Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 29-12-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
estrongblade

OK! I'm THRILLED that SOMEONE seems to know how to get DOSBox to work under certain applications. Here is a HUGE challenge for those of you who just like making old INTERPLAY games work under WINDOWS XP. I can sum it up in 5 words (hey-only ONE of them has MORE than ONE syllable) The 5 words are: CONQUEST OF THE NEW WORLD(CNW).
I have hit sites that claim to have the answers but FAIL miserably in their claims to have the solution. I understand the ins and outs of win95 compatability settings and the copy of CNW that I have CLAIMS to be win95 compatable. What I get is a blue window that tells me the available drives and how much RAM they all have and it asks me to choose between a Full installation and a partial installation. No matter how I set things I can't figure out how to get past this window. I've tried at least a 100 different ways to get in using DOSBox and without. Nothing has worked, including text-mode.com and 3 other so-called tutorials. Naturally, NONE of them mention the CNW WALL (as I have aptly dubbed it) and I find myself sl*%ing from tutorial page to tutorial page, seeking the 'questing beast'-like solution that eludes me as though I am some kind of Cyber 'King Pelanor' on a never ending journey to slay the Loch Ness monster.
So you think you're a PRO, do you? PROVE IT! Take up the challenge and show me how to slay the CNW WALL, SOUND N ALL! Show me that DOSBox DOES WORK. estrongblade
PS-mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl in DOSBox DOES NOT WORK HERE- NOR does mount c e, mount c f etc. etc. I continue to plug away....CNWmain.exe, mscdexnt.exe,\redir, dosx, cnwmain.exe- ALL TOTAL BUST! estrongblade

Old 29-12-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I really don't understand what is the question here.

First of all, if it's Windows 95 compatible then you should not be able to make it run under DOSBox because DOSBox only run DOS games.

Second, did you ever try VDMSound?

If i understood right, you seems to be stuck in the installation screen. Did you ever try to use a command line for the setup program, like "blablabla.exe /?"? You might happen to find some flags which would automatically set the setup program to use settings you can decide yourself by default.
Old 29-12-2004, 04:37 AM   #3
estrongblade

Yes, I have. I also attempted to use the game (Deluxe edition-16 MB RAM, 16-bit sound card,9600 BAUD or higher modem[ this has the multi-player addition] IBM or 100% compatable 486DX2/66 OR higher running DOS 5.0 OR higher, or Win 95 [BUT NOT as NATIVE APPLICATION]) in compatable 95 mode before discovering the 'NOT as NATIVE APPLICATION' disclaimer. This sent me to DOSBox. I have a recently aquired Compaq/HP that far exceeds the requirements of this game. The CNW game runs in Win 95 in true DOS w/DOS based drivers. Solutions I have come across claim to be for windows XP but I have yet to find one that works. When you click or enter on the WALL it does not respond. I admit that the problem could be that I have missed some detail in DOSBox and I continue to plug away at it aside from this issued challenge which was posted after some 12-14 hrs of looking for solutions. [ Coupled with other lengthy sessions held from Oct. to the present off and on.] I will figure it out but if anyone out there has faced the WALL then any info. would be greatly appreciated. estrongblade
estrongblade is offline                         Send a private message to estrongblade
Old 29-12-2004, 04:40 AM   #4
estrongblade

Also- I have VDM sound on standby but it is useless if I can not breach the WALL... :Titan:
estrongblade is offline                         Send a private message to estrongblade
Old 30-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
Data
retired

Interplay games in general work fine in dosbox.
Are you talking about a rip or the original version ?

As you are struggling with -ioctl and a like I presume it's a cdrom game.

If you want serious help you should provide the exact typed commands in dosbox and some information about your system.

