Go Back   Forums > Community Chatterbox > Gaming Zone
Memberlist Forum Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Click here to use Advanced Search

Old 23-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
PrincessCasey

Default Games you played when feeling ill

You know when you're feeling really sick, you have the day in bed, you can't get up and no ones in the house but you. I've been like that for a few days now with an ear ache that I just can't shift. It sucks. I tend to play one of the older final fantasy games because you can just plough through it and it can keep you entertained for hours on end it's simple enough to get through but complicated enough to take your mind off of the pains.

I'm without a play station at the moment sadly, and although I've got an open pandora, I'm getting a bit sick of the small screen...

Are there any dos games you can recommend that are similar or that you use? It doesn't have to be an RPG...
PrincessCasey is offline                         Send a private message to PrincessCasey
Old 23-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Scatty
Treasure hunter

I would recommend you this one, but unfortunately it's not available for download here anymore. Instead it's sold by Good Old Games (GOG) now. Or you coud buy an original boxed version on eBay.
If you can get hold of it however, it's a catching game and has a very high replayability value once (if) you get into it, you could easily spend weeks with all it's random possibilities. Ideal for cases like these.
Scatty is offline                         Send a private message to Scatty
Old 24-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #3
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

With your condition I'd recommend something slow (your reflex suffers when you play while being bedridden) and without sound. How about interactive fiction?

When I was a teen I thought girls prefer story-driven games...

Get well soon! (<- no matter how cliche it sounds)
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS
Old 24-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #4
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatty View Post
I would recommend you this one
Actually, modern Warlock: Master of the Arcane is quite successfull attempt to recreate MoM feeling for me. Game still suffer from heavy diplomatic issues that make it unplayable for me, but if you are more "war" than "peace" man, it will do the trick, IMHO.
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 24-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
PrincessCasey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS View Post
With your condition I'd recommend something slow (your reflex suffers when you play while being bedridden) and without sound. How about interactive fiction?

When I was a teen I thought girls prefer story-driven games...

Get well soon! (<- no matter how cliche it sounds)
Ooh a text game does sound like fun especially if I can spend as much time as I need to think about each action. I've been heavily abusing Final Fantasy 8s pause lately....
Speaking of text games, I've heard of but never played Zork, does it live up to it's hype?

And thanks for the get well soon, this is day 12 now, I'm sick of it

Casey x
Old 24-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
TotalAnarchy
Surviving the Dark Age

Most old IFs do no live up to the hype surrounding them, but they are still good games.
Old 24-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Tracker
Home Sweet Abandonia

Well, if there are adventure games that are really great for boring afternoons, are Eric the Unready, Shannara, Death Gate, Legend of Kyrandia 2, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Discworld, you can download these from our site, and all of the LucasArts adventure games (Loom, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max: Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango). However all of those have to be paid for. They are available on Steam for a few bucks each.
Other than that, you might want to try some RPGs as well, I recommend Ultima VII, Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry VI, Darklands, and Betrayal at Krondor.
One more thing, if you can get Gobliiins, Gobliins 2, or Goblins 3, consider yourself lucky and play them until they're completed.

Reverend Preacherbot: Wretched sinner unit! The path to Robot Heaven lies here, in the Good Book 3.0.
Bender: Hey. Do I preach at you when you're lying stoned in the gutter? No!
Tracker is offline                         Send a private message to Tracker
Old 30-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Smiling Spectre
10 GOSUB Abandonia
20 GOTO 10

Send a message via ICQ to Smiling Spectre Send a message via AIM to Smiling Spectre Send a message via MSN to Smiling Spectre

Three-pack of Goblins available on GoG for 6$.

Strange, I believed that they had Goblins 4 too...
Smiling Spectre is offline                         Send a private message to Smiling Spectre
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
PrincessCasey

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I'm still very poorly, I have been to the hospital and I'm going to have to go again tomorrow. Wish me luck, I always get so frightened....
Old 01-02-2013, 01:43 AM   #10
RRS
(Gaming) History Buff

I hate hospitals too. To the point that even the "sexy nurse costume" doesn't work for me

A relaxing thing you can play even with your ear ache (music is nice, but it's just in the background, so skip for the time being). Haven't seen a computer implementation of origami before!
http://www.kongregate.com/games/Bryc...s-origami-game

Last edited by RRS; 01-02-2013 at 01:52 AM.
RRS is offline                         Send a private message to RRS