Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Troubleshooting
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
tomf
Game freak

Send a message via AIM to tomf Send a message via MSN to tomf Send a message via Yahoo to tomf
Default Mystery of the Nautilus

Hi,
I just picked up an old copy of a game called Mystery of The Nautilus from a friend and tried to install it into XP, it installed but then froze the computer completeley when I tried to start a new game, I did some googling and I found a possible solution, I tried pressing escape rapidly as soon as i pressed new game to skip the opening video, I GET INTO THE GAME, I try to move the screen and it crashes . I fish out my old windows 98 cd and install it onto a partition on my HDD and after many hours of trouble (sound wouldn't work and it still freezes somtimes on startup) I got it to work OK, I install the game and to my excitement the video plays correctly, I get into the game and I turn my view, and it crashes AGAIN! :mad: and it takes Direct Draw with it, ANy ideas?
There may come a day when the courage of men fails, When we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day, An hour of wolves and shattered shields, When the age of men comes crashing down, But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth I bid you stand! Men of the west!

Click my dragons please
Or just click here for all of them
tomf is offline                         Send a private message to tomf
Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

no clue, although the game looks like it's the kind of 1st person adventures which use quicktime for stuff. considering it was released long time ago, maybe your quicktime has problems with it? try degrading it. i remember this helped me when i wanted to play first myst on my new machine

any error messages btw?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
tomf
Game freak

Send a message via AIM to tomf Send a message via MSN to tomf Send a message via Yahoo to tomf

nope, just crashes to the desktop, any idea why 98 freezes on startup though?
There may come a day when the courage of men fails, When we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day, An hour of wolves and shattered shields, When the age of men comes crashing down, But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth I bid you stand! Men of the west!

Click my dragons please
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

dunno, tried hitting ctrl alt delete and restarting explorer?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
tomf
Game freak

It freezes on the cloud screen with the little bar that runs along underneath it, Also the game doesn't use quicktime I checked but thanks anyway

Click my dragons please
Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

ohh the cloud sreen, that one hanged for a while for me too but i never figured out why probably some missing drivers trying to load

by the way what did you mean by "and it takes Direct Draw with it", since it doesn't give any errors? o_O
Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

I have that game, but only played it once, back in 2003 if I'm not mistaken. I played it on Windoze XP, and do not recall any problems playing it. I am afraid I have misplaced the CD though.
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi
Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
tomf
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by _r.u.s.s. View Post
ohh the cloud sreen, that one hanged for a while for me too but i never figured out why probably some missing drivers trying to load

by the way what did you mean by "and it takes Direct Draw with it", since it doesn't give any errors? o_O
Well after it crashes when I go to Diag it has not available next to direct draw and direct3D

@Rabadi
Were you running sp2 at that point?

Click my dragons please
Old 06-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #9
_r.u.s.s.
I'm not Russ
but an ex-alektorophobic

and if you run dxdiag before the actual game, does ddraw crash? (test button)
Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
rabadi
New(bie) Kid on the Linux Users' Block

No, I did not apply SP2. For that matter, I do not think I applied SP1 either. It was the OEM version (Windoze XP Home, not Professional). I played it on a laptop (it is no longer my current laptop so again I am afraid I cannot check).
rabadi is offline                         Send a private message to rabadi