Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #1
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

I'm not sure I posted publicaly about this, but I got a very serious injury to my right ankle at the beginning of this year. Since then, I rested my ankle (I almost needed surgery) and I didn't do much physical activities since.

Today (or more like tonight with my tight schedules), I finnaly felt like my ankle was strong enough for me to buy a small elastic restraint for my ankle and go for a run around the block. I ran for about 30 seconds, found a nearby school field while running down the street then I rested a few minutes on a bench... Did some exercise in a tennis court (mainly to see if my ankle was strong enough for me to start playing Badminton again), then I rested some more...

By then, when I started my 30 seconds run back to the house, I felt my legs as heavy as lead and it became hard to actually take a step after another. At that moment I was more like slowly jogging than running anymore.

I'm finnaly back home, sweating like a pig, running after my breath... God, I thought it was my ankle which was in bad shape!

*cough cough whizle, fall on bed and stop moving*
Old 30-08-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

My girlfriend did the same thing on May 31:st.
It's just about now that she has been able to put any weight on the foot.
She had some complications where an infection might have started to spread in the boan itself, so she's on heavy anti-biotics over a period of 3 months.. *L* She said it was the last time she ever attempted lawmowing.
Old 30-08-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
gregor
Home Sweet Abandonia

usually they start the physicall exercise in watter cause it is easier and less tiresome for the limbs. i suggest swimming first before taking on the running. also next time (if there ever is) i suggest various other exercises during the resting time, so that only the ankle is the one suffering.

Ugh if only massages would be cheaper in "western" world...
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
From The Lusty Argonian Maid by Crassius Curio found in TES3: Morrowind
gregor is offline                         Send a private message to gregor
Old 30-08-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

I had quite some problems with my right ankle, and having ever since. Because my heavy weight I sprained my ankle too often in the past, because of that, the ligaments got so loose, that even with my current wight (I lost 20Kgs) it tends to sprain when I don't do any hard excercise at all. I had an especially unlucky encounter, when I got a cast on it, and I was in bed for two weeks, not moving at all. After that I got tired of a light walk in the park, so I know how you feel.

I suggest taking light walks at first, don't run. Then increase the lenght of your walks exponentially. (say one day you walk for an hour, then walk for two ours...) And if after that you wont get tired, just then try to run. A few weeks later you can do some heavy threading on stairs. Just don't try to do it all too fast, because you will regret it. (believe me, I did... and it sucked *cough* *ungh**cough*)

k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 01-09-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

You could also try following a training program like this one I found:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It seems okay for beginners and is called the "Couch to 5k running program" and should have you running 3 miles in 2 months or so.

Actually, the best thing to do is consult a sports therapist. That way you avoid any sport injuries... Anyway, good luck with recovering! k:
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 01-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #6
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

yea, what he said^

Talk to a sport therapist k:

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh