Go Back   Forums > Abandonia.com > Games Discussion
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #191
benpfaa
Default Old Forest

Am I the only one who has trouble with the Old Forest? I swear, every time I play, it takes me hours just to find my way out again. You're supposed to go south from the NW ruins, then east till you can go no further, then south once more, and find the winding southern road. Do not stray east, the true road is south and winding. But I can never seem to find that road until I've been wandering for hours (real time). How the heck do I consistently find the path?? I've lost so many hours of my life over this!!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #192
Unreg

Use a map?

http://fradmo.altervista.org/lrpc/2a.htm

Old 09-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #193
m_16
Default Smaug and paragraphs

Does any paragraph in the addendum is genuine?

The first one talks about palantir in Shire though it may very well be a spoof...Some other says about meeting Smaug, who is said to survive the black Arrow....Are these fake paragrphs to disorient the reader or is there Smaug somewhere in the game?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #194
TheChosen
"I" in the Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_16 View Post
Does any paragraph in the addendum is genuine?

The first one talks about palantir in Shire though it may very well be a spoof...Some other says about meeting Smaug, who is said to survive the black Arrow....Are these fake paragrphs to disorient the reader or is there Smaug somewhere in the game?
I haven't actually played this game, but if the paragraph thing is supposed to work out like in some other old RPG's, the answer is yes. In mids of real paragraphs there are fake paragraphs which are supposed to throw off players like you who attempt to read ahead. Only playing the game can you work out which one's are real and which one's are fake.
TheChosen is offline                         Send a private message to TheChosen
Old 16-07-2013, 03:02 AM   #195
TwilightPurple

Default Another possible bug?

Hi, I seem to have encountered a bug in the 1.3 version. (Spoilers ahead!)

After retrieving the eight cloaks and returning to Elrond, the game does not acknowledge that I completed that quest. I believe a message should pop up when I approach Elrond, but nothing happens. I cannot TRADE the cloaks to him, nor can I USE them. Talking to him doesn't help, either. Because of this, I'm unable to receive the warmth potion (I already got the magic word from another Elf).

I think this is the third time it's happened to me. Several years ago, I replayed the whole game from scratch and it finally worked. This time, restarting didn't fix the problem. Has anyone else encountered this issue before or has any suggestions?
TwilightPurple is offline                         Send a private message to TwilightPurple
Old 16-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #196
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

Perhaps someone has a savegame they can give to you? Or is the version one that can be reinstalled from a different souce, such as Squakenet.com perhaps?

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 16-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #197
arete
If All Else Fails, Play Dead

I'm now going to imagine a terrible joke about Gandalf, the Nine Walkers and a ring of Great Power. If I elucidate, I could well be permabanned for emotionally scarring the children.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..."
arete is offline                         Send a private message to arete
Old 22-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #198
TwilightPurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
Perhaps someone has a savegame they can give to you? Or is the version one that can be reinstalled from a different souce, such as Squakenet.com perhaps?
Thanks for the reply (gosh, it's quiet in here). I went ahead without the miruvor and did alright.

*Spoilers Ahead*

And the bugs just keep on coming! I thought I'd warn everyone about two more issues I encountered today. If anyone would like to comment on them, please do.

After finishing with Moria, I prepared for Frodo (my Ringbearer) and Sam's imminent disappearance. I traded all of their valuable items (except the One Ring, obviously) to my other party members so I wouldn't regret anything later. Later on, when I needed to dig up the scabbard for Galadriel's quest, I realized I'd left my shovel with Frodo when he got whisked away. The game wouldn't let me dig with the pick or Durin's Pick, so I needed to backtrack and obtain a new shovel. I walked all the way back to the Gorthad cavern, where I could grab a shovel without spending any silver pennies. The problem occurred while walking back east (where the map changes from the East Road to Bree). When I tried to cross over east, I got the message, "You have lost the Ring. You cannot proceed until you have recovered it", followed by "Pippin Took is dead". Every subsequent attempt to exit eastward would repeat the above, killing off yet another member of the Fellowship. Restoring an earlier save, I discovered that this doesn't happen when I leave the eastern edge of the Bree map. Luckily, I was able to buy a shovel in Bree and return to Lorien without incident. Moral of the story: make sure you relieve your Ringbearer and Sam of the shovel before they disappear to Dol Guldur.

