Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 04-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #1
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

Default Conqueror - A.D. 1086

Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review & Download (if available)

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 05-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Zeneger
Default Help

Can someone help me? I'm using win7 ultimate and the game won't run. I tried changing the compatibility to win95 but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Old 05-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #3
cdnp
Super Freak

Use DosBox then follow the instructions at the bottom of the review:

In order to run Conqueror - A.D. 1086 in DOSBox, you'll need to type in the following commands in order (note: these instructions assume you've extracted the game's folder, called CONQUER, directly to your C drive):

mount d: c:/conquer/cd -t cdrom -label CONQEROR mount c: c:/conquer/ c: conquer.bat
cdnp is offline                         Send a private message to cdnp
Old 05-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
cdnp
Super Freak

Use DosBox then follow the instructions at the bottom of the review:

In order to run Conqueror - A.D. 1086 in DOSBox, you'll need to type in the following commands in order (note: these instructions assume you've extracted the game's folder, called CONQUER, directly to your C drive):

mount d: c:/conquer/cd -t cdrom -label CONQEROR mount c: c:/conquer/ c: conquer.bat
cdnp is offline                         Send a private message to cdnp
Old 05-08-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
HikaruOokami
Lurker

I followed all the instructions presented, but I'm still running into a problem. The game acts like it's starting to run and some text appears in the DosBox box, but then it says: "ERROR: Not enough memory to load Gob file or file not found. Aborting..." Then it says: "Program aborted. Thanks for playing Conqueror 1086AD" Any of you guys have any idea what could be wrong?
HikaruOokami is offline                         Send a private message to HikaruOokami
Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
Jaksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikaruOokami View Post
I followed all the instructions presented, but I'm still running into a problem. The game acts like it's starting to run and some text appears in the DosBox box, but then it says: "ERROR: Not enough memory to load Gob file or file not found. Aborting..." Then it says: "Program aborted. Thanks for playing Conqueror 1086AD" Any of you guys have any idea what could be wrong?
I ran into the same issue. The problem seems to be that the directory provided isn't actually properly installed. I fixed it by mounting the CD subdirectory as a cdrom using DOSBox then running the install program from the disc, installing it, then running it from the directory I installed it to.
Jaksen is offline                         Send a private message to Jaksen
Old 05-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikaruOokami
Have you tried increasing the amount of memory DOSBox uses? I have mine set at 63MB. In order to change the amount of memory, simply open up dosbox.conf (if you have the latest version, you may need to access it using DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat) and alter the memsize line to memsize=63.

In the event that doesn't work, use Jaksen's advice. Also, since you shouldn't need to install the game AGAIN (the Conqueror - A.D. 1086 archive is supposed to be pre-installed), I can get the game's archive re-submitted.

Proud Beta Tester for Desura Since October 28, 2010

Last edited by Expack2; 05-08-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Removed nasty statement.
Expack2 is offline                         Send a private message to Expack2
Old 05-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Jaksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expack2 View Post
Have you tried increasing the amount of memory DOSBox uses? I have mine set at 63MB. In order to change the amount of memory, simply open up dosbox.conf (if you have the latest version, you may need to access it using DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat) and alter the memsize line to memsize=63.

In the event that doesn't work, use Jaksen's advice. Also, since you shouldn't need to install the game AGAIN (the Conqueror - A.D. 1086 archive is supposed to be pre-installed), I can get the game's archive re-submitted.

EDIT: I double-checked the game archive I submitted, and I was able to run it just fine.
Okay, I think I figured this out. In the file Conquer.ini it has a line:

GOB=C:\SIERRA\CONQUER\

I'm fairly certain that unless that's where you have the game extracted, it can't find the GOB file. So, an easier fix than the one I suggested is probably just to change that line.
Jaksen is offline                         Send a private message to Jaksen
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaksen View Post
Okay, I think I figured this out. In the file Conquer.ini it has a line:

GOB=C:\SIERRA\CONQUER\

I'm fairly certain that unless that's where you have the game extracted, it can't find the GOB file. So, an easier fix than the one I suggested is probably just to change that line.
So that's the issue! I'll have the game's archive re-uploaded so that line will read "GOB=C:\CONQUER\" (don't worry, I won't be putting in those quotation marks!) since there's no SIERRA folder anywhere in the archive. Thanks for finding the problem, Jaksen!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
Expack2
Game Request Hunter

I've updated the game's archive with the fix Jaksen found. It should prevent the Not enough memory to load Gob file or file not found error.