Memberlist Forum Rules Today's Posts
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #301
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabag View Post
PC-DOS 7.0 IS real DOS...
It's not. I've been trying to explain this to you. The development of PC-DOS and MS-DOS diverged completely after version 5.0.
MS-DOS is what most of the games were produced for. Any game that requires a DOS version above 5 is not going to work right.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #302
fleabag
Abandonia nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
It's not. I've been trying to explain this to you. The development of PC-DOS and MS-DOS diverged completely after version 5.0.
MS-DOS is what most of the games were produced for. Any game that requires a DOS version above 5 is not going to work right.
If that is true,then why have I eventually been able to get almost every other MS-DOS program to work with it !?!?
fleabag is offline                         Send a private message to fleabag
Old 10-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #303
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

You are talking about a game which is so old that it was created when MS DOS was actually the leading OS on the market.

For oldies, you need oldies.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #304
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabag View Post
If that is true,then why have I eventually been able to get almost every other MS-DOS program to work with it !?!?
*sigh* You're not listening. Try paying some attention now, because I'm explaining this to you for the last time.

Up to version 5.0, Microsoft and IBM have shared the source code with each other. After that, they began developing their versions of the system in different directions.

The result is that programs developed for version 5.0 or lower of any of the two systems are cross-compatible between them. Ones developed for higher versions might work, depending on how reliant they were on any features introduced to the systems after the divergence point.

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 10-03-2010, 07:35 PM   #305
Professor Oak
Home Sweet Abandonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Horseman View Post
This discussion reminds me somewhat of this video.
Professor Oak is offline                         Send a private message to Professor Oak
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #306
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

What I find ironic is that this site forbid me from using its content if I don't use a browser it likes.

Was it intentional?
Old 14-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #307
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t

I can see that this topic's been sort of dead for some time now, hasn't it?

Anyway, recently I stumbled upon something interesting on youtube, and that was a playthrough or rather "let's play" video of Civilization by a dude named DeceasedCrab. His channel's full of interesting videos but let's leave that aside. What I'm trying to say here is that as much as I never would've expected myself of enjoy watching a let's play of a very static strategy game like Civ, surprisingly I did. A lot. Usually one expects to like to play games that involve one into using one's brain (like Civ), but prefers to watch something more active, more showy. That's why I was surprised. I am also surpirsed that I spoke about myself as of one but that's just due to lack of sleep & heaps of stress. Anyway... I found myself going through all 20 or so of consecutive videos covering a whole game of Civilization by this guy. In one seating. I gotta say it was interesting but it's not that simple and it's not what I'm pushing here... The main thing that kept me entertained and "chained" to my laptop's screen was video comments. Deceased Crab posts videos every couple of days or so, and all the people watching these were commenting, discussing different strategies & types of approach to a standard game of Civilization and it was really involving. Not only beacause I got to confront my point of view on certain aspects of the game but also the guy (DC), who made those video responded accurately picking between the strategies or using some of the hints and tips in further videos along the way of same one playthrough. I really enjoyed reading it and watching the videos as well. But what struck me odd was that how much he had to enjoy playing a game like that, like a real emperor "using" his viewers as advisors on interacting with them as with a government officials. I mean don't get me wrong it was his personal video it had his style and in no way there was no political or boring talk there but just by watching it I could tell that he was using ideas and hints from previous videos in the latter ones. Looked liked fun, for both him and the viewers. There fore even though this message is real huge now I'm sad to say it has no real point to it other than just a simple conclusion that I would've enjoyed participating in this kind of playthrough. Probably more as an advisor and watcher than a player, but it looked fun and seemed fun when I read it, so taking part in it was undoubtely even better.

I'm not fooling myself that this message would ressurect this topic or that anyone would actually be bothered to read through it all but if anyone does then I'm interested what's your opinion on that kind of playthrough, does it seem interesting, a confrontation of opinions, strategies & visions for one perfect (well, DCs game was far from it ^__^) game?
kad3t is offline                         Send a private message to kad3t
Old 27-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #308
Maestrotogo

I think I know who your talking about on youtube....I actually think it was like 2 years ago though....I own every Civ they have ever released...im such a fanboy!!
Maestrotogo is offline                         Send a private message to Maestrotogo
Old 27-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #309
kad3t
Abandonia nerd

Send a message via MSN to kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestrotogo View Post
I think I know who your talking about on youtube....I actually think it was like 2 years ago though....I own every Civ they have ever released...im such a fanboy!!
It may have been two years since he released it but I watched it recently. Anyway, it was an entertaining experience for me as it was just pure fun.

So, what do you think about upcoming part 5. From what I read it's shaping up to become a milestone kind of a game in Civilization franchise. For better or worse as opinions differ. From my point of view what I read about hex based map, range combat and units stationing outside of cities; Civilization seems to be slowly evolving into something even better than it originally was.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #310
Anonymousyrous

Kad3t:

Kad3t, you might be interested in the CivFanatics forum.

http://forums.civfanatics.com

I just have a feeling like you want to talk about Civilization a bit.

Cheers,

Talkie