Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

View Poll Results: what is your preferred game database?
allgame.com 2 2.27%
giantbomb.com 0 0%
mobygames.com 52 59.09%
videogamegeek.com 0 0%
Wikipedia 22 25.00%
platform-specific (atarimania, lemonamiga etc.) 4 4.55%
other (specify) 8 9.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 AM   #1
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Question what's your preferred game database?

I got worried about MobyGames decline in popularity some time ago. Surely it has issues, like no promised interface/database update, but it's still hard to top it. In the meanwhile new websites with little content take over, because they're owned by companies pumping the marketing hype, while MG is being kept by GameFly in a cellar.

I was wondering, where people go first when they do their game research? Mind you, I'm not talking about reading latest press releases (news, previews), but digging up some info about forgotten title ...or seeking another wargame about Korean war... or looking for another title featuring your favorite voice actress. That differentiates a games database from some websites which only feature reviews (AdrenalineVault) or which collect info like FAQs/cheats (GameFAQs).

MobyGames aims to gather all platforms, be it Amiga, PC or Atari. Platform-specific websites means Hall of Light, LemonAmiga, Lemon64, WolrdofSpectrum etc.

Before you say Abandonia - it has a different purpose, it's about "abandoned" games, not even all old PC titles fit here (say, no TIE Fighter entry).

Try to list pros and cons of your website of choice in relation to other sites.

Last edited by RRS; 01-03-2013 at 03:21 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

When I search a game this is the order I usually follow:
1. Mobygames
2. Gamefaqs/Gamespot/IGN
3. Wikipedia
4. Allgame

I usually don't go beyond this, unless google redirects me elsewhere. Also, I would like to mention Allgame is really a gem. Needs more exposure and features and it would be the perfect company-sustained database.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Japo
Autonomous human

Hands down
Old 01-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Cluseck
Home Sweet Abandonia

Mostly MobyGames and Wikipedia, often TVTropes, sometimes AllGame.
Cluseck is offline                         Send a private message to Cluseck
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalAnarchy View Post
Allgame is really a gem
I'm not that optimistic. Usually lacks screenshots (which are a must in any such website). Speaking about allrovi, allmovie.com is way behind imdb.com ...it doesn't help that I submitted corrections weeks ago in order to fill in missing cast, and the info still isn't fixed.

Wikipedia
   constantly growing, huge user base and immense popularity (because it's not just about games)
   can list cancelled games or titles in production
   basically no screenshots - as a rule, so don't hope for a change
   next to no credits
   draconian rules of what you can contribute
   it's a wiki - if you complain about lack of advanced search options at MobyGames, here it's even worse

MobyGames
   advanced categorization (e.g. Anglo-American War of 1812 anyone?) and search options
   older than Wikipedia, many rare entries
   popularity / activity dropped in the recent years
   you may wait weeks or months to see your contribution approved (it desperately needs increasing its Approver workforce)
   since the 2010 acquisition by GameFly I lost hope to ever see the frontend being updated, because what once required a couple of willing people with free time, now is going to cost $$$
   can't list cancelled games or titles in production

any platform-specific website
   the best source about the given platform
   ...and only that platform - doesn't always mention/link to other ports of the game
   often just screenshots/covers, but no text description
   poor categorization
   usually features downloads, often treating them as abandonware, which may lead to legal problems someday and its subsequent disappearance from the net

I tried to be as objective as I can - despite the fact that if you read my other posts you already know where my heart belongs...

It would be very interesting to see this poll on the front page.

Last edited by RRS; 02-03-2013 at 01:30 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
alcaray3

I think "specify" means post in the thread? If so, my "other" response is explained by my using DuckDuckGo as my first attempt. This allows me to specify not only the game I want to research, but also any hook I can think of for locating the particular info I want.
alcaray3 is offline                         Send a private message to alcaray3
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Kalrak

I use Wikipedia
Kalrak is offline                         Send a private message to Kalrak
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
thatmexicanguy
Game freak

When doing my initial research, I typically start with Wikipedia. From there I will usually go to Mobygames, or even TVTropes , which is surprisingly enough a good resource for video game information.
thatmexicanguy is offline                         Send a private message to thatmexicanguy
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Scatty
Treasure hunter

Mobygames is usually enough for my needs. If I don't find something there, I dig it out on some site with best review through Google. Which often turns out to be IGN or Gamefaqs.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
twillight
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

I'm afraid I don't fully understand the question, but I try my best w/o voting because of that.

I mostly look after reviews, where usually the best source for me is gamespot.com

What I really in need many times is walkthroughs, and that's gamefaqs.com for me, and when the need of manuals as additional information to be able to play is demanded, then replacement.com is perfect

If I need a gameplay presentation (or when written material is not clear) youtube provides the best service. Many professional revier, tester and even companies put there videos. The site is useful too to find similar games when I'm up to a certain style of game (by providing a "related" option what abandonia does too).

If I'd need a specific technical information, developer's name, original concept, franchise info (other games of the title, other kind of products), what I rarely need I use wikipedia

If I ever get interested in a voice of character, character bio or other related stuff (these are specific but strong needs when they occur), the first source I try is imdb.com