For dosbox: type the output of mount -cd
for vdmsound: did you try supacdex ? (a free and much better mscdex for windows XP)
Old 30-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Also Estrongblade, be sure to work with the latest version of DOSBox (0.63). It might change everything.
Old 30-12-2004, 07:57 PM   #7
estrongblade

OK- I have the latest version and a tutorial on the use there of. I have not worked on the sound because I can't get out of the install phase of the operation,so I haven't been able to check or begin any sound process-I put sound in the original post because in my search for a solution to the WALL I came across several references to sound problems w/ other applications. That was when I downloaded VDM as a back-up, reasoning that I would need it when I actually got IN. If anyone out there has actually suceeded in getting IN to CNW w/DOSBox, I would appreciate a detailed account of what you did w/DOSBox programming in order to do so. Start at the beginning and tell me what you did in steps that I can cross reference w/ my tutorial. If it is human error on my part, I should easily be able to find where I goofed. If it does not work, then I will at least get an idea that something w/ my computor config or game compat. is wrong in some way. If anyone has knowledge of any computor 'tweeks' that inhibit(or assist) in making DOSBox more efficient w/strategy games, (I already know about the f8 and f12 buttons-that's in my tutorial) then I would need to know how to access the 'tweek' and what to look for-ie-Make sure that the___is turned on or off-Ck to see that ___ is enabled etc. As I am working w/ win xp, there may be something that I need that I am unaware of. Please be specific-I'm not a complete lunkhead but I am far,far from a computor geek,w/minimum programming experience. Layman's terms (ie anything that could be described w/out massive use of computor abbreviations and terms that are likely to be understood only by those who have major computor experience) should be used wherever possible,so that I can avoid adding to the confusion that I am presently under. (Can you say ESO? That COULD be the problem. ESO=(E)quipment (S)uperior to (O)perator-I am NOT ashamed-I'm just 30 years older than the average computor geek. My computor has the following attributes:XP 3200+processor;512 MB(compaq) PC 2700;DDR SD RAM Memory; 200GB at 7200 RPM;Ultra DMA Hard Drive;8x DVD + R/RW Drive W/CD Writer Capability;GE Force FX 5700LE Optima vid card w/128 MB DDR AGP 500MHZ Memory Data Rate. Please keep in mind that I copied the info. about my computor from the boxes and have only a general idea of what any of it actually DOES. I'm NOT trying to be a computor expert, I'm just trying to make an old favorite game work...
Old 30-12-2004, 08:29 PM   #8
estrongblade

Also-does anyone know why a Realtek 97 sound system might continually hum when on?Mine has 2 little desktop speakers that plug into a big square box that has a third speaker for Bass. Said box then conects to back of computor. I thought that when the sound system was ON that you should get almost complete silence except when you are actually playing music or other sound related items. Mine HUMS ALL THE TIME. I tried all manner of volume control,both advanced and basic, including experimenting w/muting some and all of the advanced options offered. I havn't been able to find any other tweeks and wondered if anyone has come across this problem w/ any sound system and solved it through tweeks or some accessable area that I am unaware of in XP. No system set up in the sound section of my control panel actually matches the 2 small speakers attached to a box(subwoofer?) and so I am on a basic 2 desktop speaker set-up. I tried the 4 speaker to subwoofer configuation and it did no good-these were the nearest 2 config settings in XP that I have. I suppose that the speaker system could be bad. If you have had that problem w/a hum and solved it by replacing your speaker system then let me know. I am understandably reluctant to replace it until I have made absolutely certain that it is the only way to fix it. I also am aware of the crossing wires thing. I have done my best to keep the speaker wires from crossing other computor wires but there is only so much one can do there-unless someone is aware of some insulation that I don't know about...anyway-as I have had 2 responses from folks that suggested sound solutions, maybe 1 of them had this experience in the past and could tell me how they solved it as an aside to the CNW WALL problem..I Hope. :help:
Old 30-12-2004, 08:35 PM   #9
estrongblade

Thumbs up

Also- I get 'newbe'-what's a 'spammer'-just curious
Old 30-12-2004, 11:53 PM   #10
estrongblade

Disregard comments about my Realtek speaker system-Less than 10 minutes after I posted the query the system croaked completely and I replaced w/ a simple 2 speaker system that works perfectly. I guess you never know what's going to happen til it does.... LOL