Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #31
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Now sold on GOG along with parts 5 and 6. If you prefer to buy it as part of the Space Quest Collection, that is still sold at JustAdventure.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #32
senhorlampada

How come it's rating is 2.9?
One of the best games ever!

And the first (I remember) with time travel! :P
(Back to the future doesn't count... on that series you play only in one era)
senhorlampada is offline                         Send a private message to senhorlampada
Old 23-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #33
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Considering that rating bases on votes given by the users, it's a pretty average score.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 23-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #34
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Exclamation full score

anybody ever got full points 340 out of 340?Be honest.
I had 325.

Last edited by eugene425; 03-07-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Clarification.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #35
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by senhorlampada View Post
How come it's rating is 2.9?
One of the best games ever!

And the first (I remember) with time travel! :P
(Back to the future doesn't count... on that series you play only in one era)
Why then did her no in your profile, if this is One of the best games ever? Therefore, users do not favor it. In my opinion for complexity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Considering that rating bases on votes given by the users, it's a pretty average score.
And how many points you have gathered, Fifth, tell me please, if not a secret.
eugene425 is offline                         Send a private message to eugene425
Old 15-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #36
Fubb
GreatCanadianMan

It says based on the ratings of 2933 people, Eugene, right above the user rating and judging that its at 2.9 i'd say the average ratings are proly 3's and 2's

Also, who cares if one person says its the best game ever? Its all opinion based, its not your place to use statistics to put down what others believe

DUN duuuunnnn dudududududun SPLOOSH duuunnnnn

We ate the horse.
Fubb is offline                         Send a private message to Fubb
Old 23-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #37
eugene425
Game Wizzard

Smile

anybody ever got full points 340 out of 340?
Be honest.
I had 325.
Old 24-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #38
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

Eugene425 the max score in Space Quest 4 is 315, and yes I have gotten that.

Point List for the game.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86
Old 24-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #39
Kippesoep
Forum hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthHelmet86 View Post
Eugene425 the max score in Space Quest 4 is 315, and yes I have gotten that.

Point List for the game.
This isn't entirely accurate, or at least it's not the full story. The point total originally started out at 340 and was later reduced to 315 by a patch (in SCRIPT.000). You can actually circumvent the patch by starting the game using SCIDHUV.EXE without the -N parameter that is normally used. This does cause problems later on, usually crashing the game. I think this is possible only on the disk version.

The difference in total score is related to changes in the number of points scored by certain actions. Here's the original scores and what they changed into:
  • Buying PocketPal plug 15 -> 10
  • Formatting over Vohaul 25 -> 15
  • Download Junior's mind into his body 10 -> 25
  • Push Junior into the beam 15 -> 0
  • Total 65 -> 50

Hence, a 15 point difference, leading to a reduction from 340 to 325 possible points. I got this list by comparing the SQ.net point list with the scores in The Official Guide to Roger Wilco's Space Adventures: The complete guide to Space Quests I-IV by Jill Champion and Richard C. Leinecker.

Note that the list on SQ.net is not fully accurate either. It claims the total number is 315 (which it is in the game, but the numbers add up to 325, which you can verify simply by summing that column, disregarding the -3 for wimping out at Monolith burger). Other lists indicate no points for fomatting over Vohaul (which is the same as Flushing the Brain, I think) so that's -15 making 310 points and that buying the PocketPal plug is still 15 points (my own tests confirm this), so that's +5 making the proper 315.

Quite a long post, but yes, it is possible that Eugene425 had an earlier version of the game that still had the old scoring method.

Last edited by Kippesoep; 24-07-2010 at 06:50 AM.
Kippesoep is offline                         Send a private message to Kippesoep
Old 24-07-2010, 03:39 AM   #40
DarthHelmet86
SuperFishMod

That might be the case. I shall have to hunt around for my old Space Quest 4 CD and see if it is different from my current version. Though I seem to remember it being 315.

On the note of the extra points, this wouldn't be the only Space Quest game were you can get more points then the "offical" total. In the EGA version of Space Quest 1 you can Hide in the trunk, and then sneak back through the Vents to get the points from both events.
DarthHelmet86 is offline                         Send a private message to DarthHelmet86