Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 27-05-2005, 06:35 AM   #111
SnowBlind <origional>

:help: OMG i cant believe you have this game here! I bought it when it was first released and spent days playing it. I've played as almost every race! It is not difficult at all to play but i guess thats because i had the manual <grins>

Anyhow, my favoret two races are the ones that instantly complete a project every so and so days, and the ones that instantly complete the research or have faster research <shrugs>.

I was a technology Fiend and had planets and in every sector I could get to! So my fleet was quite large! My 3 Flagships <over kill> would attack one star system at a time, while those long range Orbital Cannons would defend my planets, a defense fleet outfitted completely with shields and engines solved any troubles the Orbital Cannons couldn't handle. You just drop one into orbit so the enemy cant land, and have another refit for weapons.

This game needed Enhanced AI and Multiplayer Support to have stood a chance against the other overly <hard> space empire simulations in existance at the time of it's release.. hmm that was master of orion 3 at the time i believe..

Old 27-05-2005, 09:35 AM   #112
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

2, not 3.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 27-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #113
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Badger@May 21 2005, 02:29 AM
Hi; I DL'd the game but I cannot get it to run in Windows XP. Any advice? Thanks, Jim
My advice would be to read the post above yours and run it in DOSBox.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 27-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #114
Seen

Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone+May 27 2005, 12:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BeefontheBone @ May 27 2005, 12:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jim Badger@May 21 2005, 02:29 AM
Hi; I DL'd the game but I cannot get it to run in Windows XP. Any advice? Thanks, Jim
My advice would be to read the post above yours and run it in DOSBox. [/b][/quote]
Ok, i got a new one then for you, how can i make it faster in dosbox :bleh: ?

Old 27-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #115
samtam90
Game Wizzard

Quote:
Originally posted by Seen+May 27 2005, 06:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Seen @ May 27 2005, 06:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
Originally posted by BeefontheBone@May 27 2005, 12:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Jim Badger
Quote:
@May 21 2005, 02:29 AM

My advice would be to read the post above yours and run it in DOSBox.
Ok, i got a new one then for you, how can i make it faster in dosbox :bleh: ? [/b][/quote]
Add cycles in dosbox.conf.
samtam90 is offline                         Send a private message to samtam90
Old 27-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #116
BeefontheBone
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

or press f12 to increase while it's running.
BeefontheBone is offline                         Send a private message to BeefontheBone
Old 28-05-2005, 01:04 AM   #117
Mordred

I have to step into defence of this game. Although i do agree that the routine for planetar development (e.G. autobuild) is suboptimal its not HORRYBLY off its goal. It leaves you with usable planets. If you prefer to do it all by yourself - hey ok, but issuing every build order manually get this game tendious very fast, if you want to do that i suggest a very small galaxy with lots of computer opponents. Due space limitations there won't be much colonies, in every other case i suggest you hit the 'M' key to activate auto management and concentrate on conquest and research, or automate research as well. As for the AI watching its planets just getting blowed to bits without responding... well, i downloaded the Antag AI patch, but found it somewhat choppy for odd reasons under dos box, so i dug out the Logic Factory site and dowloaded the maintenace patch. All i can say is after my experience, when running 1.6.5 response is swift, entire fleets are sent out to hit your ships and invasion ships are commited to take your colonies. If you really care that much about a preise planetary layout - keep the game small, do it yourself. If you don't skip it and focus on playing the game. Also, someone said it would be a great flaw that regardless how many ships are there turns each side gets one turn in each cycle and how unbalancing that is. Would be true if ships not only had movement but also energy restrictions as well as 'once a turn' weapon systems. Those bombs are one-shot weapons and have even to be refitted after use (if you got repair docks that is). All in all this game is a very good one, with its only flaw being a somwhat unclean auto-build routine. Not that it matters much. It may not be Master of Orion 2 but is damm close...

Old 01-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #118
enwelz

HOwdy, It runs great in XP, except I can't get it to find my sound card. Any advice? If you say Dosbox, How the heck do i get it running on that program? :whistle:

Old 01-06-2005, 09:45 AM   #119
efthimios
Home Sweet Abandonia

You run it by going to this site and reading through the tutorial there. That is how I did it :-)

You could also try to use VDMS to skip dosbox alltogether.
efthimios is offline                         Send a private message to efthimios
Old 24-06-2005, 08:00 AM   #120
Tenno

Quote:
Originally posted by enwelz@Jun 1 2005, 09:21 AM
HOwdy, It runs great in XP, except I can't get it to find my sound card. Any advice? If you say Dosbox, How the heck do i get it running on that program? :whistle:
I had the same problem when running the game the first time in XP...

To enable sound you have to run a special file first. I think its name was setsound or so...its in the same folder as the main executive.
There u should select Sound Blaster or 100% Compatible and then run the autodetect and it should work.

Just give it a few tries. Its worth it.