Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 01-06-2005, 07:25 PM   #11
Snowblind

OK I have to say it, I know this is a great game, but is it really worth it to upload games into archive without speech and cutscenes? and in this case, 640-480 VESA Capability. That truely hampers the experience!

I know it would consume a stupid amount of space to have all these games on here in full versions.
I think I've found a compremise...

I think these older Great Top Rated games, I mean only the ones found worthy and deserving of it... Should be posted in full version.

This way you still save allot of space, and only those magical few games that deserve it have full music, sound, video modes.

I do admit, I have Asendacy on CD rom and i downloaded it from this archive and played it without sound and music anyways... hehehe... and yes it was enjoyable.

Old 01-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #12
Flop
Hero Gamer

It's still a great game, and I'm not sure that the cutscenes are missing. If memory serves that weren't that many cutscenes, and they weren't stunningly beautiful, so maybe it's just the speech that is missing (and speech isn't all that important IMO).
Flop is offline                         Send a private message to Flop
Old 01-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #13
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowblind@Jun 1 2005, 08:25 PM
I think these older Great Top Rated games, I mean only the ones found worthy and deserving of it... Should be posted in full version.
Well the upper limit for a game archive at the moment is 200MB - full version of this game would unfortunately be larger then that. But that's one of the point we have the VIP section. It's such additions to abandoned games that are put in the VIP section (but not everybody can become a member - you need to help out the site).

The parts that were left out are:
The intro movie, and the scenes when all of a sudden you see the Death Gate title screen show up (like when travelling through the gate).
Also speech and the sound effects are missing (not that there were that many sound effects).
And as for enjoyability of the game - it's still an excelent game (and with sound it still offers more then quite a lot of other games). It's just that technicall this version is average (the full version would be better).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 01-06-2005, 08:55 PM   #14
rallier
Abandonia nerd

hmmmm walkthrough is somewhat needed..... and the link doesn't work... i am stuck.... i think the next logical step is to acquire the pipe used as a candleholder.... logically...however i went everywhere...even in the elven ship but could do no more......
rallier is offline                         Send a private message to rallier
Old 01-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

Well you need to bring something else to Limbeck. Something he can put the candle in (And it's not found in the caves). When on the elf ship talk to the prisoners downstairs and you'll learn of the location of king Stephen's castle. You need to go there first (not everything can be found in one place).

BTW - I put the walkthrough back up (the extras link doesn't work - don't know why), that's why I put a link in the review (I removed it before, but put it back now).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 01-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #16
Spoonman
Flyswatter

Great game.. a bit slow, but still highly enjoyable. It would really suit Abandonia to have the full version of it though imho.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #17
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

A good one. I played it with HOTU's version early this year. Yes, Haplo is not Xar's son.

As I mentioned in the other thread a couple of months back, I still prefer Shannara. Death Gate is, however, still my second best choice for adventure games by Legend. Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is okay, but I don't particularly like Mission Critical.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 02-06-2005, 02:54 AM   #18
Chris
Abandonia Homie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sebatianos+Jun 1 2005, 09:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sebatianos @ Jun 1 2005, 09:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snowblind@Jun 1 2005, 08:25 PM
Well the upper limit for a game archive at the moment is 200MB - full version of this game would unfortunately be larger then that. But that's one of the point we have the VIP section. It's such additions to abandoned games that are put in the VIP section (but not everybody can become a member - you need to help out the site).
[/b][/quote]
Just to tell some numbers...

The full version including speech and everything is about 540 MB. WAY too big for the site. The version with VESA support excluding sound rounds up to 120 MB and is very hard to rip. I tried with my german version a few times and couldn't get a proper working rip together. Apart from that I've digged up a 30 MB version from the net, which doesn't have any benefits compared to the game on our site., except the intro, which isn't worth seeing either IMO. So we've got a very nice compromise here. You won't miss anything spectecular, but may enjoy the whole game in quite a good state. Personally, I'm sorry for the limitations, but a full version would simply have grown too big.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris
Old 02-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #19
Gamefreak

Hmm, are you sure the full version is 540MB large? I have the full game, but it's just 307MB large and it doesn't seem to miss anything.
Btw., do you (Abandonia) need the full version? It's 307MB large, like said.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:18 PM   #20
Chris
Abandonia Homie

just checked the size again. windows says:

541 MB (567,547,904 Bytes)

dunno if the german version is larger.

Chris is offline                         Send a private message to Chris