While on the topic of Galadriel's quest, I encountered the same problem mentioned in the walkthrough. After getting all five quest items, Galadriel did not reward me the stats boost. This is basically a repeat of my earlier problem with returning the black cloaks to Elrond. I tried giving all five items to a single party member, approaching/asking/trading to Galadriel and her flet guard: nothing worked. Although the stats increase isn't really essential to finishing the game, it's still maddening to not be rewarded for my troubles. Has this happened to anyone else?
TwilightPurple is offline                         Send a private message to TwilightPurple
Old 15-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #199
Mystvan
Vice-Chair-man Poke-man

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo423 View Post
I've played this game since I was in grade school. I still have the original CD ROM that my parents bought for me (hence me being able to play it on my Mac). I've read the whole thread, and I'm hoping I can answer a couple of questions.

1) The elf in Lorien with the "greatest enemy of all" question. I got this right once. It was either "oneself" or "myself" or "self" or something like that.

2) Character death/ disappearance is avoidable for the most part. In Bree, Bill Ferny does not take my pony. In Moria, Gandalf doesn't die. The only time I actually lose someone is right outside Moria, when the storyline takes the ring bearer (I don't particularly mind since he really isn't my best muscle). To avoid changes like this, save your game before you get to the event point. Right before you encounter the Prancing Pony, or the Balrog, dismiss the key character i.e. Pony, Gandalf. Once the event has passed, re-recruit them. In the instance of the Balrog, all I did was have Gimli use the Golden Wheel (which doesn't kill the Balrog but just lets you escape). I then creep my fellowship back into Moria, and re-recruit Gandalf (and being careful not to get too close to the Balrog).

3) The glitches in the games are annoying to say the least. Some of them you have to be incredibly careful about. For instance, my fellowship heading into Moria consists of only Frodo, with Gandalf, Gimli,Legolas,Boromir,Aragorn. Instead of the other 3 hobbits, I insert Hawkeye, Glorfindel, Elladan, and Elrohir (total of 10). With Hawkeye, Elladan, and Elrohir, once I dismiss them, I can no longer re-recruit them. I don't know if this is a glitch just for my game or a glitch for others. But you have to be careful.

4) With Hawkeye's cave I was able to go in there before I met him. So I was able to collect everything from the chest and still not have him die.

5) There is supposedly a glitch when finding the Torc of Maladin in the hole in Bree. After the first jump, if you go any further to the east, an error occurs. What I do is walk up with the keypad as far as I can, and then move east. I save my game right before it so in case it doesn't work, I don't have to keep crawling down the hill, equipping the torch, etc. You still should be able to acquire the torc this way.

I have others, but i'm in the process of a playthrough. If I can think of any more I will post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
I'm now going to imagine a terrible joke about Gandalf, the Nine Walkers and a ring of Great Power. If I elucidate, I could well be permabanned for emotionally scarring the children.
Wow! I never imagined that Iron Lady had two smileys! Not to mention the three holy and sacred legendary artifacts...

I also would never imagine that (Mi)Lady of the Rings had a clone (Frodo 423)...

I’ve never played this game, but if you like LOTR in other genres like Action, Adventure, you could try out the Lego LOTR game.

At first, I found it dull and “childish”, but the game has characteristics that set it apart from the vast majority of Lego games: possibility to explore and visit places, find treasures, solve side quests, etc.

EDIT:

In my opinion, I think that Lego LOTR is the best game in the Lego franchise. Obviously this is merely a personal opinion.

The musics, the cut-scenes, the story, all were drawn from the LOTR trilogy.

There had also been a spin-off of LOTR called The Hobbit. But with the introduction, or rather, the modifications of commands, different from LOTR and also from the lower plot in relation to LOTR, may disappoint your players...

Last edited by Mystvan; 16-09-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Mystvan is offline                         Send a private message to Mystvan
Old 20-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #200
LaFey
Abandonia nerd

Smile It's that time of the yea, or decade - again.

Here comes my by-yearly comment on this section.

Unfortunately the walkthrough site by Turrog/Dront is down

http://fradmo.altervista.org/lrpc/index.htm

I tried to contact him and still got no reply - still he himself has asserted that he seldom looks at that address so let's wait. Internet Archive/Wayback Machine has no working mirror - the original is image heavy and is thus mangled.

To new readers of the thread I recommend Michal Benes engine if you manage to run it (it's not much of a stretch either) and Turrog excellent and detailed walkthrough.

A nice article - if somewhat unrelated - is to be found here:
https://www.filfre.net/2017/05/an-in...es-on-tolkien/