Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Closed Thread

Old 15-05-2005, 12:05 PM   #61
TheVoid
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally posted by A. J. Raffles+May 15 2005, 12:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (A. J. Raffles @ May 15 2005, 12:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-win98@May 14 2005, 07:30 PM
ESA SUCKS it is just astupid thing to stop people getting free games
Erm, excuse me, but what makes you think "people" have a right to get games for free? :blink: [/b][/quote]
I second that.
Have you ever thought about how much work goes into making a game? I jgot tired just after making a pair of concept drawings! When you buy a game you're paying the efforts of LOTS of people who had to work A LOT to get a decent product for your own amusement.
The abandonware scene is NOT for getting free games, instead for allowing people to play games that are no longer distributed by the producers/rights owners, and therefore don't bring them any income. Even in the latter case, producers/rights owners have the holiest reasons to be against the free diffusion of their games. That's what ESA did. They never released the games as freeware, so we can't comply, at all. But I'm repeating what many people have already said.
TheVoid is offline                         Send a private message to TheVoid
Old 17-05-2005, 05:23 AM   #62
omg
Games Master

the only thing that bugs me here is that the authors have no say. moonstone is a good example, when i can be bothered to hunt up the link i will add it. the 2 guys who coded tha game, wrote the manual an hand drew an traced the graphix are both down on interview as saying they are pleased that people download and play it still!! now i know in the music world if you wanna sample or cover a tune u can go direct to the writer of that tune. is it not the same in games?

also its a nice idea to say that copywrite protection helps the egineer who invents something but usually its just corporation taking out speculative patents to prevent the future development of technoligy without it belonging to them. copywrite law is the reosen that we still use the obselete internell combustion engine, opec and other nasty companys took out speculative patents on all non petrol ways of powering cars back in the 60s and 70s. so really copywrite laws help PREVENT the development of usefull technoligys, we could have had fuel cells years ago but they were owned by the corps before they were even invented, thus they are only implemented in poor countrys and countrys with smog worst than los angeles so they can sell there stinking petrol to the hiest bidders.

(regulate the internet!!) hahahahaha
omg is offline                         Send a private message to omg
Old 17-05-2005, 08:04 AM   #63
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

...except of course that without patent law (which is what I think you meant there - it's distinct from copyright) nobody would bother spending the money required to develop all these technologies since they'd get no return for it. And I doubt you're right about "speculative patents" - as far as I know you need to have actually developed something (to some degree at least) to patent it, but I could be wrong.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 17-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #64
Titan
Gnome

Send a message via ICQ to Titan Send a message via MSN to Titan Send a message via Skype™ to Titan

EoD