Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 05-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
ReamusLQ
Home Sweet Abandonia

Default Defender of Boston - The Rock Island Mystery

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)

Last edited by Luchsen; 25-01-2008 at 04:46 PM.
ReamusLQ is offline                         Send a private message to ReamusLQ
Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
Adamg
That one guy.

Not bad. The spelling is terrible though. And I wish I knew why after I talk to somebody, they follow me everywhere. I even had a lady go out of her house, and follow me into another house and then point a gun at me like she was protecting her own house. This is a really bizzare island. The store owner followed me back into my house in the middle of the night once when I was injured. I was freaked out so I pumped her full of lead. By the way, even if somebody is dead, you can still talk to their corpse. :blink: Also, it's kind of odd being able to find dozens of bullets laying on the ground in places. It's like Iwo Jima or something. :/ Nice atmosphere though. With some reprogramming it could be a real masterpiece.

P.S. If you need .22 shells or .12 cartridges, go to the house just S SE of your house and search the ground. There's a 7mm auto in the jail too, but I haven't been able to find any ammo for it.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Adamg
That one guy.

Also, you can make backup saves yourself by copying the Game1.dob, Game2.dob, ect, files yourself in the DOB directory. Just replace the main save slots with the backups when you want to restore. I think it takes almost all the fun away though, so backup seldomly.
Old 13-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
WilliamC23
Abandonia nerd

Yes, I've had the same problem. The people always follow me. Makes it easier though when you come up with new questions to ask them. BTW, the most important thing to find in this game is the hand-crank generator in the lighthouse, the weird gun from Scotty's house, the Scalar delimator(sp?) from Scotty's house, the matches from Dice Kennedy's house to light the candles, a load of stuff from the mansion which is near the southwest coastline and the weird tower. The Men in Black house, near the William's Farmhouse has a device in it which forces people to tell you the truth, and something behind a sealed iron door which can probably be blown. Beware the MiB are armed with weapons and will shoot at you without provocation. Also, make sure you open all doors with a lock pick which you can engineer from the barbed wire piece. But in the mansion, don't pick doors open with anyone around.
WilliamC23 is offline                         Send a private message to WilliamC23
Old 07-01-2007, 08:40 AM   #5
thatmexicanguy
Game freak

Wonderful RPG. I quite like the different hit locations for your character and the overall Lovecraftian atmosphere.
thatmexicanguy is offline                         Send a private message to thatmexicanguy
Old 05-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #6

Yes, this is seriously a brilliant game, and I've had it for the last 15 years, and I still can't finish it.

I've found the maps, the tunnels that link the top from the bottom. The magneto, the map, Um, there's an alien on the island somewhere too. I've even found some bird watching guys camping in a tent somewhere. Yes, watch out for the mob.

I've even managed to find a radio and call home and get a ride off the island on a plane. But I can't finish the game! It's such a crazy game, and it's cool.

I think there needs to be a version two written. It's mad as.

The graphics could be a little better, but I give it two thumbs up for adventure.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:39 AM   #7
steve monro

Sorry, I forgot to write my name.

Has anyone actually ever finished this game and solved the rock island mystery?

Old 17-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #8
jast

Apart from NPC following, and speaking with dead the game is VERY good. The mood is fantastic. Thank you very much abandonia for the original map

I still did not finish the game, but I can still give some hints though
-some events are scripted, so it may be a good idea to wait for few days
- visit underground corridor under uri and scotty house. Read all the journals you can find
-send a report to faunus foundation often and check your mailbox in post office.
-try to make medicines as early in the game as possible. plenty of empty bottles lay around your house.
-safe deposit boxes contain invaluable items. Codes can be found in gov agents house.

SPOILER
- door in the lighthouse can be blasted. The lighthouse powersource can be used to power scalar altogenerator from scotty house
-you cannot blast the door in gov agent house. You must use the old key that was hidden by previous agents. The location can be found in old mission diary from cave, near the imprisoned monster pit.
-before you can open the door you must get rid of agents. I doubt you can kill them on your own. Better way is to show mission diary to the mob leader.
- If you take the Thing you will be attacked. My guess is you have to give it to the aliens.
jast is offline                         Send a private message to jast
Old 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Slobs

Hey Jast, I'm in a similar boat to you - however, i'm a little further along (just barely, though).

The artifact you get from the Agents' house has three uses - you can use it to get the super-bad-end by picking up the great old ones' broadcast over dice's radio and pressing the colors in order as you receive them to (in true HP Lovecraft fashion) unleash swirling nuclear chaos and wipe out all of humanity. That's a pretty bad idea, generally speaking.

Otherwise, you can wait with the device in tow for a little while around Scotty - he will eventually give you a Harmonic Emi Sender (I think - there's a similar device which does nothing; both have a 'press button' option). Take this, and go to the ring of stones that's south-east of Scotty's house, press the button, and the screen'll flash and you get abducted by Aliens who take back the device before dropping you off near the Black Farm ruins. (note this isn't the end of the game).

Alternatively you can take the device back to the institute. I dunno if this is the right thing to do or if the alien method is, but this one causes the game to end in any case.

Anyways, no matter which option you choose there's still another objective I can't find the solution to - a monster of some sort in the caves (under the stone disk) escapes automatically shortly after you come into contact with the device. According to Uri's diary, you're supposed to read the Psiro Scroll at the top of the old tower, but this doesn't seem to work. You can move the disk back to trap the monster but this has limited success and doesn't mark the objective finished; I think I'm missing something.

Hey, maybe it's got something to do with making the massive storm appear at the lighthouse with Scotty's device?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #10
WilliamC23
Abandonia nerd

Helpful Information and Spoilers

You can only contact the aliens after Scotty gives you his communicator, you can use it at the rock circle east of his house.

Do not target nor attack the DeepOnes, if you encounter them, run away very fast. If you look at them, along with owls, you lose sanity, on top of that you become violently ill.

All of the caves are connected, use the shovels, which you can only get at the MIB house south of Ben Williams' house, on the cave tunnels with loose dirt. The entire network of tunnels are connected, and are a good way of avoiding the creatures on top.

You can use the device you find at Scotty's house on the top of the lighthouse, this will cause a 2 day long torrent of rain. This may end up clearing up the weather for the rest of the game. Also, at the bottom of the lighthouse there is a magneto which allows you to recharge everything.

Some of the people you can talk to may be found wandering the island, there is the lone survivor of a shipwreck near the coast, there is a doctor and his assistant that operate around a camp to the east of Scotty's house. Some of the MIB agents wander around, be wary of them as they may start shooting. A man named Abe Feaster will shoot at you no matter what you do, you may not even be able to see him when he's attacking you. Kezra Wilets husband wanders the island though he is close to impossible to locate. There is a device that is owned by the MIB that allows you to talk to even the most uncooperative people.

Here are the safe combinations:

Scotty's: 16-32-64

Dice's: 25-65-13
WilliamC23 is offline                         Send a private message to WilliamC23