Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Blah, blah, blah...
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
TheGiantMidgit
Abandonia Homie

So I heard they made a new Aeon Flux movie... can't say I approve, but it brought back some memories. 5 of my favourite episodes;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-fcMsXgI1A (Gravity... perfect title. Gravity in a physical sense, and the fact that the gravity of the situation in the end completely escapes her)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-egJWSIVGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9__uQmgsh4 (featuring some truely grotesque and disturbingly weird moments. Alien embryo abuse anyone?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7brh2hhGVs (personal favourite, the pacing, the concept, the shots, everything is perfectly surreal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lttsqm6v48 (War. The fault of the hollywood hero)
TheGiantMidgit is offline                         Send a private message to TheGiantMidgit
Old 08-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Playbahnosh
The Peacemaker

Send a message via MSN to Playbahnosh

Ugh... what the hel is this???

This is not so funny... rather.... bleh...

"Don't fight the bad things in life! Find the good one! They are everywhere! Don't spend your life fighting for goals you can never reach! Live for the moment!"

BEWARE: I'm using the forums as a personal blog!
Playbahnosh is offline                         Send a private message to Playbahnosh
Old 08-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Hamster of Doom
Abandonia nerd

Ah...Aeon Flux! All episodes are very....weird.....but cool!
About a month ago I bought the Complete Collection Box of Aoen Flux. Nice Thing. You never know if Aeon or Trevor Goodchild wins (or if both win/loose).

But I have not seen the new movie.
Hamster of Doom is offline                         Send a private message to Hamster of Doom
Old 08-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
#BlakhOle#
Game Wizzard

Oh really it was a series was it? I never knew that. All my friends say the movie was great but i havent seen it yet. Is the show old or more recent?
#BlakhOle# is offline                         Send a private message to #BlakhOle#
Old 08-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Reup
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm dissapointed Charlize Theron didn't don the same garments as Aeon did
Reup is offline                         Send a private message to Reup
Old 08-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Fruit Pie Jones
Now 50% Descriptivist!

Memories indeed. I remember watching these on MTV, back before MTV was completely dominated by worthless crap. It was heading that way already even then, but there was occasionally something worth watching.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #7
plix
Game freak

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(#BlakhOle# @ Jun 8 2006, 09:51 AM) [snapback]235200[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Oh really it was a series was it? I never knew that. All my friends say the movie was great but i havent seen it yet. Is the show old or more recent?
[/b]
It was a bunch of cartoon shorts first (part of MTV's show "liquid television") and later turned into a half-hour series. The movie was almost entirely unrelated.

The show was "weird," it wasn't contiguous, and it rarely made much sense from an overall perspective. It was more a collection of really neat ideas, intelligent dialogue, and grotesque fun. Characters didn't have defined roles beyond employment/political alignment and it was never really clear what the true nature of Aeon and Trevor's relationship was. They slept togeather, they fought constantly against each other, they tried to kill each other, they saved each other, etc. Aeon was neither good nor bad (rather nihilistic, actually), and Trevor was the same. Hell, there was an entire season where each episode ended with Aeon's death. The show was abstract modern art meets postmodern philisophy.

The movie, on the other hand, made Aeon an underdog fighting the good fight against an evil totalitarian regime and Trevor a flawed -- but nonetheless good -- leader. There was a coherent plot, morals, character roles, and a continuity which were nowhere to be found -- or even suggested at -- in the original series. The movie was nothing more than another Hollywood attempt to cash in on "old" pop culture. Whereas the original series was postmodern art and philisophy, the movie was a feel-good action-romance.

The movie isn't worth going to any great lengths to see (wait for it to hit HBO), but the DVD collection is worth every penny (and is only about $30 USD).
plix is offline                         Send a private message to plix
Old 09-06-2006, 02:28 AM   #8
taikara
Abandonia Homie

Wow... this does bring you back. Like FPJ, I watched the series on MTV. I wasn't really into many of the Liquid Television shorts, but AF had some uniquely gorgeous animation, and as plix said, intelligent dialogue.
taikara is offline                         Send a private message to taikara
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 AM   #9
guesst
Abandonia Homie

reminds me of Heavy metal in alot of ways.
guesst is offline                         Send a private message to guesst
Old 09-06-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

I remember there used to be no plot line at all really. Didn't she even die in a couple episodes?
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