Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Music, Art, Movies
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is one of the renders I handed in for a course today. The scene actually exists. It's the bar of my former rowing club

The only thing that I'm not entirely happy with is the texturing. That could certainly use some tweaking, but I got fed up because rendering took forever and handed it in anyway...
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 20-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
Havell
Home Sweet Abandonia

:blink: Wow! That's good! k: That armchair actually looks comfy As for the textures, the floor texture seems a little streched but the others look like any club bar surface.
Havell is offline                         Send a private message to Havell
Old 20-01-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nice!!!!!

What do you use?

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 20-01-2005, 03:24 PM   #4
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

First stage modeling was done in AutoCAD 2004, but I switched halfway through to
3d Studio MAX 6. Rendering was also done in MAX. I used Radiosity to calculate the shadows, combined with Area Shadows. There was no post-processing in Photoshop.
Old 20-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
Sean
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Cool, did you have to model each item or did you download presets etc?

If you did them yourself could you give a breif desciription of the method you used and how difficult you found it?

I have an interest in 3D Modelling and may start looking at tutorials and such things to see if i can actually work it all out

Sean is offline                         Send a private message to Sean
Old 20-01-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Nope, most of the furniture came from 3d Cafe. The rest was modelled by me and it was pretty easy, because everthing is straight and could be done with boxes. The beer-taps (is that what they're called in English????) were made by lofting an ellipsis along a spline and using a FFD modifier to tweak it a bit. But this probably doens't make much sense when you're starting out. Check out the site above, there are tutorials there as well.

You might also want to try this tutorial which I came across today. It seems pretty exhaustive. Off course MAX ships with a whole CD with tutorials as well. There are also Open Source alternatives, most notably Blender and you can download a Personal Learning edition of Alias Wavefronts Maya 3D. I don't have much experience in both of them, but I've seen great results by people using these programs so...
Old 22-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #7
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

This is a collage I did for a the cover of a political magazin. It is a symbol for the problem of the multi-cultural society, which I considered a puzzle, that can be solved takan enough time. In the end the pieces will fit together.
Old 22-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
Tom Henrik
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via AIM to Tom Henrik Send a message via MSN to Tom Henrik

EXCELLENT idea!

The only thing I can say is that you should've tried to make the puzzle-bits look different. Not use the same style on every bit

Other than that.... This sums it up
Old 22-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
wendymaree
Home Sweet Abandonia

Wow - these are two amazing pieces, Reup. The first one was really professionally done - as was the second, but I could relate to the first as it looked like a scene from a game, and I've always wanted to design my own. k:
wendymaree is offline                         Send a private message to wendymaree
Old 22-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #10
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

@ Tom: Yeah, I the picture I used for the puzzle pieces (this was all done in Photoshop btw), had all the same pieces in it (it is a piece of this picture: image on IstockPhoto.com). So I made selection masks of the shape of the pieces and copy-pasted them out of the portait photos. But you're right, they look a bit alike...

@ Wendymaree: Glad you like them. The first one took me really long to get (almost) right, but I could probably spend another eternity improving it. Which I won't do, by the way I imagine designing a game takes loads of time as well, but you probably start by making good tools, like a game-engine which does all lighting and rendering and a level-editor, which eases your modelling.. still.. heaps and heaps of work... I did some Doom levels years ago, and that was already very nice to be able to run through your own designs... that's why I choose my graduation group (Design Systems) which does a lot of VR research!