Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Gamebooks Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 20-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Default Middle-Earth Quest

Feel free to comment and discuss this gamebook series here. If you have any useful tips or tricks, don't hesitate to share them with the others!

Review & Download (if available)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 09-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
CARLJR17
Default Any chance of other PDFs in this series?

Thanks for posting these. Any chance there will be PDFs of other books in the series in the future? I have a few, including Night of the Nazgûl, that I would be willing to scan in if you give me instructions on how to do so (how to create the PDF).

Also, why are these PDFs secured? I wanted to add bookmarks (hyperlinks), so that when clicking on a page number it would take you there. Seems like this would be immensely useful, but I cannot work on this with secured PDFs. :-(

Carl

Old 11-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

All this books was made by Underdog (Mrs. Sarinee Achavanuntakul) for site Home of the Underdogs. Site is dead long ago, and no one got extra scans to put out here. You are welcome to try, though.

Making PDF is very simple, if you need scan only. Most scanners even have build-in option "make pdf". It can be done in most editing programs and some free "pdf-printers" that will "print" your document into pdf-file. But... it will be buch of pictures. Not editable text.

Still I would prefer it this way. It's always possible to make text from pictures, but nothing will give you good pictures if it already destroyed by text.

You need OCR program to make text from scanned image. I use Abbee FineReader (just because it's good, and moreover, my work bought it , but you can prefer something else.

I can remove PDF protection, if it needed. PM me for that. I don't remember though if books here are OCRed. Chances are, they are not, so you wouldn't be able to edit anything right away.
Old 16-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #4
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Question

Greetings, Grandmaster Spectreman.

Did you know of a gamebook title or tabletop RPG (Iam not sure which one it would be) approaching the character’s adventures in the sea?

The only thing I remember is that the character encountered a swordfish swordsman art instructor.

If the character ended up killing the master, he gained little or no experience. A kind of punishment for the apprentice? The master greeted the feat and then fell dead.

If the character was defeated by the master swordsman, the character would gain experiences.

I found this book curious and interesting. I had it, but I would have to look, because many books and other things are stored in boxes.
Old 18-04-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

I am bad with gamebooks and even worse with tabletops. I grown in Russia, remember? There wasn't anything like that here.

On the plus side, I am fond of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, so I can check them (in electronic format). For example, vol. 19 - Demons of the Deep - have underwater adventures, with dolphins, fishes, Atlantean... and sword instructor Cyrano the Swordfish. Is it?
Old 18-04-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
I am bad with gamebooks and even worse with tabletops. I grown in Russia, remember? There wasn't anything like that here.

On the plus side, I am fond of Fighting Fantasy gamebooks, so I can check them (in electronic format). For example, vol. 19 - Demons of the Deep - have underwater adventures, with dolphins, fishes, Atlantean... and sword instructor Cyrano the Swordfish. Is it?
Greetings, Grandmaster Spectreman.

Wow! Yes, it looks like you hit the mark! It is bull’s-eye! I am 99.999999% sure Master Swordsman is Cyrano the Swordfish, because his descriptions on Wikia match well!

Thank you for the help. Now, I hope to acquire this book in digital format, as physical books have the great disadvantage of being damaged and lost. iPad and Tablets welcome preference.
Old 19-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
Thank you for the help. Now, I hope to acquire this book in digital format, as physical books have the great disadvantage of being damaged and lost. iPad and Tablets welcome preference.
You said that you have it. Scan it then. Only known scan in the Internet is far from perfect and very old.

I can then OCR it and make you perfect digital copy. (I can now too, but I cannot do much with bad scanned pictures).
Old 19-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Spectre View Post
You said that you have it. Scan it then. Only known scan in the Internet is far from perfect and very old.

I can then OCR it and make you perfect digital copy. (I can now too, but I cannot do much with bad scanned pictures).
Greetings, Grandmaster Spectreman. I even would like to collaborate, but there are 02 difficulties (there goes the old Myst again with the craze of being methodical:

• I really do not know where the book is. I suspect, but I am not sure. Not to mention that if it is with me, then it will probably be stored in one of the boxes;

• The book has been translated into Portuguese. And the cover was exactly that of the skeletal reptile with details in lime green...

By the way, I do not really like e-books because they are not universal and need very specific platforms. An example would be the Kindle. I preferred files in PDF.

And if, by chance, I get anything good, I will get in touch via PM.
Old 20-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystvan View Post
• I really do not know where the book is. I suspect, but I am not sure. Not to mention that if it is with me, then it will probably be stored in one of the boxes;
That's the main and only problem I see. But you can found anything else while searching for this book! As I said, I fond of series (even if somewhat platonic), so any source of quality picture scans is very welcome. It's non-exist in the Internet.
Quote:
• The book has been translated into Portuguese. And the cover was exactly that of the skeletal reptile with details in lime green...
It's totally nothing while book has the same illustrations. I have _text_. But I insist to make good book from it, not simply ugly texts.

BTW, texts still can be acquired in the internet, if searched right. But it seems, most links was totally killed by google in this year. :|

Quote:
By the way, I do not really like e-books because they are not universal and need very specific platforms. An example would be the Kindle. I preferred files in PDF.
Um, I see two meanings here. If by e-book you mean readers, it's not totally right. Simple and free Calibre will give you automatic tool to convert any format in any needed one.

And I usually use e-book for books itself. So PDF is totally e-book.

Quote:
And if, by chance, I get anything good, I will get in touch via PM.
Ok, I'll be waiting for that.
Old 21-04-2018, 12:52 AM   #10
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Smile

Yes, you are correct!

The PDF file is a type of e-book. You end up forgetting because most readers, whether devices or apps, accept e-books in their own formats and native only compatible with the developer...

And often, these exclusive e-readers are very lame and suck with lots of bugs (at least in Brazil)! So, I ended up having a not very favorable image of the e-books or e-readers of the major magazines here (iba / GoRead, Europa Digital).

One thing I like about PDF is that depending on the scan, you can search for certain words. On the other hand, such *ahem* “exclusive” e-books (in Brazil) look like a flash file in which you cannot copy or search for words.

I would not know how the Kindle would work since my brother used it briefly and then sold it.

Oh, I have good news, Grandmaster Spectreman. I will send you a PM on the book!

PS: PS: I sincerely hope that a certain someone is not very worried about his position in the ranking of PoE...