Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Tech Corner
Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
Sebatianos
[BANNED]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Japofran @ Sep 22 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]312555[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Sep 22 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]312545[/snapback]
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd want just any programe have acces to my computer registry. [/b]
EVERY program you run from an admin account (which is default for Windows and what 99% of people do) has full access to the registry to do as it pleases.
[/b][/quote]
I assumed (maybe falsely) that people acctually do take the bother to protect their registry. In my case my anti-virus software blocks every programe from changing the registry unless I aprove it (so I get about 12 warnings just instaling a simple game) also giving me information on what the programe is trying to do to the registry (add or change a line). But to regestry editing programes it gives free hands (so if I allow the programe to be used, it will have free access to the registry).

That's why I wouldn't like to give a programe I don't trust (which would be just about anything I'd download from the web for free) a free run of my registry. That's even why I don't use skype (the people who made Kazaa made it and it's been trying to do the same things to my registry as if I'd install Kazaa, which I removed years ago, because my PC got too vounrable for my taste).
Sebatianos is offline                         Send a private message to Sebatianos
Old 23-09-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

My firewall does the same thing when registry changes have occured either by an installed program, or if I'm updating a program and it simply needs to be able to connect with the updating server for further updating, telling me that a new version has been replaced. Monitoring this is always a good sign, as you have to pay attention with your firewalls/anti-viruses/spyware monitoring programs.

Registry cleaners are just that, fixing up old outdated entries, that tends to occur when you are uninstalling a program, some programs do a nice job of cleaning out everything, while others leave the original folder and registry entries intact, by cleaning your registry and keeping an eye on your program startup list, can aid in the longrun with speed and especially with defragging your computer. Keeping your pc in top shape is always handy especially if you want to keep it in top shape, my 1999 computer that I still have around, is still running in fairly top shape, because of keeping an eye on the registry, cleaning it out and just getting rid of the muck you can accumulate, either by outdated registry entries, temp files that are never cleared out.

Oh and little side note regarding Skype, its a legit and clean program. Yes it was made by the original kazaa makers, but it looks like they have changed their tune after the massive exposure their program got and least changed their attitude about spyware (shocking to see considering there are many companies out there that still do it). I do screen and keep track of programs and I did download Skype a few versions back, and can safely say that there was nothing left on my system that could be classfied as spyware or ad-ware as a result of the program after I uninstalled the program, even download.com and majorgeeks both say the program is spyware free, just adding a bit of detail.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude
Old 23-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Japo
Autonomous human

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sebatianos @ Sep 23 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]312743[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
In my case my anti-virus software blocks every programe from changing the registry unless I aprove it[/b]
I follow the opposite approach and I think it's simpler. I created a limited user account and that's what I use for everything especially Internet surfing (even Microsoft advises it for XP even though it's not default because most users would be calling tech support the minute after). My admin account isn't used unless necessary, I nearly never log in it because you can run individual programs as admin from any other account with just a right-click, and if you protect the admin account with a password malicious programs won't be able to do the same. Programs that need special permissions are run this way but for the rest I'm certain they're not writting to the registry or even modifying files outside my user's Documents and Settings, even if they tried, and I don't need any third-party security software to be certain of it.

EDIT: I know RegSeeker is more thorough, I may use it some day, it's only that I don't feel it's necessary for the moment being because my computer performs perfectly. CCleaner isn't very aggressive but it does detect outdated classes which are I reckon the biggest burden on performance. Also I'm not frightened to edit the registry manually if I know what I'm hunting down, the remains of a program just uninstalled for instance, I've done that several times. Thank you for reassuring me about RS's accuracy DD, I'll take that into account, anyway I have heard first-hand about its breaking AutoCAD for example (I've got it installed). But I'd bet 95% of programs are unaffected and anyway that's what the backup is for.
Old 27-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
thebes
Game freak

Well folks I went ahead and bought it. And I have to sings praises to it! My computer had gotten so bad it was crashing about every two minutes! I was barely able to download it and get it working without crashing. Took me a couple of hours to do this. It does back up the registry by the way and even has a registry defrag! My computer is just "marvelous!" Not trying to sell this to anyone but I have to admit I am happy with it! :brain:
Luke 7:23 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.
thebes is offline                         Send a private message to thebes
Old 27-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
DeathDude
Caught Somewhere In Time

Good to hear that your computer is running even more smoothly, it can be tough to find a registry program that happens to be safe enough that you don't have to have a ton of technical knowledge and plus just generally free all around.

@Japofan- Indeed yeah CCleaner does a fine enough job on its own either via the cleaning or registry route, its a fine all around program, and for sure the backups for regseeker definitely are handy in case something goes crazy.

http://www.last.fm/user/DeathDude/ Upcoming Concerts will be attending 5/10/08: Dream Theater, 5/12/08: Gigantour, 5/16/08: Nightwish, 5/27/08: Rush, 6/5/08 and 6/6/08: Iron Maiden!!, 7/27/08: Judas Priest
DeathDude is offline                         Send a private message to DeathDude