Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 22-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Haruka-chan
Lurker

Yeah I have a Dreamcast, there were a lot of good games for it. Shenmue, Sonic, Jet Set/Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, SEGA Rally, Grandia, Soul Calibre, Dead or Alive, Phantasy Star Online, Power Stone...

Only I think it was a little ahead of it's time in some respects. It would have been great with wireless or broadband, but instead we were stuck with 28/56k modems and a very limited amount of broadband adapters were sold in Japan.
Haruka-chan is offline                         Send a private message to Haruka-chan
Old 28-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #22
Tahtsel

One of the best gaming platforms ever, far better than Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2.
Tahtsel is offline                         Send a private message to Tahtsel
Old 28-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #23
chainsoar
Master Debater

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Jul 29 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]301876[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
most dreamcast's can't read cd-rw's, mine included. [/b]
Dreamcasts don't play CDs at all. They used a weird format called GD, don't ask me what that means because I don't remember. To get a copied CD working on the DC you have to use a hell of a lot of clever tricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosraider View Post
You click on 'Download this game'.
chainsoar is offline                         Send a private message to chainsoar
Old 28-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #24
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Aug 28 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]307383[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Jul 29 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]301876[/snapback]
Quote:
Dreamcasts don't play CDs at all. They used a weird format called GD, don't ask me what that means because I don't remember. To get a copied CD working on the DC you have to use a hell of a lot of clever tricks.
[/b][/quote]

Well, that's definately not true at all. What's right is that the cd-roms were called GDs. But the name's all what's different. You can copy every GD with the right program. Not a problem at all...!!!

And well, in my opinion it was one of the greatest platforms at the time. No, it WAS the greatest platform at its time. Most people were blinded by the holy crap of what was called the Playstation. Which had definately more games. But even more games that were simply dumb and really bad...
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 29-08-2007, 12:43 AM   #25
Tahtsel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Aug 28 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]307385[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chainsoar @ Aug 28 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]307383[/snapback]
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Jul 29 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]301876[/snapback]
Quote:
[/b][/quote]

Well, that's definately not true at all. What's right is that the cd-roms were called GDs. But the name's all what's different. You can copy every GD with the right program. Not a problem at all...!!!
[/b][/quote]

You don't just need the right program to copy a GD-ROM, common CD burners don't read GDs, so you need a special cable to connect your dreamcast to your PC, and one other thing, a GD has like 1GB of space, and as Dreamcasts can't read DVDs some heavy games have to be ripped so they can fit in a CD.
Tahtsel is offline                         Send a private message to Tahtsel
Old 29-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #26
JJXB
Pi-voh

it is possible for some normal drives to read GD-Rom's with hacked firmwares. they have to read at x1\x2 speed though. or you can use either a broadband adapter or dreamcast coders cable. BBA is faster though. and people have been working on getting 99min cdr's to burn so they work in the dreamcast, with varying results.
JJXB is offline                         Send a private message to JJXB
Old 30-08-2007, 09:39 PM   #27
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Well, fine. But that's just a matter of how the Data-Stream is put on the discs. A GD still keeps being a CD-ROM. You don't give an amiga-floppy-disk another name just because you can't read them on your computer...

But I don't wanna distract from the point where I was wrong Thought it wasn't a problem cause you can simply download images of DC-Games and burn them with appropriate software and play them on your DC... But now: thyt's not a problem at all

Anyway, the DC rocks
DonCorleone is offline                         Send a private message to DonCorleone
Old 30-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #28
JJXB
Pi-voh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DonCorleone @ Aug 30 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]307875[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
But I don't wanna distract from the point where I was wrong :-D Thought it wasn't a problem cause you can simply download images of DC-Games and burn them with appropriate software and play them on your DC... But now: thyt's not a problem at all :-D

Anyway, the DC rocks :-)
[/b]
how do you think i was playing flashback and quake on my dc then?
Old 30-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #29
DonCorleone
Hero Gamer

Well, I guess you chose the complicated way
I got Resident Evil2 this way, since I was dumb enough to sell it when I owned it
Old 31-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #30
JJXB
Pi-voh

there is no easy way to get flashback on dc since you need to download the REminiscence binaries for it along with the dos data files and amiga mod music files and put them together in the right directory structure before burning with something called "BootDreams" as an AUDIO/DATA disc. you learn this stuff when trying to burn homebrew...