marcus who sucks up bullets and then proceeds to shoot them into your back with his atrocious Big Guns skill, even if it is his primary weapon setup. Vic is a bugged retard with low AP, the wife/husband you can get are of course, worthless and Cassidy is the only NPC who seems remotely useful. Even Sulik has an inability to prevent his retarded self from using burst on any SMG until his bullets run dry, even if you're fighting a small rat and he has a god damn H&K.

It was hardly as polished, and it seemed like a mess. A mess, that while fun to play, was not in the same arena as the original.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 27-04-2008, 07:19 AM   #15
12turtle12
Game freak

if you are a member of NMA, what is your username? (PM me if you don't feel comfortable in this public setting) - and we'll continue our flame war there as I am a member of quite a few Fallout-related sites.

This *is* getting a bit out of hand....

edit - "FO2 is pretty much only saved by its gameplay and the fact that the writing wasn't bad at all, there were still as many choices (more). Hell FO2 was better conceptually, but at the end it doesn't satisfy like FO1."
- I guess I misunderstood. My apologies.

"everyone is filled with complete nonsense about NMA like all they ever do is rage about FO3. They don't, you'll only see that in the news sections and in the news comments, and even then they're completely clearheaded about it."
-They don't just rage about FO3? .... ..... ....... ok. Site is over-moderated, removing objectionable comments in news sections to The Vats. Clearheaded? Rage? ... BP, listen to yourself, buddy.....anyway, see you @ NMA if you want.

and NMA is *only* older if you don't count Jay's original source @ turngray.com/fallout (now defunct)

edit # 163234 - heck, just read the wikia article and link around if need be

Last edited by 12turtle12; 27-04-2008 at 07:34 AM.
12turtle12 is offline                         Send a private message to 12turtle12
Old 27-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

A game with a good story??? Come on! First of all, as Blood-Piggy mentioned, they obviously can't make a distinction between a story and a presentation. If the game drags you in it doesn't hve a story already.

Here's some games with a story (and not based on a book, movie...) I'd put into the list:
The Riddle of Master Lu
The Fate of Atlantis
Case of the Rose Tattoo
11th Hour
Spycraft

But they aren't on the list (an they aren't indows based either - all the games on the list are - or did I miss something).

I mean - even some freeware games (like Tribbly's games or The White Chamber) have more stories then GTA:SA and so on. This list has nothing to do with stories - just personal prefrences of the author!
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 27-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

That list is flawed from the start. Read the very end of the last page... "Some of those stories were good, other upsetting... But every single one stuck with us in one way or another throughout the years."

It's a gaming site. It's just like a gaming magazine. They get paid to place some games on the spotlight even though they really think it's crap... So in a way, we're simply having a list of games which were at the same time not so bad and which were bestsellers. Not games who really have the "best" stories...
Old 28-04-2008, 06:50 AM   #18
Quintopotere
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
That list is flawed from the start. Read the very end of the last page... "Some of those stories were good, other upsetting... But every single one stuck with us in one way or another throughout the years."

It's a gaming site. It's just like a gaming magazine. They get paid to place some games on the spotlight even though they really think it's crap... So in a way, we're simply having a list of games which were at the same time not so bad and which were bestsellers. Not games who really have the "best" stories...
That is... we know... but we like to discuss anyway! And get really angry, too!! :mad:
Old 28-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazgotsaved View Post
if you are a member of NMA, what is your username? (PM me if you don't feel comfortable in this public setting) - and we'll continue our flame war there as I am a member of quite a few Fallout-related sites.

This *is* getting a bit out of hand....

edit - "FO2 is pretty much only saved by its gameplay and the fact that the writing wasn't bad at all, there were still as many choices (more). Hell FO2 was better conceptually, but at the end it doesn't satisfy like FO1."
- I guess I misunderstood. My apologies.

"everyone is filled with complete nonsense about NMA like all they ever do is rage about FO3. They don't, you'll only see that in the news sections and in the news comments, and even then they're completely clearheaded about it."
-They don't just rage about FO3? .... ..... ....... ok. Site is over-moderated, removing objectionable comments in news sections to The Vats. Clearheaded? Rage? ... BP, listen to yourself, buddy.....anyway, see you @ NMA if you want.

and NMA is *only* older if you don't count Jay's original source @ turngray.com/fallout (now defunct)

edit # 163234 - heck, just read the wikia article and link around if need be
It's the name same as my Last.FM account, and Wikia is about as reliable as Wikipedia which is not a lot at all.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 28-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #20
12turtle12
Game freak

fact, though - those critics that have come against wikipedia have found that it's about as reliable as "paper" encylopedias - and more frequently updated, and objectionable/false content is usually removed quite quickly.