Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 16-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
fender178
Abandonia nerd

Default Vivendi & ESA

Well I dont know where to put this so im putting it in here. Im wondering since Vivendi is no longer a member of the ESA what happens to the characters associated with the games like King's Quest and Space Quest? Are they still copyrighted? Since there is alot of people who are making fanmade games like SQ7 I wonder if those people are allowed to continue to work on their project with out Vivendi breathing down their necks? If any one can lay any info on this I would appreciate it.
fender178 is offline                         Send a private message to fender178
Old 16-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Just because Vivendi is not a part of the ESA anymore does not mean that its games become abandonware all of a sudden.

You'll hear people use the phrase a lot, calling ESA the "watchdogs" that's exactly what they are, they make sure that a company's assets and licenses are protected, but they don't uphold those things themselves.

Vivendi needs to either go kaput or freely make their games public domain in order for them to become abandonware.

I don't see where the belief that the ESA is the only thing keeping a company's games from legitimately being abandonware comes from, I think that needs to be made clear more often.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 16-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #3
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
I don't see where the belief that the ESA is the only thing keeping a company's games from legitimately being abandonware comes from, I think that needs to be made clear more often.
Well, I don't see where the belief that there's such a thing as "legitimate abandonware" comes from either. :amused:

If Vivendi released their games as Public Domain, they'd qualify as Freeware, not Abandonware.

Anyway...
Quote:
Im wondering since Vivendi is no longer a member of the ESA what happens to the characters associated with the games like King's Quest and Space Quest? Are they still copyrighted? Since there is alot of people who are making fanmade games like SQ7 I wonder if those people are allowed to continue to work on their project with out Vivendi breathing down their necks?
All those characters are every bit as copyrighted as before. ESA membership doesn't have anything to do with the presence or expiry of copyrights.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 16-05-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
Blood-Pigggy
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
Well, I don't see where the belief that there's such a thing as "legitimate abandonware" comes from either. :amused:

If Vivendi released their games as Public Domain, they'd qualify as Freeware, not Abandonware.
One of the definitions of "LEGITIMATELY" is "in accordance with established standards" so in theory, the phrase LEGITIMATELY ABANDONWARE would mean that the games would not be up to the standard of what we consider to be abandonware. Don't give me that crap.

My Site -
http://sites.google.com/site/eyenixon
Blood-Pigggy is offline                         Send a private message to Blood-Pigggy
Old 16-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Geezer
Abandonia Homie

BP has a point. Nothing stopping Vivendi from coming after someone with the same passion (or more) than the ESA does. We do need to proceed cautiously. If it were me I would definitely stick to the same aging rules that were used before.
"The gadfly has returned! Thou simpering, whining stable dropping. I have defeated thee repeatedly and still thou darest crawl back for more punishment. Chastise thee I shall. Thy stature is insignificant and thy name moronic. Brother to the vole! Offspring of money grubbing know nothings!" ... Spellcraft: Aspects of Valor
Geezer is offline                         Send a private message to Geezer
Old 16-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

And let's not forget that certain titles are for sale as well.

I guess it wouldnt be too difficult to prove at a court of law, how a fan who made Space Quest 7 caused a decrease of sale for a Space Quest Space Adventure pack (or something) that the copyright holder was selling. Might not be true, but it could stand up in the court of law. So if you're asking about freeare fan made games, because you'd like to make and publish one - I suggest you change your characters and the title (Cosmic Quest with Willy Rogerco, or something).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 16-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebatianos View Post
And let's not forget that certain titles are for sale as well.
i thought that's the only reason.. since they don't support it niether
Old 17-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well, even if they wouldn't support the game and it wouldn't be for sale anymore... and the company wouln't be part of ESA, we might still not host the game. If the copyright holder for a game would contact Abandonia.com and express his wish that we remove a download link to a game - and even a review, Abandonia would do that. The copyright holder is the one who has the control over the game (for 95 years - after that it becomes public domain by default).

So abandonware isn't a legal class, it just basically means games that nobody minds if they are up for download - although it's illegal.
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 19-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
fender178
Abandonia nerd

Thanks for the info guys.
fender178 is offline                         Send a private message to fender178