Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 30-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #3371
Oskatat
Game freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
No, you do get some negatives for each killed civilians. But you get double if not even more negative if you kill them yourself!

But like I said, tazing them or otherwise any action which will stun them to the ground will save them. Short of having a grenade or bomb or anything explosive killing them. The Aliens will completely ignore them.

This is especially useful for the black ninja which name escape me.
Why didn't anything I ever read suggest this before? I usually brought those taser rods with me to see if I could nab a few aliens (extra points) and untill you get to plasmas they do pretty good in the walk through door... uh, hi! situation (large scout engine room is a good one for that), but I always left em behind on terror missions

as to the civvies: I cheat (a little) with saving and reloading if things go too far wrong. So I knew there were 12 civilians. You get at the end a report how many were saved, how many killed. 9 saved, 0 killed. Whut?

the ufopedia actually advices laser pistols above rifles, simply because you can get off 12 shots against 6, or even 9 vs 3. Even at worse accuracy and damage it's supposedly better.

Last edited by Oskatat; 30-06-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Oskatat is offline                         Send a private message to Oskatat
Old 30-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #3372
Japo
Autonomous human

I don't care about saving all civilians, I just do what I can.

It's for those uh hi situations that the motion scanner would have been useful. Anyway when you aren't ambushed and get to fire first, that's what auto fire is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskatat View Post
the ufopedia actually advices laser pistols above rifles
Which one, the one in the game or this wiki? Neither do such thing, and the second says the laser rifle is "arguably the best weapon in the game", while it says of the laser pistol that it's "unfortunately highly inadequate for precision attacks", and "useful ... as a secondary weapon"

Quote:
simply because you can get off 12 shots against 6, or even 9 vs 3.
How so? In XCOM1 there's no 2-handed advantage as in Apocalypse.

The objective score to assess a weapon is its expected damage per turn, along with its suitability for different situations (sniping, close range). The laser pistol is clearly worthless for long or medium range; the laser rifle is great at all distances. At close range if you use auto the laser rifle does 3 x 60 x 0.46 = 82.8 expected damage per burst, 82.8 / 0.34 = 243.5 per turn; whereas the laser pistol with its poorer accuracy and weaker punch does 38.6 expected damage per burst, and its faster firing rate only means 154.6 per turn.
Old 30-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #3373
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Quote:
You get at the end a report how many were saved, how many killed. 9 saved, 0 killed. Whut?
In this case I'd be more inclined to say that those civilians might have been "lost in action". Probably because a or the Chrysalids. Or maybe they were mind controlled.

Likewise, if you end a mission with one of your squaddies mind controlled then they will be "lost in action". That's why I think it might apply here.

Quote:
How so? In XCOM1 there's no 2-handed advantage as in Apocalypse.
That is true. But if I remember well, there is a 2-handed DISadvantage if you have something in your offhand and the weapon you are using is 2-handed.

Quote:
It's such a long thread that we keep repeating old discussions... :P
True. And it is also why I need to point out (again ) that it is very easy to do completely without simply by knowing where the aliens are likely to be and shooting down walls at key areas to make sure your LoS confirm there is no hidden alien, etc. And if you can do that then the scanner is nothing more than a waste of AP. Or at the very least a waste of space, which is a premium in this game in the Skyranger.

There is also the point of reliability. How the scanner work is that it show you an enemy who moved in the last turn. If you are hunting down an alien and he didn't move at all in the last turn then you'll get to think the area is clear when it is not and that's even worse than the reverse. I hate losing squaddies shot in the back simply because I wanted to save one or two turns.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #3374
Japo
Autonomous human

Destroying walls is very time consuming and isn't so easy or reliable depending on your weapon choice, specially for UFO hulls which only blaster bombs can damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle of Fire View Post
That is true. But if I remember well, there is a 2-handed DISadvantage if you have something in your offhand and the weapon you are using is 2-handed.
Yes it's -20% to accuracy. But the point is that if you shoot from both hands with whatever weapon you use the same TUs as if you shoot twice from one hand. Oskatat seemed to imply otherwise, and it's indeed different in Apocalypse in real time.

Because of this it's a non factor whether the weapon is 1- or 2-handed. If I have to fire with a soldier that's carrying something in his left hand I just drop it, the cost is 2 TUs which is virtually free, and it doesn't cause aliens to react. Picking it up again is a little more costly (8 TUs) but not so much, and I can do it in the following turn, and after the immediate area is clear I could waste a whole turn if I wanted.

Also if you think a laser pistol must be a better weapon than a laser rifle held with one hand: auto fire, laser pistol 38.6 expected damage per burst, 154.6 per turn; laser rifle held in one hand 82.8 x 0.8 = 66.2 per burst, 243.5 x 0.8 = 194.8 per turn. And again there's no reason that could force you to fire a rifle with one hand since you can drop what you're holding in the other one at no cost, as I said.

I'm mentioning values per burst as well as per turn because if an alien isn't killed by your attack it will fire back before you can fire a second time.

Last edited by Japo; 01-07-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Japo is offline                         Send a private message to Japo
Old 01-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #3375
Eagle of Fire
Friendly Fire

Well, just to make things clear I know the rifle is better than the pistol. No issue here.

Also I don't bring down walls of UFOs either. But that's a completely new story. There is, however, always a way to make sure you can see or shoot the aliens before they can fire at you. One of my favorite tactic in UFO, since the AI is too clumsy to use grenades well, is to bunch a few squaddies reasonably far from the entrance and have only one of my high reaction tactical squaddie open the door. And quickly jump to the side if there is enemies inside.

The way reaction work, if my tactical squaddie is still full in TU there is a very, very slim chance he'll get fired upon at all. Then the other squaddies snipe the aliens.

I follow the same tactic for the rest of the UFO. It is only dangerous for your squaddies if you are low on TU and the alien don't move much and thus don't waste TU. Which mean that in this situation the scanner would be useless too anyways.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #3376
xFred99x
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review and Download (if available)
Nice Game,

but how can I download it. I can´t find a downloadbutton for the Game or somthing else.

Fred.
xFred99x is offline                         Send a private message to xFred99x
Old 10-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #3377
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Yes, because there isn't one. There is a big "Buy it" button though, which means that you're going to have to buy this game if you want to play it.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #3378
Palocles
Abandonia nerd

XCom is available as slightly illegal free downloads on the internet though.

Home of the Underdogs and Abandonware Paradise (if i have that name right) might have it, otherwise Google is God.
Palocles is offline                         Send a private message to Palocles
Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3379
The Fifth Horseman
FUTURE SCIENCE BASTARD

What HOTU has is this:
Quote:
This game is not currently available. It is either still on sale or has been removed at the request of the owner.
"Abandonware" does not mean "aah, it's old, just pirate it".

"God. Can't you people see I'm trying to commit a crime against science and nature here?"
-- Reed Richards
The Fifth Horseman is offline                         Send a private message to The Fifth Horseman
Old 12-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #3380
Palocles
Abandonia nerd

Maybe it can be DLed legally form that Steam thing?
Palocles is offline                         Send a private message to Palocles